rolling . What is the point?

smacktap

White Belt
Reaction score
What are the practical aspects of rolling. Apart from looking cool how does it apply to real combat? I am interested in hearing from the experts on this forum.

nathan3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Like has already been said, it's a good response to being shoved from behind, because it gets you clear of any second attack. It's also a good way to defend against or uncoil from certain attacks, like certain wrist locks.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the practical aspects of rolling. Apart from looking cool how does it apply to real combat? I am interested in hearing from the experts on this forum.
It beats all hell out of the alternative -- conking your head on or through the ground!

Rolls can also be a very deceptive way to attack...

Muba21

White Belt
Reaction score
Rolling is a very good way of not getting hurt when pushed/shoved, also let's just say when you're falling out of a window/tree/house, you'd rather want to roll so that way you can have a safe landing rather than stumping down on your feet and get severely injured due to intense gravity when a falling object hits the ground.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rolling is a very good way of not getting hurt when pushed/shoved, also let's just say when you're falling out of a window/tree/house, you'd rather want to roll so that way you can have a safe landing rather than stumping down on your feet and get severely injured due to intense gravity when a falling object hits the ground.

Welcome to MartialTalk, Muba21. :)

Excellent point. A fellow that used to post here used his ukemi skills to roll out of a motorcycle accident. He was unharmed.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
On a practical note, you cannot practice throws and takedowns on a live person unless he knows how to roll and breakfall. That's a good enough reason alone to practice rolls.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
How many fights do you plan to get in over the course of your life?

How many times are you going to fall down?

Rolling/falling/breakfalling is arguably the most important self defense skill, as it's the one you'll use the most over a lifetime.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

While waiting in the emergency room with my father earlier this week a young man came in with a broken foot. They happened to put him in the same treatment room as my father and during the long wait for x-rays, pain meds and whatever treatment I got a chance to talk to the young guy. Seems he fell 20 feet off a ladder that had overbalanced (his bad) and was going away from the building he was framing. He said he landed on his feet and tried to roll but his foot didn't cooperate and it ended up crushing the bones of his foot. You could see the damage (yuck).
From that height you're bound to get injured no matter what. From a short height (i.e. standing) you should be able to tuck and roll when your center of gravity gets shoved off. As others have said... it's a better alternative and a skill/technique that should be practiced often.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Excellent point. A fellow that used to post here used his ukemi skills to roll out of a motorcycle accident. He was unharmed.
A friend of mine in college had to jump out of a car going 35 mph. He rolled out, suffered no injuries at all. Useful stuff :)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
You might never get in a fight.
You will assuredly fall down.

Being able to hit the ground from any angle without injury is a very important skill. Rolling ukemi is particularly useful when it's a high-speed fall like off a horse or motorcycle, on a slope, off a wall (although it has to be modified) and so on. In the chaos of battle you can end up taking hard falls for any number of reasons.

Another useful thing is that it makes you comfortable in uncomfortable positions like flying out of control or being **** over teakettle.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not to mention tripping over the cat, or the neighbor's kids toys.... :lol:

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rolling teaches you to receive the ground without injury. Receiving the ground will most likely be the result of falling in some way from day to day activities, but also applies to falling while fighting. Of course there are other ways of receiving the ground safely without rolling but most of them still use some of the body mechanics of rolling. One has to overcome their fear of falling before rolling can be done safely and properly, IMO. This fear of falling is what causes injuries for most day to day folks when they fall.

Aside from it's safety purposes, rolling at times can be a tactical movement. To further understand this, I would suggest you find a good Bujinkan dojo.

kempo-vjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A great example, I was walking with beer in hand, ( a little buzzed) when a trip over a mound of dirt, front rolled, tucked my beer, and came up feet first. No spilt beer, no foam. I turned back to my friends and said "did you see that"! Sad no one did. But I know now the training paid off. Really though a used to suck at rolling, I was sore after class. Now it;'s smooth, soft, and quiet. Except for when I'm slapping out.

el murcielago

White Belt
Reaction score
My teacher once said: "Ukemi is important, not because you gain the ability to not to get hurt, but rather protecting vital parts with knowing how to fall/roll properly! There may be situations you will feel pain, no matter how good you roll... but you may have protected yourself in general in using those skills when it is needed".

I thought I'd share this with you as a (part) of an answer to the post's question.

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that the constant practice of break falls and rolling keeps the skill available for when you need it. As you are falling is a rotten time to say wish I had practiced more.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Muba21. :)

Tsk Tsk. Carol is talking about me behind my back. LOL.

It's true tho, I was stopped at an intersection on my bike, and a kid in an SUV hit me at 40mph... never even applied his breaks, I had no saftey gear on, but I just hit the ground and rolled without giving it much thought... all I wound up with for my trouble was a large bruise where my leg hit the bars as I went over, and about a 3" patch of roadrash on one forearm.

And I dont even have good ukemi skills... I call em moderatley adequate.

buldog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I can relate to that. Got cut off by a car while on my bicycle going ~20mph, had to try going up a driveway. The front wheel buckled and I attempted to roll out. Almost made it but I was wearing my gym bag crosswise across my back and it didn't allow me to roll cleanly. The strap was what splintered my collarbone. Eventhough I got hurt it could have been a lot worse(ie face plant on cement at 20mph). In an accident things happen so fast you don't have time to think you just react. So keep practising your rolls there may come a time when you really need them.

Latest Discussions