Sanda/Chen and the beginner (me)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
On a serious note, I know that I am joking around a lot here about beating on trees, but in all honesty Sanda pretty damn cool.

It is probably the most modern of the Chinese martial arts and it claims no Qigong training, and so far I really do not see any, but yet every strike is lead by the dantian. It is also the most traditional CMA training I have ever done and it is still the most modern of all CMA styles. It is so far a strange and amazing combination of internal, external styles as well as old and new approaches to training.

The palm strikes that I train by hitting trees are a good example of this. They definitely remind me of Long fist and yet it feels very Xingyi. The basic training is definitely that of an external CMA but some of the subtleties are very close to internal. And yet there are no forms per say which lead to little or no extra movement you can get from a form. It tends to be very direct; a combination I am training is a simple punch over the shoulder which becomes an elbow to the stomach. Nothing new or amazing here just simple and direct.

Basically (this works with both hands) right punch up over right shoulder to back; This is not expected to make much contact but it will cause the person behind you to; let go, back up or if your lucky and they respond like most humans would bend backwards to avoid the hit. But then they move their stomach closer and this is where the immediate right elbow comes into play. The punch has already set your arm up for this and rotates the arm forward, the shoulder and waist are used here, and you have an elbow to stomach.

I of course am very early in this process of training Sanda, I have yet to train kicks, which comes next (also using a tree) then there is hitting with just about every part of your body (Which I suspect also includes trees) Joint locking, throws, sweeps. Etc. But all in all it is very cool and it has just in these early stages reminded me of many of the things I have done over the years. It seems to have elements of all the MAs I have trained for the last 30 years.

And Next week a return to Chen style. All this is a very strange, and yet great, feeling where I am a beginner after 30 years of training. Returning to a Tai Chi style I use to do after 12 years of training another, and I am not trying to kid myself here, Chen is different enough from Yang so I can easily say I am a beginner again here too.

I have been doing Chen style stance training and silk reeling practice but that is not the form. I have been in contact with a couple of people in my general area of the country that are disciples of Chen family members that I may go to in order to continue my training after the 18 form is finished. The people near me are not disciples of Chen Zhenglei; just students he has given permission to teach his 18. Also Chen Zhenglei does come here once or twice a year so time will tell, but its all good. After the 18 I will start working on the Chen forms I use to do and the fist will be, well the first, Chen Style Old first form.

After the last 3 years of polite discussion/argument with my long time Yang style Sifu this is a welcome change and it is great to be back training again. It may however become very much responsible for me posting less and training more. But I’ll still be around and still be posting, I am way to opinionated when it comes to CMA to keep my mouth shut for long.

And since I am trying desperately to be serious here and not to get into to much humor and I feel I am heading that route I will end here.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Xue,

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new training! Sounds pretty hardcore.

And if a little humor gets into the thread, who cares? It just shows you are enjoying the training. And it's also very therapeutic when dealing with all the aches and pains. Like when you start practicing the joint locking on the trees.

Jeff

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Xue,

And if a little humor gets into the thread, who cares? It just shows you are enjoying the training. And it's also very therapeutic when dealing with all the aches and pains. Like when you start practicing the joint locking on the trees.

Jeff

What he said Xue. It sounds awesome. Train hard and enjoy the rest periods with a little humor. Do you have any vids you could share in Members in Motion? I would love to see some of this training. :)

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Xue, come to Oklahoma and train here. We are in what is called Tornado Alley...if you train Vs trees with those strong winds you will have more satisfaction...trees will hit back :)

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hey Xue,

Jeff

You can’t joint lock a tree, now your just being silly. But man you should see how surprised they are when you sweep one and take it down.

What he said Xue. It sounds awesome. Train hard and enjoy the rest periods with a little humor. Do you have any vids you could share in Members in Motion? I would love to see some of this training.

Sanda film not likely; I HATE having my picture taken and I am 100% certain the Sifu would not allow it. For a new CMA it is amazingly traditional. Possibly Chen later on but Sanda highly unlikely

Hey Xue, come to Oklahoma and train here. We are in what is called Tornado Alley...if you train Vs trees with those strong winds you will have more satisfaction...trees will hit back

I already had a run in with a tree about 4 years ago in Pennsylvania with out the tornado, the silly thing jumped me. Why do you think I am beating so many of them now.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sanda film not likely; I HATE having my picture taken and I am 100% certain the Sifu would not allow it. For a new CMA it is amazingly traditional. Possibly Chen later on but Sanda highly unlikely

Ok, ok. A Chen one at some point will be acceptable then, though I really wanted to see you put one of those nasty trees in their place. :p :)

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ok, ok. A Chen one at some point will be acceptable then, though I really wanted to see you put one of those nasty trees in their place. :p :)

Who knows with all the people running around with video cameras I could always end up on real-tv or the 11 o-clock news.

"Crazed Tree Pounder Caught on Film... News at 11"

And once I learn Chen Cannon fist or the Compact Cannon fist, depending on who I end up training with, I will film it.

Latest Discussions