"Samurai Fighting Arts" by Fumon Tanaka

Nobufusa

Green Belt
Reaction score
I recently bought this book, and on the inside of the back cover it states that

Fumon Tanaka Sensei holds multiple titles, including Soke of several recognized Koryu

The list of his "titles and licenses" includes
Koden Enshin Ryu kumiuchi kenden 11th soke
Kukishin Ryu bujutsu 19th soke
Honmon ENshin Ryu iai suemonogiri kenpo 4th soke

this list also includes
KOGA RYU NINJUTSU
and
IGA RYU NINPO

Now, I thought Ninjutsu is not formally recognized? Who gave Fumon Tanaka an unbroken lineage in Koga Ryu ninjutsu and Iga Ryu Ninpo?

I was told that no claimed Ninjutsu lineage has any formal recognition, and none have been verified. So why is a recognized Koryu teacher claiming Iga Ryu and Koga Ryu Ninjutsu?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah.... Tanaka is a somewhat controversial figure... a lot of embellishment in his claims, bought rank/titles, and more... honestly, this is a whole thing, and the idea of "a recognised Koryu teacher" itself is not necessarily what you're making it out to be....

To put it simply, should you decide to sell the book down the track, it would be highly doubtful any koryu practictioners would be interested in it, for a range of reasons relating to both the content and the author...

OP
N

Nobufusa

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah.... Tanaka is a somewhat controversial figure... a lot of embellishment in his claims, bought rank/titles, and more... honestly, this is a whole thing, and the idea of "a recognised Koryu teacher" itself is not necessarily what you're making it out to be....

To put it simply, should you decide to sell the book down the track, it would be highly doubtful any koryu practictioners would be interested in it, for a range of reasons relating to both the content and the author...

I wish I knew that before I bought it, thanks lol.

BrendanF

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I was about to say 'not so fast Chris, I got a copy.. I keep it next to my Kaufman Gorin no sho'. Then I realised the Tanaka book I have is the 'Musashi' one. Hilarious.

He also lists 'Knight of the Eagle Cross' or some such and 'Count of Solferino, Italy' under the dust jacket list of 'Budo Ranks/Titles'. What a G.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was about to say 'not so fast Chris, I got a copy.. I keep it next to my Kaufman Gorin no sho'. Then I realised the Tanaka book I have is the 'Musashi' one. Hilarious.

And... have you performed any of the Shinto Ryu exorcism rituals over these tomes.....? If not.... would you? Please? Ha!

He also lists 'Knight of the Eagle Cross' or some such and 'Count of Solferino, Italy' under the dust jacket list of 'Budo Ranks/Titles'. What a G.

Oh, yeah, he's the absolute pinnacle of, you know, bizarre titles... not the king of meaningless accolades, though.... I'll tell you about him next time I'm in Perth.... he's actually a former junior of mine that is now a "Dai-Shihan".... and that's only the start of it....

Latest Discussions