Run. A. Better. Candidate. Next. Time.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
The discussion isn't going how I want it too, quick change the topic completely!

I'm not a canidate, but I am pro-choice. Start another thread with your questions, even the loaded ones and I'll answer them honestly as I think most pro-choice persons would.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I actually don't think you need the business smarts of Bill Gates to understand that this Presidential election, like many Presidential elections in the past, have been decided by independent voters in the swing states. Gov. Romney made very little effort to attract these voters, and no attempt to distance himself from the rape-obsessed ultra-right.

I campaigned for Mitt Romney in his gubernatorial bid in 2002. I even had a chance to attend his inaugural ball. I'm very disappointed at his lack of attention to the swing voters in the swing states.

But, I'm sure he did everything the RNC wanted him to do. And he did about as good as the last candidate who did everything the RNC wanted him to do.

There are an estimated 207,643,594 eligible voters in the US.
121,127,668 votes were cast according to wikipedia.
That left 86,515,926 possible votes uncast, and in my opinion, wasted.

If those people had rallied behind ANY of the indi's or 3rd parties, that candidate would have won.

Rosanne Barr, could have won.

Romney lost by about 3M votes (gap between him and Obama) in the popular vote.

3rd parties totaled 2M votes, which even if cast for Romney still would have left him short.

(Popular vote here. The EC is a different beast).

But 86M is a huge pool that he could have fished in and didn't.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob, you are right in that 82 million people not voting is a huge amount, but would there be ANY canidate that could inspire most of those people to vote? There are many people who just do not feel voting is important enough to partake in.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob, you are right in that 82 million people not voting is a huge amount, but would there be ANY canidate that could inspire most of those people to vote? There are many people who just do not feel voting is important enough to partake in.

Could a candidate inspire most of those people to vote?

Long shot, but possibly. If they knew about them. But if we don't know.....
On the other hand, for the last 100+ years we've tended to have 2-3, usually 2 but sometimes 3 solid parties gaining most of the votes. Below, unless otherwise listed, assume the DNC and GOP are in 1st and 2nd place.

2012 results
Candidate (Party)Electoral
votes
States
carried
Popular
vote
Pct.
Obama (Democratic)30325+DC61,119,24950.46%
Romney (Republican)2062458,127,43947.99%
Johnson (Libertarian)001,139,5620.94%
Stein (Green)00396,6840.33%
Goode (Constitution)00108,1950.09%
Barr (Peace and Freedom)0049,9590.04%
Anderson (Justice)0034,5210.03%
Others00152,0590.13%
Total 53851121,127,668100.00%

To beat Johnson's result, we go back to 2000

Perot in 1996
Ross PerotReform[SUP](c)[/SUP]Texas8,085,2948.40%

Ross PerotIndependentTexas19,743,82118.91%

John Bayard AndersonIndependentIllinois5,719,8506.61%
Ed ClarkLibertarianCalifornia921,1281.06%

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In all seriousness, imagine the turnout for a Brad Pitt/Angelina Jolie ticket.

Were there turnout bumps for Arnold or Jesse the Body?

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To the delusions of those who think that the republicans lost because they are too conservative on social issues...look at the fake issue of immigration reform and how it is government give aways that actually motivate hispanic voters more than immigration reform...sooo, libertarians would get just as clobbered as republicans because of their position on fiscal issues...

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2012/11/before-the-sellout.php

It is not immigration policy that creates the strong bond between Hispanics and the Democratic party, but the core Democratic principles of a more generous safety net, strong government intervention in the economy, and progressive taxation. Hispanics will prove to be even more decisive in the victory of Governor Jerry Brown’s Proposition 30, which raised upper-income taxes and the sales tax, than in the Obama election.

And California is the wave of the future. A March 2011 poll by Moore Information found that Republican economic policies were a stronger turn-off for Hispanic voters in California than Republican positions on illegal immigration. Twenty-nine percent of Hispanic voters were suspicious of the Republican party on class-warfare grounds — “it favors only the rich”; “Republicans are selfish and out for themselves”; “Republicans don’t represent the average person”– compared with 7 percent who objected to Republican immigration stances.

Mac Donald also considers related data:
U.S.-born Hispanic households in California use welfare programs at twice the rate of native-born non-Hispanic households. And that is because nearly one-quarter of all Hispanics are poor in California, compared to a little over one-tenth of non-Hispanics. Nearly seven in ten poor children in the state are Hispanic, and one in three Hispanic children is poor, compared to less than one in six non-Hispanic children. One can see that disparity in classrooms across the state, which are chock full of social workers and teachers’ aides trying to boost Hispanic educational performance.

The idea of the “social issues” Hispanic voter is also a mirage. A majority of Hispanics now support gay marriage, a Pew Research Center poll from last month found. The Hispanic out-of-wedlock birth rate is 53 percent, about twice that of whites.

So legal drugs, gay marriage, and the other "social" issues are irrelevant to the election process as far as libertarians are concerned. That whole, "Constituional government," thing doesn't interest people. What people can get from government is the only important thing in these elections, and libertarians, just like republicans are going to lose based on that.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In all seriousness, imagine the turnout for a Brad Pitt/Angelina Jolie ticket.

Were there turnout bumps for Arnold or Jesse the Body?

Dunno. Haven't looked at state histories that much.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The RNC and especially the GOP Boner refuse to admit that the majority of the country are fed up with thier extreme conservatisim and alegence to special interest. They are digging right back in over taxes and deficit and we need to continue to push back against the propaganda that the country is full of lazy and free loading people wanting things????????? I hear Ashley Judd will run against Mitch we need to get rid of all the entrenched incumbants and replace with moderates not nut bag extremists keep them focused on the economy not between women's legs

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, Bill C, guess you are right. It was the democrats who kept saying stupid crap about women's health a rape...oh wait, no it wasn't.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Want to see actual racism? Look at how minority republicans, Mia Love, Condi Rice, Alan West, Jindal, are treated by "enlightened" liberals.

I see you dropped Colin Powell from this short list you recently trotted out on another thread. Again, I ask you to provide specific examples backed up by nonpartisan sources. I don't expect it, but ... alas, I ask regardless.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
...er...a huge part of the Presidents campaign was all about that place between a woman's legs...and they went for it...

Bill really who tried time and again to introduce legislation with just that intent and Romney on tape saying he would revers RowVWade. The RNC platform and the wave of Red States trying to do that possed a Real and Present Danger to Women's Health Care.

Not to mention the Ludicrous statements about Rape and such also pulished printed material claiming that 90% of women were using abortion as contraception and they were all low income mostly black hookers.

I hope women are not done yet although there are some who are programed by thier male counterparts most I believe are level headed when it concerns them and social issues

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Bob Thank you this is so awesome I am going to make a poster from it maybe even have custom printed toilet paper I will send you a roll. It is such common sense to eliminate people like this that any media, political RNC or person who wants to support and vote for these type can only be based on ignorance or bigotry or racism there is no positive choice? I like Bill C but I cannot understand his or any of his groups motivations?

Latest Discussions