Secrets of Kalis Illustrimo book?

C

Crash14

Has anyone read the book 'Secrets of Kalis Illustrimo'? Is it any good, I'm looking to possibly get it online but don't know if it's mostly history or techniques realted.

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Haven't read the book yet - but will pick it up at some point. Their "Complete Siniwali" book is pretty good - shows atypical siniwali patterns.

You would probably get a better idea of Kalis Illustrisimo from Bakbakan's video series than from reading the book - although it's probably pretty good. Re. the history of Kalis Illustrisimo, Mark Wiley has information in both Filipino Fighting Arts andFilipino Martial Culture. John Chow also has a brief history at: http://home.netvigator.com/~kimfung1/kaliillustrisimo1.htm

Best,

Steve Lamade

John J

Green Belt
Reaction score
A non-bias opinion :)

In short, the opening is on History & Development, which makes up less than 20% of the material. The remainder of the book takes a look at the fundamentals of the art from stances & footwork to fighting techniques (with both stick and sword applications) including disarms with the panyo or handkerchief. The last chapter summarizes the fighting principles & strategies.

All in all, it was a good book that met it's objective; to introduce the fighting art of the late GM Antonio "Tatang" Ilustrisimo.

Yours in the Arts,

Guro John
BAKBAKAN International
www.bakbakan.com

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Crash14
Has anyone read the book 'Secrets of Kalis Illustrimo'? Is it any good, I'm looking to possibly get it online but don't know if it's mostly history or techniques realted.

I've got it and it's a good combination of both.
Yours,
Dan Anderson

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have the book too.

It is a good reference book!!!

Get the Complete Siniwali book too, it has some great patterns.

Maybe you can get John J to autograph one for you:).

OP
R

Rob Wilson

Hi there,

My two cents worth: it is a very interesting read with a good amount of detail but most importantly it seems to provide some insight into the principles of the art and how it is different or similar from others. Also, it is reall cool to learn how tough it was for the current masters to be accepted as students by the late Illustrisimo. A great read!

Thanks

Rob

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
i also have the book it is a good overview, if you can get a hold of the mandirigma video series of kalis illustrisimo (3 tape set) featuring GM tatang illustrisimo...... get it,,, it is far more comprehensive than the book everything on the book is on that video and more much more......

thanks

terry

John J

Green Belt
Reaction score
As mentioned on a previous thread, the KI videos series from Mandirigma is more demonstrative rather than instructional.
Tatang was 86 when the video was shot and his ability to react & counter is still amazing to watch. He was a true Warrior!

Bakbakan International has a limited amount of these videos & other titles. If anyone is interested, contact Master Galang at: arjee@aol

1. Kali Ilustrisimo volumes 1 - 3. Tatang, T. Diego,
Y. Romo, C. Ricketts and R. Galang.
2. Lightning Scientific Arnis - GM Ben Lema, Elmer Ybanez and Vic
Sanchez.
3. Modern Arnis - 1 & 2. Features Rodel Dagooc and his
group
4. Lapunti Arnis De Abanico - GM Caburnay & Johnny
Chiuten.

John

OP
C

CiNcO dOsE

how many sets of kali ilustrisimo videos are there?!

1) mandirigma series, 3 vol
2) christopher ricketts, 4 vol series

are there any more?! ive read a UP production or something somewhere, is this another set?!

i havent seen the mandirigma series on the net, where might id be able to find them?!

ive got the secrets of kalis ilustrisimo and complete sinawali books. i havent started reading the complete sinawali, but im currently enjoying the secrets of kalis ilustrisimo book ;)

OP
J

Joe Eccleston

I came across this book today, while perusing through at Borders. It was the only book in the Martial Arts shelf about Filipino Martial Arts, so I took it off the shelf, ordered some coffee, took a seat and started reading.

I especially liked the Villabrille expose, regarding his training with Ilustrisimo, the absence of the word 'Kali' until this word pops up out of nowhere in Hawaii, and the debunking of the whole 'Blind Princess of Gandara' story.

I also especially enjoyed the Balintawak connection. Tatang Ilustrisimo was from Cebu, and actually met Timor Maranga as a young boy while serving in prison. It turns out Timor Maranga, who grew up to be one of Balintawak's patriarchs, learned a few techniques from Tatang Ilustrisimo.

Tony Diego and Yuli Romo, both from Cebu also, trained in Balintawak before meeting Tatang Ilustrisimo. Is it just me or do all great eskrimadors from the Philippines hail from the island of Cebu? Very interesting indeed.

[email protected]

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

The book is a good read, and covers the basic ideas of K.I., as practiced by the Bakbakan, in a well thought out manner. We are all lucky to have the opportunities to attend recent and upcoming Kalis Ilustrisimo seminars, or training through John J. or Ray Floro as they are out and about in the USA! Attend the events and gain some first hand knowledge of what K.I. is all about.

Train Hard it is the Way!

Gumagalang
Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Joe Eccleston said:
I came across this book today, while perusing through at Borders. It was the only book in the Martial Arts shelf about Filipino Martial Arts, so I took it off the shelf, ordered some coffee, took a seat and started reading.

I especially liked the Villabrille expose, regarding his training with Ilustrisimo, the absence of the word 'Kali' until this word pops up out of nowhere in Hawaii, and the debunking of the whole 'Blind Princess of Gandara' story.

I also especially enjoyed the Balintawak connection. Tatang Ilustrisimo was from Cebu, and actually met Timor Maranga as a young boy while serving in prison. It turns out Timor Maranga, who grew up to be one of Balintawak's patriarchs, learned a few techniques from Tatang Ilustrisimo.

Tony Diego and Yuli Romo, both from Cebu also, trained in Balintawak before meeting Tatang Ilustrisimo. Is it just me or do all great eskrimadors from the Philippines hail from the island of Cebu? Very interesting indeed.
Timor Maranga went on to be founder and Grandmaster of Tres
Personas Eskrima de Combate Super Kuwentada System. Therefore I would not be surprised that he took some techniques from everyone he encountered either as a training partner or with someone he was "Playing" with. He was a talented person.

As to the Greats all coming from Cebu. I would have to qualify this. Cebu City is the second largest city in the PI. Therefore, the old timers that taught their family styles or local village style elsewhere may not be as well known. i.e. Gat Puno Abon Beat. I have never trained with him, yet he has knowledge to share and is considered a relatively knowledgeable person in FMA. If my memory is correct he is not from Cebu. He is also the head of his system. It is nice to have pride in what you train in. Just remember that there are greats all over, and they can be found almost any where.

Now, I would agree that there is a lot of knowledge about Eskrima from Cebu, and that is also in print out there.
:asian:

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Joe Eccleston said:
Is it just me or do all great eskrimadors from the Philippines hail from the island of Cebu? Very interesting indeed.

I agree with Rich that it has somewhat to do with the size of Cebu City and it being a large economic center attracting all kinds of people for work and business. But it also has something to do with established organizations. The Labangon fencing club was singular in it's existence as an organization. The Doce Pares club that followed was also a very successful "organization". The existence of organized bodies helps immensely in propagation of any system, be it a martial art, charitable organization, political lobby, etc. Almost every other system to come out of Cebu City has a hierarchy or organizational structure. This helps in pooling funds, brainpower, and in some cases supercedes personal egos that may otherwise conflict greatly and act to restrict growth. Doce Pares International Inc. of GM Dionisio Canete is registered as a national corporation and it is also one of the most proliferate FMA styles around. I think that in Cebu City they just happened to organize early on and that helped foster the growth and spread of those systems.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gat Puno Abon Beat. I have never trained with him, yet he has knowledge to share and is considered a relatively knowledgeable person in FMA.

Beat, as well as Raffy Pambuan is from somewhee in Laguna, (Southern Luzon). My family is from Santa Rosa also in Laguna. I'm also fortunate that both of them are here in Florida! My uncles a long time ago taught me a style that they learned from somebody in this area. I have come to the assumption that many systems out of Laguna are largo mano - (just a guess based on my experiences). My explanation by my uncles was that the style they showed me is from a sandy beachy area so you must have positioning and secure footwork rather than quick footwork.

Andy

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bart said:
I agree with Rich that it has somewhat to do with the size of Cebu City and it being a large economic center attracting all kinds of people for work and business. But it also has something to do with established organizations. The Labangon fencing club was singular in it's existence as an organization. The Doce Pares club that followed was also a very successful "organization". The existence of organized bodies helps immensely in propagation of any system, be it a martial art, charitable organization, political lobby, etc. Almost every other system to come out of Cebu City has a hierarchy or organizational structure. This helps in pooling funds, brainpower, and in some cases supercedes personal egos that may otherwise conflict greatly and act to restrict growth. Doce Pares International Inc. of GM Dionisio Canete is registered as a national corporation and it is also one of the most proliferate FMA styles around. I think that in Cebu City they just happened to organize early on and that helped foster the growth and spread of those systems.
Yes, What Bart Said. Having industry to allow for expendable income and time to train allows for the existence of such a club. And yes this club / organization was almost unique, it was stil not unique, as Abon has pointed out to others elsewhere. So, I apologize for not being clear in the first place, and say thank you to Bart for his point and clarification.
:asian:

OP
J

Joe Eccleston

Are there other systems outside of CEBU that specialize in inside fighting or corto? or are CEBUANO eskrimadors the only ones who specialize in this range? if there are other in-fighters, where are they from in the Philippines?

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Joe Eccleston said:
Are there other systems outside of CEBU that specialize in inside fighting or corto? or are CEBUANO eskrimadors the only ones who specialize in this range? if there are other in-fighters, where are they from in the Philippines?

Angel Cabales of Cabales Seradda Escrima is corto , I do not know from where he was from originally. I can do some more research later.

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that Angel Cabales was from the Visayas: Antique, Panay. I believe his friend/teacher Dizon was from Cebu or lived there at one point.

Latest Discussions