rukopushni boi and Igor Levitts

T

thor6

Hello,
has anyone ever trained with Igor Livitts in Denver, Colorado?I know he is a friend of Vladimier Vasilievs, or atleast I heard he was.I have trained with Vladimier before in Systema, but it was'nt realy what I was looking for.At this point in my life I just don't care to train in systema right now,but I have heard from others about Igor Livitts and his rukopushni boi (sp?) style.I know rukopushni boi is generic, and in english just means hand to hand combat, but I heard his style is a little more aggressive and physical.Has anyone trained with Igor before? I appreciate any information anyone can give. Thank you.

Thor

erich

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I met Igor and worked with him a bit at a Vasiliev/Ryabko seminar in Denver back in 2000 (my how time flies)

Igor showed me a some of the combat sambo & r.boi that he had learned in the military in russia. It was agressive and powerful and he was good at it. More importantly, I enjoyed working with him. He seemed like a good guy.

His material was very different from Vasiliev's systema.

Anyway - years old memories of a some time spent over a single weekend. For what it is worth.

SilatFan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Can anyone explain what rukopushni boi is? I've heard of atleast one other Systema practitioner that teaches it in addition to his Systema. Is it more similar to "sport" Sambo? Or is it closer to a Krav Maga/"Combat" Sambo?

SilatFan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Also, from a Systema practitioners point of view, would this type of more "intense" training conflict with the apparent Systema goal of increased relaxation during combat?

OP
T

thor6

Hello,
I know Rukopushni boi transalted to English just means hand to hand combat.There is everything from empty hands, to all types of weapons, and alot of improvised weaponry also.From what I've heard, Igor Levitts fighting style of Rukopushni boi some consider a more hard style version of what Vladimier does.I know Igor likes to just call what he does combat sambo, because he is very well versed in combat sambo, as well as sport, but he is also an exponent of rukopushni boi. I know years ago Igor taught the KGB.He taught both KGB and Spetsnaz.He is a very nice guy.He does'nt teach martial arts for a living, but he used to teach for the Russian government years ago. Now he is a bodyguard, and is in charge of security for alot of government types in Colorado, and business types.I was hopeing to meet people on this forum who have trained with him, so I can get some more info. I am supposed to start training with him soon. I am grateful that one guy already posted on here his experiences with Igor. Thanks big time.

Thor

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
RB is "russian karate" in the same way SAMBO is "russian judo." Essentially, from what I have heard, most RB is the simple military combatives basics grafted onto Japanes karate.

milosmalic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Rook, I can't agree with you regarding RB.

The very principles of learning process, generating power, dispersing instead of accumulating force, obvious roots of traditional folk styles of russia ... are totally opposite to Karate.

About "SAMBO - russian judo" I cannot tell, but if we follow the logic I might say "Judo is japaneze Kurash".

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Milosmalic. There are many systems that are not all interrelated that go by the name RB. Most, however, not all, are based on Russian military combatives (themselves based on Russian regional fighting) and Japanese karate styles. The term "Russian karate" is not quite literally correct, which is why I have it in quotes.

In short, SAMBO was created from multiple influences. SAMOZ is the largest - it was created from Judo (studied directly in Tokyo) and Russian and western wrestling along with the personal innovations of Spiridonov and others. SAMBO was created with additional Judo influences and with additional research into western european wrestling and self defense (ie Dutch self defense etc). Sport SAMBO is sufficiently similar that it was/is refered to be some, somewhat incorrectly, as "Russian Judo."

Arthur

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Eric Said:
Anyway - years old memories of a some time spent over a single weekend. For what it is worth.

If memory serves me, it was a mighty fine weekend. Good company, good training, plenty of beer and an "interesting" waitress.

Arthur

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Arthur said:
Eric Said:

If memory serves me, it was a mighty fine weekend. Good company, good training, plenty of beer and an "interesting" waitress.

Arthur

Which sounds somewhat familiar to another weekend You & Eric spent in Vegas!:ultracool

Franco

erich

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not quite as interesting as the waitresses in Vegas. a couple of great weekends.

good to see you fellas! Here's to nothin!

cheers,
Eric

Latest Discussions