RVD home study...

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
. . . not to mention the frequent confusion between the Ten Chi Jin Ryaku no Maki, and the Togakure Ryu Ninpo Taijutsu book - which is divided into Ten, Chi, and Jin sections.

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
The bujinkan guide to everything you are supposed to know by blackbelt.
The TCJRnM is what you are supposed to know by Godan - not blackbelt.

-Daniel

PS - and for Kizaru - the Japanese version is the preferred version. Anything close, however, is a good step in the right direction - despite your objections to the translation issues....

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
DWeidman: "The TCJRnM is what you are supposed to know by Godan - not blackbelt."

Well that seems more manageable then, and also explains why one shidoshi told me that all that was required for shodan was proficiency in ukemi, sanshin, and kihon happo - which is only part of the Ten Ryaku section.

I'm curious, since I've only seen samples and outlines of the TCJ, does it include any weapons training? What are the usual guidelines for weapons proficiency by shodan? by godan?

If only the Ten Ryaku is required for shodan, when should the majority of the Chi Ryaku be covered? When should one be learning mostly from the Jin Ryaku?

The RVD HSC seems to be drawn mostly from the Ten and Chi sections + at least one weapon focused on per kyu rank.

davidg553

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Shizen Shigoku said:
Well that seems more manageable then, and also explains why one shidoshi told me that all that was required for shodan was proficiency in ukemi, sanshin, and kihon happo - which is only part of the Ten Ryaku section.
If only the Ten Ryaku is required for shodan, when should the majority of the Chi Ryaku be covered? When should one be learning mostly from the Jin Ryaku?
The majority of the syllabus that I have seen, tend to include both Ten and Chi in their kyuu syllabus. The idea being that from shodan - yondan, one is studying the kata in order to learn the principles and strategies contained therein. In order to be focused on this objective, one should have already learned the parts that make up the kata hence the training of both Ten and Chi during the kyuu levels.

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Scooter said:
That is what we use as the standard for shodan
Um.... Ok.

Who is the "we" found in your quote?

It is my understanding that Hatsumi put the TCJRnM as a guide of things you are supposed to know by the time you test for your Godan. If you want to put it all in 9th kyu - knock yourself out...

-Daniel

PS. You will note the TCJRnM isn't broken down by Kyu or Dan - it is a guide - not a curriculum...

Latest Discussions