setting permissions in XP

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I installed Trillian on the Administrator account as well as some printer software. While I can see the printer software on my user account, I can't locate Trillian. Been all over the place trying to set permissions for it, but can't find that either.

HELP

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
EDIT: apologies, misread your post.

Can you see Trillian when logged in as Administrator? If so, it may have been installed for only the administrator account, instead of installing it for all users. Let me know.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I installed Trillian on the Administrator account as well as some printer software. While I can see the printer software on my user account, I can't locate Trillian. Been all over the place trying to set permissions for it, but can't find that either.

HELP

Trillian is a pain in the *** like that. When I restored all the PCs in the tech department at our office, I thought I'd save the hassle of installing MSN YAHOO and AIM on all the boxes and just put on trillian.

I could NOT get it to install across all the profiles. If you figure it out, clue me in too.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lady_kaur said:
Can you see Trillian when logged in as Administrator? If so, it may have been installed for only the administrator account, instead of installing it for all users. Let me know.

Yes, I can see it and use it as Administrator, and I tried setting it as the default IM program to see if it would work for all users that way, but ... alas ... no Trillian.

I have the installation program still on the desktop of Administrator, too. Don't remember being asked if I wanted to install it for only one user ....

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
you might have to temporarily give a user admin priveliges.....install the app under the user name.....and then remove admin priveliges.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Alrighty - I logged on as Administrator, opened Explorer, copied the shortcut from the Admin desktop to my user desktop. That allows me to run Trillian with the Administrator's acct. I can take it from there.