Rumsfeld Is Out

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
he's resigned. I assume Bush accepted it this time. expect we'll hear a Bush statement or speech in the next few hours.

now who do we get and what direction do we go in?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rumsfeld has been largely insignificant in the policy direction. Certianly, he implemented a failed tactical execution of that policy.

I am glad to see him go, but it has never been his policy.

I believe SecDef Rumsfeld was a lightning rod to protect Vice President Cheney and President Bush. If I have been correct in my assessment, the next few months will be interesting.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I've never understood why he gets so much flak myself. He is working for the president (small P).
Sean
I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't like him due to the way he would talk down to people at press conferences and speeches. Everyone knows he's only a lackey, but his abrasive tone and attempt at an intimidating demeanor just put people off. :idunno: Just my opinion.

OP
J

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've never understood why he gets so much flak myself. He is working for the president (small P).
Sean

he was more than a lackey. he was the architect of this war. he came in with a vision of how wars of the future were to be fought. he went to work to create a military that would reflect that vision. he then attempted to prove his case in iraq and afghanistan. his influence in foreign policy decisions at its peak made him more powerful than secretary of state powell when he was in office.

rumsfeld's voice along with the other neocons made this war inevitible. but he alone owns the way it was executed. he alone crushed the military voices of dissent on the number of troops needed to secure the peace. he alone didn't even consider to have a plan in place in case the troops weren't greeted with flowers and hugs.

the heat he took, was deserved.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I disagree with the statement that Secretary Rumsfeld, alone, is responsible for the execution of the invasion and post invasion. Our incurious president needs to share that responsibility. Certainly, Rumsfeld, planned the operation and presented it to the President. In documented instances, the Secretary overruled the generals in the Pentagon on very important aspects of the invasion.

But, President Bush did not raise questions. President Bush did not seek council of others. President Bush allowed the Secretary to have full operation control.

It seem the President, for the last three and a half years, has been reliving his College Cheerleading Days; stand on the sidelines and yell "Raw Raw!"

Let's see what changes come about from the Secretary's departure.

OP
J

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I disagree with the statement that Secretary Rumsfeld, alone, is responsible for the execution of the invasion and post invasion. Our incurious president needs to share that responsibility. Certainly, Rumsfeld, planned the operation and presented it to the President. In documented instances, the Secretary overruled the generals in the Pentagon on very important aspects of the invasion.

But, President Bush did not raise questions. President Bush did not seek council of others. President Bush allowed the Secretary to have full operation control.

It seem the President, for the last three and a half years, has been reliving his College Cheerleading Days; stand on the sidelines and yell "Raw Raw!"

Let's see what changes come about from the Secretary's departure.

that's not what i said. or at least not what i meant.

i am not absolving bush,cheney,rice,wolfowitz,manny,moe or jack from their part in making the decision to go to war. and i'm not trying to scapegoat Rumsfeld.

i was simply stating that he wasn't a puppet on strings. he was a very potent advocate of war with iraq and he ultimately was the man in charge of making it happen.

now we have an ex-CIA guy coming in-- Gates is a former deputy director to the CIA and would have had the top job but for a little thing called Irancontra.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
that's not what i said. or at least not what i meant.

i am not absolving bush,cheney,rice,wolfowitz,manny,moe or jack from their part in making the decision to go to war. and i'm not trying to scapegoat Rumsfeld.

i was simply stating that he wasn't a puppet on strings. he was a very potent advocate of war with iraq and he ultimately was the man in charge of making it happen.

now we have an ex-CIA guy coming in-- Gates is a former deputy director to the CIA and would have had the top job but for a little thing called Irancontra.
Donnald was always expendable. By firing him at theis time Bush gets to have a fresh start on his last two years. He gets to lay all our problems on the guy he just let go. Screw that! I'm with ya Don.
Sean