Security Warning!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm noticing a lot more fishing attempts going on as of late.

Please note:
Under NO circumstances will PayPal, Ebay, your local Bank, Amazon, etc email you and ask you for your account information.

Under NO circumstances should you fill in the forms, etc.

Login to your account NORMALLY! (That means Paypal.com or ebay.com, etc, not the nice 123.123.123.123 or whatever address in the email you got)
Then contact their support normally.

Be forewarned, be safe.

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for that, Bob. I've never responded to one of those, but I have gotten a couple of them before. Do you know if there is somewhere we can send the IP address if we believe that it's a fake? FBI or something?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I almost fell for a PayPal attempt a couple of years ago. :whip:

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Paypal stuff you can send to spoof at paypal.com

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i keep getting an email from paypal saying i had another email address added to my account ...except i dont have a paypal account to start with ...would this be what you are taking about?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BrandiJo said:
i keep getting an email from paypal saying i had another email address added to my account ...except i dont have a paypal account to start with ...would this be what you are taking about?

Yup, although they can get a lot more complex and believable.

I've even heard of people getting your credit card number, calling you with it and trying to get other info from you.

I saw one that was a bank account one, they had a site up that looked like the banks and if you looked at your address bar it would show the bank until you scrolled it to the right.

Like this:
http://bankname.com?agdcnw01343&[email protected]

everything before the "@" basically gets ignored and it takes you to the address after that, which is not vissible without scrolling the address bar over.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The one I got today was interesting. The address was something like 0x16.0x10.0x10.0x10 which I've never seen. The page on the other side was sneaky. It looked like paypal. You "login" and it brings you to another page asking all sorts of info, including your debit card PIN. Once you enter that, it "logs you out" and takes you to paypals site to log back in. Everything looks right in there, links etc would goto paypal.com. There's no reason however for Paypal to ask for your information in this manner, or especially to ask for your PIN.

Of course, I used false info, of a rather rude nature. :D

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Normally, these scam sites are simple database front-ends that collect your login info, then show a login failed message before forwarding you to the real site. Most people will assume that they misspelled their password and login again. Personally, I like to login to their sites with madeup login info. The more people that do this type of thing, the less use they get from their database of stolen info. You just have to be up-to-date on your browser security patches and anti-virus dat files.

Latest Discussions