Scientific Mysteries

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm, definitely a thing to ponder there, my wise friend. I do confess that I had always thought that the ridges of fingerprints were there to augment and aid our sense of touch.

OP
seasoned

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm, definitely a thing to ponder there, my wise friend. I do confess that I had always thought that the ridges of fingerprints were there to augment and aid our sense of touch.
This would have been my answer also, makes perfect sense.

Thinking about it is making my head hurt! ;)
Too much to ponder for sure........ :)

Here's another one, those keep off the grass signs you see in the middle of people's lawns - How do they get there? :)
And the top response to the thread is............ :) :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember when I took physical anthropology that we were told the ridges were for better grip, especially on tree branches. That would make so sense but I always thought it seemed like it wouldn't be that effective. But what did I know.

Googleing "Why we have fingerprints" brought up this, http://phys.org/news158088270.html which says 'new research' indicate it is for better texture recognition. I don't know that makes any more sense to me.

OP
seasoned

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But then, there are those rubber gloves that are suppose to help you pick up things easier. Changing what was in place for something "better".... Who knows. :) :)

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember when I took physical anthropology that we were told the ridges were for better grip, especially on tree branches. That would make so sense but I always thought it seemed like it wouldn't be that effective. But what did I know.

Googleing "Why we have fingerprints" brought up this, http://phys.org/news158088270.html which says 'new research' indicate it is for better texture recognition. I don't know that makes any more sense to me.

The texture theory seems reasonable, and there is some experimental data to support it. As to the tree branches; our species seems to have evolved away from tree living early on, so I don't see any particular advantage to needing whorls to grip branches.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

But then, there are those rubber gloves that are suppose to help you pick up things easier. Changing what was in place for something "better".... Who knows. :) :)
When doing surgery, I favored a particular brand of surgical gloves because they were thinner than the standard latex gloves. They seemed to allow better grip of the microsurgical instruments and I as able to feel the instruments more. Somehow they were pliable enough that they seemed to mould to my fingertips and it was like the glove surface gripped on both sides. Was that because of fingerprints? Interesting question.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://animals.pawnation.com/animal-other-primate-fingerprints-1983.html

It seems that the non- primate koala also has finger prints on the pads of its finger tips only. It has coarse ridges on th rest of the palm. Koalas climb and use fine motor skills. Could it be that the coarse ridges are for gripping and the fine ridges for tactile feedback?
Not wanting to put down our cuddly icon but the koala is one of the laziest animals on the planet. Its fine motor skills are basically used to stuff leaves in its mouth before it goes back to sleep for another 20 hours or so.
:)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The texture theory seems reasonable, and there is some experimental data to support it. As to the tree branches; our species seems to have evolved away from tree living early on, so I don't see any particular advantage to needing whorls to grip branches.
Even accepting this to be the case, why genetically are fingerprints different? If it were purely a tactile thing you might expect the most effective print to become the dominant print. Fingerprints are different, just as the Zebras' stripes are different.
:asian:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No reason for them to be the same, K-man. All our characteristics are a consequence of gene sequences being played out in the macro scale and we are all different.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No reason for them to be the same, K-man. All our characteristics are a consequence of gene sequences being played out in the macro scale and we are all different.
True. My mind is addled from the pedantic discussion in another place.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Not wanting to put down our cuddly icon but the koala is one of the laziest animals on the planet. Its fine motor skills are basically used to stuff leaves in its mouth before it goes back to sleep for another 20 hours or so.
Apparently, it's the deft handling of said leaves that lead them to their conclusions.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Even accepting this to be the case, why genetically are fingerprints different? If it were purely a tactile thing you might expect the most effective print to become the dominant print. Fingerprints are different, just as the Zebras' stripes are different.
:asian:
And I don't think they know why zebra stripes are different either. It may be that no specific pattern provides significant survival advantage over random chance.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

True. My mind is addled from the pedantic discussion in another place.
Is K-man calling me pedantic? He is notably perceptive...

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Or they could have originally been for grip, and the ability to determine texture was a later adaptation? ;-)

True. Nothing is exactly the same, including opposite sides of the human body.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

And I don't think they know why zebra stripes are different either. It may be that no specific pattern provides significant survival advantage over random chance.

I wonder if it might prevent predators from identifying one type of pattern, and being able to adapt a way to overcome it?

Latest Discussions