School Hours

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been ask to run longer Saturday and add a couple of Sunday classses to my current schedule here at the school, what are some of your thoughts on this good or bad?

Also my days are for mainly private or semi privates but some would like me to add three days a week two classes on those days, what is your take on that as well?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been ask to run longer Saturday and add a couple of Sunday classses to my current schedule here at the school, what are some of your thoughts on this good or bad?

Also my days are for mainly private or semi privates but some would like me to add three days a week two classes on those days, what is your take on that as well?

How does your schedule look as of right now for doing this? How long do your Sat. classes run currently?

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Might be good for business, Terry... but what about your life? There's only so much of you to go around... when do you get to relax and reinvigorate?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How does your schedule look as of right now for doing this? How long do your Sat. classes run currently?

Right now we are here from 9 am to 1 pm on Saturday they would like me to add one at 3 and another at 5 pm.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Might be good for business, Terry... but what about your life? There's only so much of you to go around... when do you get to relax and reinvigorate?

I finally got two new instructors so they could help out I guess once they gat comfitable.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I finally got two new instructors so they could help out I guess once they gat comfitable.

I agree with the others ... too much won't be a good thing for you or your students, however, with the additiion of the new instructors, and like you say, once they get comfortable, then maybe. The school I came from ran 7 days a week, but we had 7 instructors to rotate through (now six of them, including me, are here).

We plan to run seven days a week when there is a need. Then again, our philosophy here is that all instructors have a piece of the business. So, I don't have to worry too much about not being there, so-to-speak, there is a need for all of them to run the classes and business properly.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with the others ... too much won't be a good thing for you or your students, however, with the additiion of the new instructors, and like you say, once they get comfortable, then maybe. The school I came from ran 7 days a week, but we had 7 instructors to rotate through (now six of them, including me, are here).

We plan to run seven days a week when there is a need. Then again, our philosophy here is that all instructors have a piece of the business. So, I don't have to worry too much about not being there, so-to-speak, there is a need for all of them to run the classes and business properly.

Sounds like a great plan.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Right now we are here from 9 am to 1 pm on Saturday they would like me to add one at 3 and another at 5 pm.

Wow, that makes for a long Saturday. One thing to take into consideration is how many people would you have? If you'd only get a handful of students, is it worth it? What about an earlier class on Saturday? Say around 8am?

Personally, I think 1pm is late enough, considering the weekends are days when people like to do family things, etc.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My school has never had Sunday practice -- you always relax on Sunday, you never practice. The idea of practicing on Sunday is very strange to me.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is the investment worth the return? That's what you have to ask. Are these people asking for this class because they want more instruction, or because that is, for some reason, more convenient for them? How much of your time are you willing to give up for their convenience? You say you have other instructors - they have to start sometime. Let them take these new classes and see how they go, how many people show up, how consistent they are, etc. If they're really motivated, they'll come - if not, well.... you have to have a life too.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is the investment worth the return? That's what you have to ask. Are these people asking for this class because they want more instruction, or because that is, for some reason, more convenient for them? How much of your time are you willing to give up for their convenience? You say you have other instructors - they have to start sometime. Let them take these new classes and see how they go, how many people show up, how consistent they are, etc. If they're really motivated, they'll come - if not, well.... you have to have a life too.

I'm in agreement with Kacey. Is the return worth the investment? (Is what I think she meant:asian:. When I was 17, I wished my school was open 24/7. The master & the assistant had other ideas (they wanted a life!)

Begin the new hours after your new folks get their feet wet & let THEM have it. You need a life also.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm in agreement with Kacey. Is the return worth the investment? (Is what I think she meant:asian:. When I was 17, I wished my school was open 24/7. The master & the assistant had other ideas (they wanted a life!)

Begin the new hours after your new folks get their feet wet & let THEM have it. You need a life also.

Thanks, Iceman... I was tired, and you're right, it came out backwards.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well adding classe during the day will add about twelve weman wuth little kids, Yolanda wants to do a mommy and kuds class only, kinda like in swimming. I will have another 10 adults m-w-f from 12-1:30 so that would be nice. The sunday thing is out for the time being, U need that time for the family and my new instructor is not ready to do a class without me being there. So maybe later.

Latest Discussions