If any of yall are looking for me a last minute Christmas present:

TrackingPoint .338 ShadowTrax8
xlhh35athqdndbqk9ry3

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Quicker, easier ways to kill each other from a distance. We are an interesting species.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, the criteria for "futuristic" seems, in the most part, to be based on looks, right? Not really impressed with their list.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, the criteria for "futuristic" seems, in the most part, to be based on looks, right? Not really impressed with their list.
The criteria for futuristic is based on function.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The criteria for futuristic is based on function.
What is futuristic about the function of any of them? The best case for that argument would be made for the PHASR and the Armitix, and it's a stretch for either of them, I think.

D

Deleted member 39746

Semantics point, its not Sci-fi if it exists. :p

Edit: skimming through the article, most of these aren't really THAT new and fi you keep up with military technology updates etc, not that obscure. I namely have issue with listing all but the IP1 and tracking point being called Sci-fi guns, maybe the blinding laser but i heard about a U.K development version of that a couple of years ago.

I know im a spoil sport. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
and presumably if they already exist they can't be fiction, science or otherwise.
Well before they were invented they would be fiction, so you could say they were science fiction before they came to be but as of now you would be right they are not fiction. So right now you could say they're, "science fiction like."

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is futuristic about the function of any of them? The best case for that argument would be made for the PHASR and the Armitix, and it's a stretch for either of them, I think.
None of them are futuristic or have futuristic functions in the sense that they now exist so before they existed you could call them futuristic but now since they do exist they are no longer futuristic. Anyway, as to their function the FN Five Seven's function is quite a new concept when you take into account the size and speed of the round it fires, supposedly it can defeat many types of body armor and as such you can only get sporting ammunition for it. The Chiappa Rhino with its new design recoils straight back instead of up and that helps with accuracy. I haven't had the opportunity to fire either, not yet, but I've studied reviews on them.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or, to prevent innocent people from being killed.
Sorry, but the Armatix, and most <ahem> "smart guns," really aren't as great an idea as the seem. They are easily defeated, depend on inconsistent battery power (ever had the battery on your flashlight suddenly just not work?), often (as is the case here) require some sort of dongle be within proximity (which can be lost, stolen, taken by someone else, or allow unauthorized use of the gun anyway if the dongle is close enough). "Smart guns" don't actually do what the people promoting them hope they will but have tons of issues and "unintended" negative consequences.

I understand why the idea is appealing, but the technology to actually do, with the needed reliability, what is wanted is decades (or more) away and may never truly be achievable.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
None of them are futuristic or have futuristic functions in the sense that they now exist so before they existed you could call them futuristic but now since they do exist they are no longer futuristic. Anyway, as to their function the FN Five Seven's function is quite a new concept when you take into account the size and speed of the round it fires, supposedly it can defeat many types of body armor and as such you can only get sporting ammunition for it. The Chiappa Rhino with its new design recoils straight back instead of up and that helps with accuracy. I haven't had the opportunity to fire either, not yet, but I've studied reviews on them.

Lots of rounds available for lots of guns can penetrate various body armor -- and if you're going to use a round in the rifle and handgun, there's a damn good chance it'll penetrate a lot of armor. Especially if the ability to do so was a design requirement... The "only can get sporting ammo" seems more hype than a real concern; amazingly enough, rounds headed my way don't care a whit if they're labeled "sporting" or "personal defense" -- and I care even less. The most "novel" thing I see about the FiveseveN is that the same round works in either the rifle or handgun.

It's a click-bait list. No justification for what made a particular gun "science fiction" or "futuristic"... just the writer picked 'em...

Latest Discussions