Royce Gracie vs. Bruce Lee

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
I agree with a different outcome every time.

If there are no rules, similiar to UFC type fights when it first started, why havent' any players lost an eye ball, or torn an ear off, popped testicles.....
Maybe those things don't work?

brought a gun, knife, staff.....remember there are 'no rules.'
Talk to the dog brothers.

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
WLMantisKid said:
Ok, so the SakurabaS might not be strikers, but they still ripped the Gracie's apart.
Sakuraba. Singular. ONE MAN. Not a whole bunch of cloned monkeymen, flipping over each other's guards and diving at each other's shins.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
I agree with a different outcome every time.

If there are no rules, similiar to UFC type fights when it first started, why havent' any players lost an eye ball, or torn an ear off, popped testicles.....brought a gun, knife, staff.....remember there are 'no rules.'

Dunno about the weapons, but there have been groin shots in that kind of competition. Goodridge won one of the figts he was in due to the guy giving up once he realized Gary had shifted the guy's cup out of the way and was lining up a knee strike.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Marginal said:
Dunno about the weapons, but there have been groin shots in that kind of competition. Goodridge won one of the figts he was in due to the guy giving up once he realized Gary had shifted the guy's cup out of the way and was lining up a knee strike.
Two for one here. I am reasonably sure that a gauged eye ball would take some of the fight out of someone. I notice a lack of popped/ruptured eardrums as well. Testical pops (NOT meaning 'groin shot' but literally a testicle that has been squeezed to bursting..... OUCH! Another one that reasonably speaking would 'work').

If it was truly No rules or No holds barred type of fighting then why haven't there been any crushed throats, more reported broken fingers, elbows.....

I think the worst pounding I saw was a Ninjutsu artist who was SERIOUSLY beat about the face in UFC 2 or 3 if I remember correctly.

Based on the evidence/reported injury/death rate in these no rules fights, I suspect that there are at least some 'gentlemen's agreements' being established. I doubt that even in Brazil that 'death matches' would be legal or insureable events (since some of these fights have drawn paying crowds) much like the UFC fights are paid, insured sporting events. SOMEWHERE in the contractual agreements with promoters, state sports event commisioners... somewhere there are guidelines being mandated.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Take a look at UFC 3. A HUGE striker, with only minimal fighter experience (Kimo) Hit Royce so hard and beat him so badly, he couldnt continue to the next match. Royce did beat him, but he couldnt go on after that. So a good, experienced fighter like Lee would kill him. Lee might not be big, but he had power and speed.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
this can now be settled once and for all... i took out my Rockem Sockem Robots (circa 1969) and labeled the blue guy "Brucie" and the red guy "Gracie"... and.... say goodnight Gracie... blue guy won.

Now to dust off Battling Tops.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
pete said:
this can now be settled once and for all... i took out my Rockem Sockem Robots (circa 1969) and labeled the blue guy "Brucie" and the red guy "Gracie"... and.... say goodnight Gracie... blue guy won.
Pete you still have those? :boxing: We used to have those too, and I think the heads eventually fell off! How about do it again best out of three? My money's on blue!

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Shogun said:
Take a look at UFC 3. A HUGE striker, with only minimal fighter experience (Kimo) Hit Royce so hard and beat him so badly, he couldnt continue to the next match. Royce did beat him, but he couldnt go on after that. So a good, experienced fighter like Lee would kill him. Lee might not be big, but he had power and speed.
Sir: What could induce this form of retardation?

Kimo is not bruce. Most importantly, kimo's alive.

Kimo is many pounds larger and more powerful. He did not fight royce from bruce's side-on stance.

He did not throw sidekicks. He did not fight in any way similiar to bruce lee, nor is he in any way physically similiar to lee.

He obviously juiced.

Royce didn't stop fighting because he was injured. He stopped because he was exhausted, and after such a long battle i'd like to see you do better.

And he still beat kimo.

gusano

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sakuraba broke Renzo's arm via kimura, punished Royce and Royler with leg kicks while they were on the ground, and almost broke Roylers arm via kimura before the referee finally jumped in and stopped it as Royler had no intention of tapping. Sakuraba proved two things, 1. He is one tough fighter 2. If you want to beat GJJ you better be able to A.) Prevent yourself from being taken down... and/or... B.)Be able to get back up if you are taken down. His wrestling background enabled him to do this and his superior striking ability allowed him to punish the Gracie fighters he faced. Props to Saku!

The funny thing about comparing Royce to Bruce Lee is that today there is no shortage of Brazilians and MMA's who can beat Royce. Royce was never even the best fighter in his family! But you compare him to Bruce Lee. There are MANY MMA'a and Brasilians who would beat Bruce Lee. Thats the problem with you people, thats the problem with TMA, you can't tell the difference between the movies and real life! Maybe Bruce would hit him in a pressure point and give him chronic diarrhea?

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
WLMantisKid said:
Well, first off.

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?fighterid=84

While I might have been mistaken that there was more than one Sakuraba. You are at fault as well. Thank you very much.
How?
And also, he beat all the gracies he fought by TKO.
Do you even know what a kimura IS? IT'S AN ARMLOCK. One used commonly in BJJ.
I have almost all of sakuraba's fights on tape. HE HAS NOT WON A SINGLE FIGHT BY KO. TKO means the referee stopped the fight, NOT by striking in this case.

OP
W

WLMantisKid

Eh who cares. You missed the entire point anyway.

The gracies arent hot stuff.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
hedgehogey said:
Sir: What could induce this form of retardation?

Kimo is not bruce. Most importantly, kimo's alive.

Kimo is many pounds larger and more powerful. He did not fight royce from bruce's side-on stance.

He did not throw sidekicks. He did not fight in any way similiar to bruce lee, nor is he in any way physically similiar to lee.

He obviously juiced.

Royce didn't stop fighting because he was injured. He stopped because he was exhausted, and after such a long battle i'd like to see you do better.

And he still beat kimo.

Excellent points!!!! :asian:

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
WLMantisKid said:

Nobody said that they were. They did however, open everyones eyes to the importance of learning grappling. Not all fights stay on your feet you know.

Mike

OP
B

Baytor

I'll throw in my 2 cents here...

If by a cosmic miracle Royce and Bruce could fight, I think Bruce would have won. If I'm not mistaken, he was researching grappling and ju-jitsu before he died. That would have at least helped against someone like Royce. Also, Bruce did what was the most efficient thing possible to end the fight as quickly as possible. All that said...I think it would have been pretty ugly if Royce would get his hands on him.

As to the Superman/Batman question...Batman would win because a) he's kinda crazy. b) he always has a plan. c) Superman is a boy scout. (not that there's anything wrong with that.)
:asian:

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
WLMantisKid said:

There's a 100,000$ prize in the gracie challenge for you if you really think so.

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
IamBaytor said:
I'll throw in my 2 cents here...

If by a cosmic miracle Royce and Bruce could fight, I think Bruce would have won. If I'm not mistaken, he was researching grappling and ju-jitsu before he died. That would have at least helped against someone like Royce.
Starting to, yes. But not in any way comparable to royce's lifetime of experience.

Also, Bruce did what was the most efficient thing possible to end the fight as quickly as possible.
Who doesn't?

OP
W

WLMantisKid

There's a 100,000$ prize in the gracie challenge for you if you really think so.

I merely stated that they're not worth all the hype that people give them. Much like some people give Bruce. Much like some people give the Samura. Much like people give Jimmy Page.

There's nothing in saying things like that which would make me have to prove I'm better.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a good fighter, in fact I'd only have my strength of will to get me out of a bad situation. The Gracies could have their way with me, but they're not as hot as some people would like to say they are.

Fightfan00

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think that there wouldnt be any fight between Bruce and the Gracies because Bruces wisdom and age would take over for him and reason out the situation.

Latest Discussions