Secret mystical healing powers, are they real?

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So basically it's a fine example of the placebo effect.
You misunderstand. My apologies. I'll try to better explain, starting with repeating my main point. "Qi is a convenient way to describe a number of physiological concepts in a fashion that allows us to effectively employ them." Here is a rough example of the kind of thing I'm referring to:

Warm moist air meets cool dry air. There is low pressure meeting high pressure. Convection currents are created causing strong updrafts which cause high speed rotation. These are all actual things happening. A complex system we simply refer to as a tornado. If we substitute certain physiological (and other) functions for the physical weather related functions in this example, we have a system we can simply refer to as "qi."

These functions include breathing, circulation, electrochemical processes, some body dynamics and mental attitude. When all these are combined in a harmonious controlled way we have something that may be referred to as "qi," having the practical effect of increased energy generation and flow. (And perhaps a sum greater than its parts? - synergy?)

So we have cause and effect, not a placebo. It's a way of describing the complex in a simplified term (like "tornado.") This is my personal way of looking at it. It allows me to better harness these diverse systems by allowing me to combine (and explain) them in a single holistic package.

I hope this makes things a bit more clear and down to earth.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You misunderstand. My apologies. I'll try to better explain, starting with repeating my main point. "Qi is a convenient way to describe a number of physiological concepts in a fashion that allows us to effectively employ them." Here is a rough example of the kind of thing I'm referring to:

Warm moist air meets cool dry air. There is low pressure meeting high pressure. Convection currents are created causing strong updrafts which cause high speed rotation. These are all actual things happening. A complex system we simply refer to as a tornado. If we substitute certain physiological (and other) functions for the physical weather related functions in this example, we have a system we can simply refer to as "qi."

These functions include breathing, circulation, electrochemical processes, some body dynamics and mental attitude. When all these are combined in a harmonious controlled way we have something that may be referred to as "qi," having the practical effect of increased energy generation and flow. (And perhaps a sum greater than its parts? - synergy?)

So we have cause and effect, not a placebo. It's a way of describing the complex in a simplified term (like "tornado.") This is my personal way of looking at it. It allows me to better harness these diverse systems by allowing me to combine (and explain) them in a single holistic package.

I hope this makes things a bit more clear and down to earth.
Not really. Not at all, even. Until you can present identifiable, objective, repeatable evidence, using something that actually resembles the scientific method, it's just a placebo. Right up there with faith healing and voodoo.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't really think anyone is disagreeing with this. Because if there is independently verifiable, objective evidence, it's not really an anecdote.
This entire forum is stories and anecdotes. Some are objectively supportable and others are not.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Not really. Not at all, even. Until you can present identifiable, objective, repeatable evidence, using something that actually resembles the scientific method, it's just a placebo. Right up there with faith healing and voodoo.
Faith healing, voodoo, and a lot of self defense training. Exactly.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the word ‘secret’ is put before anythin, you should be weary of it’s claims…🤔…except the secret service…they’re real. My postman was in the secret service. He can kill with the corner of a brown paper envelop, he tells me.