Rope Bondage?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone have any good information on HOJOJUTSU, the samurai art of Tying up prisoners? Specifically techniques, illustrations, types of Knots...

Not that I plan on restraining prisoners in this manner, but I think it would be an interesting skill to learn, and a bizzare topic of conversation at parties...

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ahhh. . . a trip to the dark side. A fetish with a MA twist.

From what I gather this is still very popular in the States and Japan in fetish and bondage circles. It can go from the hard SM stuff to just the thrill of tying the perfect series of knots.

Now that you mention it, I wonder of there are any cool old stories about the history of the art in warfare.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zoran
Hmm....I wonder if my wife would want to practice an new style with me... :D

Try this link.
http://www.scottish-jujitsu.com/hojo_jutsu.htm

Google shows some results also.

Most of the links on Google have the exact same information, like they all copied the same page... and they only show 3 bindings, and no information on the knotting, which was an artform in itself.

Originally posted by
OULobo
hhh. . . a trip to the dark side. A fetish with a MA twist.

From what I gather this is still very popular in the States and Japan in fetish and bondage circles. It can go from the hard SM stuff to just the thrill of tying the perfect series of knots.

Yeah, you know, almost all the books and videos i find are on EROTIC JAPANESE ROPE BONDAGE... I found a few Actual martial arts reference books... and Bugei.com has 1 video series...

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
and in Marc Tedeschi's book, "Hapkido: Traditions, Philosophy, Technique" he has a section on Rope Techniques - it may not be just what you are looking for, but he does have stuff on knots, how to tie people up, as well as using the rope as a weapon.

old_sempai

Green Belt
Reaction score
New Jersey, way in the woods with 2 dogs, one pass
Don Angier Sensei, Yanagi Ryu has a couple of videos out on Hojojutsu and they can be purchased through the Bugei webstore. I had the pleasure of meeting and observing Mr Angier at a seminar last spring and regret not having met him years earlier.

:asian:

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by old_sempai
Don Angier Sensei, Yanagi Ryu has a couple of videos out on Hojojutsu and they can be purchased through the Bugei webstore. I had the pleasure of meeting and observing Mr Angier at a seminar last spring and regret not having met him years earlier.

I saw these! Have you seen them, do you know if they are any good? They were like 40 bucks each, which, while average for a MA tape, is still high without knowing the quailty of the material...

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
and Tukong Wu Sool also teach rope/belt/necktie techniques.

I actually saw a very, very high ninjitsu demo about 12 years ago, they were working against wooden and live blades and one of the "weapons" used was rope, fairly thick and soft, (as large as a big man's thumb, or if a sailor, as large as your mainsheet on a 24' and larger boat).

-MB

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ARRR Ye remembered it be Talk Like A Pirate Day!!!!

Actually Im not as interested in the fighting techniques, (We do do those in Ninpo) as I am in the actuall artfull Tying and knotting of the rope, to immoblize a prisoner.

In reality, if I were going to do that, I would use cuffs, or Zipties or whatever... but I think the rope work looks SO good.

I broke down and ordered a book on Japanese Rope Bondage (yeah the sexy kind) from Amazon this morning... it claims to have step by step knotwork in it, and the Borders books near here said they have an actual hojojutsu title in stock in ther Martial Arts book section, I am going to pick that up this afternoon.

old_sempai

Green Belt
Reaction score
New Jersey, way in the woods with 2 dogs, one pass
Sorry I dont talk like a pirate, my heritage finds one grandfather was in the Merchant Marine for over 40 years.... he started out when ships were wood and men were iron, and my other grandfather also was a ship's carpenter........... one was born in 1891 and the other in 1874........ and a great grandfather was the Harbor Master in Stockholm - he died in 1918 at the age of 83....