self defense in public schools

Michael Robinson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Do your guys belive in self defense in public schools if you fight back in school You might get iss - in school suspension or oss - out of school suspension or expelled from school because I self defense my self in school when i was in 8th grade but now i am in 10th grade i got introuble and they give me iss and oss because i have punch the white boy back because he punch me frist and he got away with it he did not got introuble only i did if you don't fight back bully will still pick on you or you might kill your self like people do when they get bully or the bully might beat you up if you go tell you school you getting bully they will not doing nothing untill you kill your self or fight back like the girl die in her highschool bath like a group of boys and girl jump her in the girls bathroom and she die and the school was asking these racist question if i am a blood gang member or gang bang or if the gang tell me to fight him but i did not say nothing but i do cyber school online now and read this link about the girl got kill in her school bathroom ?Three girls charged in Delaware bathroom death - CNN.com

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might suggest the addition of some punctuation in your post. It's really tough to read a really long run-on sentence like that.

As for defending yourself in school, that's a choice. When I was in school, I knew I'd probably be suspended if I defended myself. I did so anyway, and just accepted the consequences. Just make sure you didn't do anything to foster the fight (don't talk smack, don't push people, don't tell them they wouldn't dare, etc.), so you know you were defending yourself, and not fighting - those are two very different things.

OP
Michael Robinson

Michael Robinson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I might suggest the addition of some punctuation in your post. It's really tough to read a really long run-on sentence like that.

As for defending yourself in school, that's a choice. When I was in school, I knew I'd probably be suspended if I defended myself. I did so anyway, and just accepted the consequences. Just make sure you didn't do anything to foster the fight (don't talk smack, don't push people, don't tell them they wouldn't dare, etc.), so you know you were defending yourself, and not fighting - those are two very different things.
Ok I will .

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do your guys belive in self defense in public schools if you fight back in school You might get iss - in school suspension or oss - out of school suspension or expelled from school because I self defense my self in school when i was in 8th grade but now i am in 10th grade i got introuble and they give me iss and oss because i have punch the white boy back because he punch me frist and he got away with it he did not got introuble only i did if you don't fight back bully will still pick on you or you might kill your self like people do when they get bully or the bully might beat you up if you go tell you school you getting bully they will not doing nothing untill you kill your self or fight back like the girl die in her highschool bath like a group of boys and girl jump her in the girls bathroom and she die and the school was asking these racist question if i am a blood gang member or gang bang or if the gang tell me to fight him but i did not say nothing but i do cyber school online now and read this link about the girl got kill in her school bathroom ?Three girls charged in Delaware bathroom death - CNN.com
Do your guys belive in self defense in public schools if you fight back in school? You might get iss - in school suspension or oss - out of school suspension or expelled from school.

I self defense my self in school when i was in 8th grade but now i am in 10th grade. I got introuble and they give me iss and oss because i have punch the white boy back because he punch me frist and he got away with it he did not got introuble only i did. If you don't fight back bully will still pick on you, or you might kill your self like people do when they get bully, or the bully might beat you up if you go tell you school you getting bully they will not doing nothing.
Untill you kill your self or fight back like the girl die in her highschool bath.

A group of boys and girl jump her in the girls bathroom and she die and the school was asking these racist question if i am a blood gang member or gang bang or if the gang tell me to fight him, but i did not say nothing but i do cyber school online now.

Read this link about the girl got kill in her school bathroom: Three girls charged in Delaware bathroom death - CNN.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I added punctuation in. Avoided changing words around since I didn't want to change your post on you (I did delete three words just because they were run-ons, so otherwise I wouldn't be able to add periods, but that was it). Hopefully this makes it more readable for everyone.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will let you in on a little secret. All fights have consequences. You get suspended you get hurt you hurt someone else. That is why fighting is not something to engage in lightly.

But if the reason for fighting is good enough then sometimes you have to fight regardless of the consequences.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just realized I never actually answered the question: I have no issue with self-defense. I got into a couple fights in school, and got ISS for one of them (the one that got found out). I don't regret any of them, as I probably would have been bullied had I not fought. However, things could have ended a lot worse, and you need to be sure you're ready for the consequences, and it's worth the risks, before fighting someone. Especially in the situations where your life is not in danger.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do your guys belive in self defense in public schools if you fight back in school
I tell my son to fight back and defend himself. Being suspended from school is a healthier alternative to getting your but kick. Spending time at home away from school vs time in the hospital is an easy choice for me. As a kid, this was the rule that I followed.

When I was in school, I knew I'd probably be suspended if I defended myself. I did so anyway, and just accepted the consequences.
I had no problems fighting back and often did as kid. I was harassed a lot as kid. I wouldn't say that I was bullied because it was always a different person and after I stood my ground it stopped. Kids just need to put their safety and well being before anything else.

I will let you in on a little secret. All fights have consequences. You get suspended you get hurt you hurt someone else. That is why fighting is not something to engage in lightly.

But if the reason for fighting is good enough then sometimes you have to fight regardless of the consequences.
I agree 100%. If a fight can be avoided then avoid it. But don't avoid it, it's going to put you in more danger than fighting back.

Kids these days are brutal and I think it's because no one beat that butt earlier on in life, so they feel they can get way with stuff.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Avoid all fights if possible, but I would say to go all in if you do fight seriously so as to suppress future fights.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Public schools in the UK are those really expensive schools like Eton, Harrow and Rugby which have been going for centuries with pupils from various aristocracies and royalty etc ( it needs more than money to get you into these places) so it's unlikely you would get expelled for fighting, you might get suspended but as boarding schools it's more likely you'd get some other punishment.
In our other schools, who knows, each one is different with different rules.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Be careful, Michael, school can be tough. Avoid as much as you can, but defend yourself as need be.

As was said, try to punctuate your sentence, we can read it easier and get a better feel for what you're going through. This online stuff is sometimes hard to decipher.

There's always a racial thing to any fights in school between kids of different races. Even if there really isn't - others want to make it seem like there is. That's another reason to avoid as much as possible.

Wishing you the best, bro. Stick it out, only a couple years to go.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Self-defence is self-defence. In schools and out the law is the same.

The difference is there is more one entity asking for an explanation. You just need to articulate your behaviour. If you used minimum (or reasonable) force... bla bla bla... and you articulate it well, you have all on your side. They cannot punish you!

The problem is the other guy(s) that probably will look for revenge...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tell my son to fight back and defend himself. Being suspended from school is a healthier alternative to getting your but kick. Spending time at home away from school vs time in the hospital is an easy choice for me. As a kid, this was the rule that I followed.

I had no problems fighting back and often did as kid. I was harassed a lot as kid. I wouldn't say that I was bullied because it was always a different person and after I stood my ground it stopped. Kids just need to put their safety and well being before anything else.

I agree 100%. If a fight can be avoided then avoid it. But don't avoid it, it's going to put you in more danger than fighting back.

Kids these days are brutal and I think it's because no one beat that butt earlier on in life, so they feel they can get way with stuff.

The kids I grew up with were just as brutal, even though most were upper-class (unlike me). Some of the worst I knew got spanked (some even beaten). Good discipline isn't a matter of physicality or not - it's a matter of getting the right lesson through. Punishment is a necessary part of the process, but it has serious issues in the results it gets.

Gerry Seymour
Shojin-Ryu, Nihon Goshin Aikido

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The difference is there is more one entity asking for an explanation. You just need to articulate your behaviour. If you used minimum (or reasonable) force... bla bla bla... and you articulate it well, you have all on your side. They cannot punish you!

Not entirely accurate. Schools have the authority to punish defenders, too. "Zero tolerance" is idiotic, but exists, nonetheless.

Gerry Seymour

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not entirely accurate. Schools have the authority to punish defenders, too. "Zero tolerance" is idiotic, but exists, nonetheless.

Gerry Seymour
So they should loss in court. Grey area maybe...

In that case, I go with you. Better time at home than in the hospital. :) Furthermore, psychological issues doesn't heal as fast... Better beat the bad guys and keep confident. BUT not overconfident neither neglect prevention...

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Michael, I going to guess you can see there are many answers to your question. There are several problems with your question as well. We only know your side. I'm not saying your are in the wrong or telling lies. But I don't know if there may be other reasons for bullying you. That might give us insight as to how you should best react.

For example if you aren't inclined to fight for whatever reason, but you don't wish to seem a coward, so you talk back, or react in some way the ego of the bullies think they have to defend their reputation. Or you constantly taunt other boys just to anger them, then don't want to fight. Or whatever. How do you see the actions of the bullies?

In schools, zero tolerance usually means if two people fight, both are punished. I think it is a dumb way to act, and doesn't stop bad behavior. I also think it is cowardly on the part of school systems. But it is the policy of so many schools. So you have choices to make.

I am curious though. Have you talked to your parents or any of your teachers about this? Would you share what you asked them and what they told you? Are there no other black students there? Are all students or all black students asked about gang membership by school administrators?

Also, I see in your avatar that you apparently take martial arts. What do you study? Did you use it in the fight? Have you talked to your martial arts teacher about this? If you used your martial art, your teacher there has a stake in this too. Also, martial arts teachers may have better answers about how to deal with violence. That is one of the big things martial arts are about.

I sure wish you luck with this. There aren't always easy answers to these situations. I would just encourage you to always try to take the high road.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do your guys belive in self defense in public schools
The law allows you to defend yourself, it does not however permit you to fight, fighting is usually illegal outside the confines or a sanctioned sporting contest. Schools cannot take away your legal right to defend yourself. The problem is that male martial artists confuse fighting with self defence because fighting is the only skill they have (There is a saying; When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem becomes a nail) and so this is their default response when dealing with self defence. This is why people get into trouble for fighting.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Public schools in the UK are those really expensive schools like Eton, Harrow and Rugby which have been going for centuries with pupils from various aristocracies and royalty etc ( it needs more than money to get you into these places) so it's unlikely you would get expelled for fighting, you might get suspended but as boarding schools it's more likely you'd get some other punishment.
In our other schools, who knows, each one is different with different rules.
Public vs private schools is used opposite in America than in the UK. You know this, as this has come up in the past. Why intentionally muddy the waters?

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Ok, this may not apply everywhere. But it was my experience.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The law allows you to defend yourself, it does not however permit you to fight, fighting is usually illegal outside the confines or a sanctioned sporting contest. Schools cannot take away your legal right to defend yourself. The problem is that male martial artists confuse fighting with self defence because fighting is the only skill they have (There is a saying; When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem becomes a nail) and so this is their default response when dealing with self defence. This is why people get into trouble for fighting.
That's a rather sweeping generalization without proper evidence.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's a rather sweeping generalization without proper evidence.
I didn't think it needed to be clarified, clearly I over estimated our readership, so to clarify "most" male martial artists not "all".

As for evidence, pick a thread in the self defence section...

Latest Discussions