Roman Polanski Is Arrested in Switzerland

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A child rapist is a child rapist, no matter how big or rich they are.

Ted Kennedy should have been in prison for the death of Kopechne and Polanski should have been in jail for the rape, sodomy, and drugging of a 14 year old.

The only difference is Kennedy hid behind his dead brothers while Polanski pleaded guilty and ran.

Well Polanski has been caught. Justice? Well when you send someone to prision it's for many reasons. Punishment, rehabilitation, keeping them out of socity for societies safety, and MAKING AN EXAMPLE OUT OF THEM.

Polanski needs to be made an example out of him so the rich see they are not above the law, no matter where they hide or whom covers for them (like Whoopi Goldberg making excuses for him.)

Throw him in the slammer. We sent Phil Spector to prison, so send Polanski.

Deaf

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bring him back, sentence him, and put him in prison. That's it. Time doesn't absolve you of child rape. Not 'rape' rape my ***. And the victim forgiving him has nothing to do with it. HE is responsible for her pain, and his not coming forward to pay his debt is the reason for it continuing, not the prosecutor.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I can't help but think that you are allowing your perfectly legitimate revulsion at the crime committed by a 'famous' person to override the countless cases of the worse crimes committed that never see the light of day.

For example, Catholic Priest ... Choir Boy ... Politician ... Secretary ... an all too prevalent pair of couplets, the mingling of which is swept under the carpet and quietly absolved when things come to light on the odd occasion.

Don't allow the fact that this is a 'decadent' and priveledged 'artist' to make your rage any the less or any the more than for all those cases you haven't heard about or don't care to countenance.

Righteous indignation has it's place and without it sometimes things cannot be changed but it is inaccurate thinking to believe that venting spleen on one figure buys absolution for others that we know naught about.

Power is exploited every minute of every day around the world - until we break that equation the crucifiction of an unfortunate few who 'get caught' does nothing but salve consciences that are pricked by a vague sense of communal guilt.

We can rail and be sated by how moral we are to have cried for blood all we like - that says something rather worse about us than it does about the crime I fear.

All that said, I do have to confess that if it were my daughter he'd done that to ...

Your point is well taken, sir. I'm sure that there is a great deal of projection going on here. Since we can't get them all, let's make damn sure this one really famous guy gets strung up nice and high for all to see. That sort of thing, right?

Thing is, I'm sure that you're right, but it doesn't change the fact that he is a rapist that should be punished for his crimes.

As for me, though, I'm a pretty simple guy. I think that child rapists should be burned to death. All of them. Keeps us from having to try to rehabilitate the worthless filth, protects any future victims, and sure as hell provides closure to the victim. As for acting as a deterrent, well, it will at least prevent recidivisim in the case of that particular monster.

To be fair, I feel that way about all rapists. I don't care about the social status of their prey. A rapist destroys a part of a person. Sex offenders are slime and filth, purge them.

Mark

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just read that during the same period he was sleeping with actress Nastasha Kinski who was 12-13 years old. That`s a pattern of behavior. And there`s no telling how many other times he did it that no one has talked about. He`s a pedophile, plain and simple.

I say lock him up and throw away the key.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Poland is going to start (or planning to start) chemical castration of convicted pedophiles. Given the near zero chances of successful rehabilitation, this is something I would wholeheartedly support in my own country.
Just letting them go after they did their time is going to end with more victims.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Poland is going to start (or planning to start) chemical castration of convicted pedophiles. Given the near zero chances of successful rehabilitation, this is something I would wholeheartedly support in my own country.
Just letting them go after they did their time is going to end with more victims.

After this goes into effect for a few years, it will be interesting to see how effective it really is. I'm always a bit skeptical about the reliability of such "technological solutions". I doubt that even actual physical castration is 100% effective. Humans can be frighteningly persistent and inventive when it comes to their perversions.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Swiss Justice Ministry denied Polanski's bid for release, citing he is a flight risk.
AP ARTICLE C/O Breitbart
The last sentence in the article speaks volumes to AP's biases and is also patently false:
U.S. authorities asked for his apprehension and want him extradited for having sex in 1977 with a 13-year-old girl.
He isn't wanted because he had sex with a 13-year-old girl, he is wanted because he raped a 13-year-old girl, plead guilty to a lesser charge, and fled the country before he could be sentenced.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Swiss Justice Ministry denied Polanski's bid for release, citing he is a flight risk.
AP ARTICLE C/O Breitbart
The last sentence in the article speaks volumes to AP's biases and is also patently false:

He isn't wanted because he had sex with a 13-year-old girl, he is wanted because he raped a 13-year-old girl, plead guilty to a lesser charge, and fled the country before he could be sentenced.

I remember the case at the time but not the details, is there a reason he was allowed to plead guilty to a lesser charge? My knowledge of American law isn't much I'm afraid. While I'm sure there's a good reason, reading it makes it sound as if the charge is downgraded to something less awful or serious?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember the case at the time but not the details, is there a reason he was allowed to plead guilty to a lesser charge? My knowledge of American law isn't much I'm afraid. While I'm sure there's a good reason, reading it makes it sound as if the charge is downgraded to something less awful or serious?

I think usually in these cases they offer a deal to the guy in exchange for a plea so that the child doesn't have to sit in front of a room full of strangers and describe in full detail what the guy did to her.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think usually in these cases they offer a deal to the guy in exchange for a plea so that the child doesn't have to sit in front of a room full of strangers and describe in full detail what the guy did to her.

That sounds a good idea. Bad enough to have been violated in the first place but to have to relive it unnessarily isn't pleasant.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That and, plea bargains, supposedly, save the state the time and money that would have had to be spent on the prosecution.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Polanski will probably wind up doing more time in a Swiss jail awaiting extradition than he would have originally done in California had he not fled.... which shows what about us?

Polanski's avatars have bemoaned all the unfairness the justice system inflicted on poor Roman; yet who thinks 90 days is a sufficient sentence for what he did to that girl?

A just sentence would read more like 90 years in my opinion.

Odd nobody thought to seize his passport way back when.......

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the prosecution usually asks the court to seize someone`s passport when they`re considered a flight risk. Since they were working on a plea bargin where he would have probably seen almost zero jail time he wasn`t considered a risk. In fact L.A. is such a 'company town' regarding the movie industry that Polanski was allowed to leave the country to finish a movie he was working on while this was in it`s Grand Jury phase. ( He came back and they began the plea deal once it was determined they had enough for a case.)

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Update: The US formally requested this individual be extradited. In the intervening weeks, he has remained in jail. The Swiss judicial system has denied every effort of his to get out - realistically viewing him as a flight risk.

Who says there's no good news anymore?

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Update : Polanski still sits in a Swiss jail, and could spent months more there if he tries to fight the US extradition request. Oddly enough, the Swiss refuse to believe he isn't a flight risk.

He may wind up spending more time in jail now than he would have if he'd just done the original (way too brief) sentence in California.

Justice delayed isn't always justice denied........:)

FierySquidFace

Green Belt
Reaction score
I worry some of you do not understand that there is another side to this that the 13yo victim is not that any more. Samantha Geimer, she is married now herself and has repeatedly requested that the charges are dropped and because every time this farrago raises its head again she has to face the same crap over. I am not saying what was done was appropriate or acceptable no and but I think some of the comments here are overzealous and overpermissive of our own feral natures in destroying society's ills, if you will.

I think Samantha Geimer already obtained compensation directly from Polanski and wants this ended. Why does nobody consider her position? Why are we so keen to push this backwards and then even get this man raped in prison??? I do not understand that. There is a victim here once again typically ignored.

Very interesting point...

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think Samantha Geimer already obtained compensation directly from Polanski and wants this ended. Why does nobody consider her position? Why are we so keen to push this backwards and then even get this man raped in prison??? I do not understand that. There is a victim here once again typically ignored.

Does she really want it to end, or has she been compelled to say that after some sort of threat perceived or real? I'm not saying such a threat was made purposefully or otherwise, but such a possibility is one of the reasons why justice is pursued even if it seems to be against the wishes of the victim.