2006 Election results

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, so far it looks like the Dems have taken the house and are still in the running for the Senate.

Anything interesting or noteworthy happen in your districts? The only referendum we had in my county dealt with school bonds, but I hear alot of states had referendums on same sex marriage. Anything else out thre worth mentioning?

What are your opinions so far on the results?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Live Free or Die in Blue New Hampshire.

New Hampshire has always been the 'reddest' of the Northeast states - which means, not very red at all. The 'Live Free or Die' attitude, given us by General Stark, if I am not mistaken, has always led to a very libertarian government - no services, no taxes.

A demographic shift has been occuring, as Massachusetts Expatriots look for affordable housing and lousy commutes - or the 'New Hampshire Advantage' - Tax Free consumption.

Both Congressional Seats changed party affiliation yesterday. Paul Hodes has been running against Charles Bass for three years now. He easily defeated Representative Bass. Carol Shea-Porter has defeated Jeb Bradley. She basically came out of nowhere, recieved very little party support during the election and won by a comfortable margin.

Yesterday, on the news, I watch an anchor ask local expert, Mike Barnicle, why New England hates the President so much. Mr. Barnicle said it was because of the war. I prefer to think that we discern in the President, a native son and local, regardless of what he would have you thing, the truth; He is out of his element and unable to handle the tasks of the job.

This year, it was not a good thing to be a Republican running for election in the Northeast. In this area, it seems, we voted for Change.

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I looked at some ballot measures... looks like alot of bans on same sex marriage measures failed with Arizona still in doubt. Also looks like every minimum wage increase measure passed. Missouri passed Stem Cell research measure... couple of marijuana proposals failed...

Looks like the Dems need two more seats in the Senate with slight leads in the remaining two seats... recounts here we come! Just hope it does not take too long....

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Michigan has been a blue state in national elections for the last few cycles, voting for Clinton's second term, Gore, and Kerry.

Like most of the rest of the country it is pretty much status quo in Michigan as incumbents win. We returned the Democratic Governor and a Democratic Senator. I think all of the incumbents in the US House also won (6 Democratics and 9 Republicanistics). A Republican won an open house seat. I think it had a Republican in it previously.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Michigan has been a blue state in national elections for the last few cycles, voting for Clinton's second term, Gore, and Kerry.

Like most of the rest of the country it is pretty much status quo in Michigan as incumbents win. We returned the Democratic Governor and a Democratic Senator. I think all of the incumbents in the US House also won (6 Democratics and 9 Republicanistics). A Republican won an open house seat. I think it had a Republican in it previously.

It seems we have a nice balance in Michigan right now of Republicans and Democrats. Let's hope they work together to do some good work.

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Live Free or Die in Blue New Hampshire.

New Hampshire has always been the 'reddest' of the Northeast states - which means, not very red at all. The 'Live Free or Die' attitude, given us by General Stark, if I am not mistaken, has always led to a very libertarian government - no services, no taxes.

Well, that will all change now. I'm sure we'll see a sales and /or income tax very shortly, in addition to the already rising property taxes.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sen. Kennedy got re-elected for his 7th term in the senate.

The Gubernatorial election was interesting. The two loeading candidates would have lead to Massachusetts first black governor or first woman elected governor.

There was a ballot measure that entailed expanding liquor licenses in Massachusetts. Between both sides, received an 11 million dollar campaign. :eek: The spending surprised me...this is not a big statet. The measure was denied.

There was also a convoluted question that sounded like a brilliant idea but very badly executed. Proponents called it "open ballot votiing" and it allows a candidate to be elected by more than one party. Which would be interesting, but given that Mass. has long been a 1 party state...

IF I can ever convince myself to move off the North Shore, I will likely be one of those Massachusetts expats that Mike refers to before to before too long...just in my case I'm looking for a more affordable community and a shorter commute. :D

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, here in NY we managed to re-elect Hillary Clinton. I'm still trying to figure out all this stuff she's done for NY that I keep hearing about. AFAIK, all she's done is rename some buildings.
Oh, and we also elected an anti-gun Governor and House rep. :rolleyes:

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, here in NY we managed to re-elect Hillary Clinton. I'm still trying to figure out all this stuff she's done for NY that I keep hearing about. AFAIK, all she's done is rename some buildings.
Oh, and we also elected an anti-gun Governor and House rep. :rolleyes:

I still have not figured out why you elected her in the first place. She is no NY native and only moved there because she knew she could get in. Try running in Arkansas, where you spent most of your life...

oh well :) It was legal, but I'd have a hard time electing someone that has not at least lived in my state for a while.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Indiana, a normally very red state, kicked some Republican butt.

In addressing Republicans I can only quote Bill Clinton, "I feel your pain." I'm not particularly bothered by it, by I feel it.

Regards,

Steve

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My personal politics are obvious, but I will always be content with what the American people decide. Even if it conflicts with my personal opinions. I love my country and trust in our system. In the long run, I think a change in the status quo is a good thing. Many of the Democrat victors seem very moderate anyway so Im not crying any crocodile tears over the results. I just hope that they will learn to work together for US rather than infight between themselves.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am very happy with the results on a national level, but I am actually not completely happy with some of the democratic wins here in our state, because I feel that some of the republican canidates that lost were a better choice and better equipted to deal with the economic issues of our state.

For the record, I am an independent with a strong liberitarian bias.

But, as Blotan alluded, I think it is really important that we have faith in the process, participate in it, and work hard to make it better. I have read a lot of posts lately that point to both apathy and discouragement with the process. People too often think that their votes, their opinions, and their work won't and don't matter. I think that we need to caution ourselves against that apathy and discouragement. Our opinions and votes won't matter only as much as we feel that they don't matter, and only as much as we let it.

So, regardless of election results, I think we really need to keep our heads up and remain participants in the process.

Paul

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We nearly had a democratic sweep in Wisconsin, but that isn't something that should surprise anyone. What will surprise people are the ballot measures that passed.

WI is now home to an amendment banning same sex marriage and it is also home to the death penalty.

I'm very saddened that both of these passed...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am very happy with the results on a national level, but I am actually not completely happy with some of the democratic wins here in our state, because I feel that some of the republican canidates that lost were a better choice and better equipted to deal with the economic issues of our state.

Know what you mean, Paul. Lincoln Chafee, a popular, and moderate Republican from Rhode Island lost his seat to a Democrat. The Senator's approval ratings among Rhode Islanders were high, but the disapproval of Iraq was higher. Quirkily, the new Democrat's name is "Whitehouse". :D

However, I'm also very disappointed that the incumbents that have been in office for 2 or more years have not done things differently than the way things panned out.

It will be interesting to see what transpires. :)

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We nearly had a democratic sweep in Wisconsin, but that isn't something that should surprise anyone. What will surprise people are the ballot measures that passed.

WI is now home to an amendment banning same sex marriage and it is also home to the death penalty.

I'm very saddened that both of these passed...

I'm not surprised. Sadly, like a few other blue states, the Great Blue State of Michigan also passed a same sex marriage ban in 2004. We haven't re-legalized the death penalty after being the first state to outlaw it 160 years ago.

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dems just took the Senate... got control of both houses! Heaven help us ;)

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dems just took the Senate... got control of both houses! Heaven help us ;)

Everything comes in cycles. In a way I wish one party would do such a good job for ALL of us that we would keep electing them in. What seems to happen is we get pissed off with the status quo every once and a while and change up.

Latest Discussions