Kobudo No Kihon and What is Martial Arts DVD!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like the Kobudo No Kihon DVD. I have watched several times. I don't have any dislikes about it. Soke's movement seems to me to be a little larger in the DVD than I have seen more recently. Of course that could be him trying to show more to the camera? I believe it is a great DVD. I don't think I have seen the other one.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
I like the Kobudo No Kihon DVD. I have watched several times. I don't have any dislikes about it. Soke's movement seems to me to be a little larger in the DVD than I have seen more recently. Of course that could be him trying to show more to the camera? I believe it is a great DVD. I don't think I have seen the other one.

What is Martial Arts was I believe shot around the same time as Kobudo No Kihon and is on the same level and quality. If you get a chance to view it I would highly recommend it.

Soke certainly can make larger movements when he wants to! :)

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kobudo no Kihon has a very glaring example of a compliant uke. One of Hatsumi sensei's ukes throws a punch that would not reach him.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Kobudo no Kihon has a very glaring example of a compliant uke. One of Hatsumi sensei's ukes throws a punch that would not reach him.
I missed that one! ;) Pun intended! :D

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
Here is the opening clip on youtube to what is martial arts. It is of really poor quality but it does give you an idea of what is in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlHZoK6M5oc&mode=related&search=hatsumi

All in all, I like this video/DVD quite a bit. I will look for that compliant uke in my next viewing Kreth!

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com
I believe I may have seen that DVD before too. The opening clip looks very familiar.

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I highly recommend 'budo-wa nan desu-ka' (What is martial arts?)! It is one of my favorites (easily in the top five).

Things I like:

Lots of different camera angles.

Shows all of the hajutsu kuho: tehodoki, taihodoki, happo geri, ken kudaki, keri kudaki, oya goroshi, ko goroshi, koshi kudaki, keri kaeshi.

Hatsumi-sensei is so relaxed and smooth (just another day at the office ;) ) as he puts the hurtin' on his uke.

Screamin' guitar riffs between each technique. \m/

Haven't seen 'kobudo no kihon' yet, but it's definitely on the wish-list!

Another one I can highly recommend (also in my top five favorites): 'Juttejutsu' - try it, you'll like it! ;)

[it's a lot better than this crap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-BTapDq3_k&NR]

Enjoy!

Latest Discussions