Self-Defense Shooting - Good/Bad

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think there might be some lessons here:

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20100909malden_mom_is_glad_son_had_gun/

The mother of a Malden man who survived being struck with four bullets in a gunfight that left the other two men dead said yesterday that she is grateful her son was armed with his licensed handgun at the time.
“He had it on him. Why, I don’t know. His friends said he’s never had it on him. But I am very thankful he did. Otherwise it would have been him killed,” said Kathleen Becerra, 47.

Lesson One: If you choose to go about armed, be armed. As I've noted before, a lot of CCW holders choose sometimes not to carry their weapons. This man was apparently lucky - the one time he decided to carry it, he needed it.

The friend told the Herald Tuesday that Bourque struggled to pull his gun from his waistband but ended up firing through his clothes.

Lesson Two: Keep your weapon accessible. If you can't get at it in a hurry, you may have problems like these. Amazing that he managed to kill both alleged robbers by firing through his own clothes.

Police initially called it an apparent robbery. A spokeswoman for the Middlesex District Attorney’s office said the circumstances remain under investigation. Police found all three men lying outside the house; Tombs and Dipre died later. Bourque is hospitalized with wounds to his groin, wrist and chest.

Lesson Three: I am taking a guess here, but I'll suppose that the 'groin' injury was accidentally self-inflicted. So this lesson is self-evident; do not carry your weapon in the waistband of your trousers. You've heard of putting your weapon on 'half-cock'. Well, don't be like your gun. Know what I mean, Vern?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The defender got in to this confrontation while sitting on his own front porch.

Malden has been one of only a couple cities near Boston that hasn't effectively denied the right to carry, but in the wake of this shooting (and another shooting earlier in the week), the mayor is now going to put pressure on the Malden PD to issue fewer LTCs. *facepalm*

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad that all turned out well for the guy, with the exception of shooting himself. Sounds like he should look into a gun safety class though. LOL. All kidding aside, Bill made some very good points. #2 could even apply to females who carry pepperspray. If ya gotta dig thru your purse to find it, well......

bribrius

Green Belt
Reaction score
i don't carry very often.

I know, i know, it is just inconvenient. More concerned about someone breaking into the car if i leave it there and getting ahold of it. I left a few in cars before, even other peoples cars. you don't feel like having it on you, or go someplace you shouldnt be carrying. shove it under the seat. Forget about it.

Then they call you or you call them kinda of, umm, did i happen to leave a handgun under your seat?

Also liability. If it becomes close quarters going for the gun can be a free for all. Could be used against you, or cause harm as your trying to protect it. It adds a further liability to any confrontation. Now you are faced with a. pulling it out even if they dont have one, or b. risking the physical confontation and them getting ahold of it. It puts you in a awkward no win situation.
And if your someone that doesn't believe in brandishing a weapon without seriously good cause then you might end up in the free for all over it. That being said, if i came accross a situation where a firearm was introduced by another i will probably wish i had it.
But kids, others. I always worry they will get ahold of one if i leave it in the car. I wouldnt want to add to someone elses assault by providing the firearm for it. But i am realy mellow anyway. I would probably let someone walk out of my house with my tv before i would consider shooting them. I can buy a new tv. I would rather do that than always question that action, or wonder what future the person could have had. Life in jeopardy, well that would be reactionary. Different situation.

Latest Discussions