How much doe do you regularly spend on a knife?

Do usually spend between

• $0-25

• $25-50

• $50-100

• $100-300

• $300-500

• $500 and up

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I tend to spend between 25 and 50; and it is usually a tactical folder. I find that I can get a decent quality at this price, w/o breaking my bank or worrying if I lose or damage my blades in training.

M

M F

I usually buy Benchmades and the like. In the $100 range. I have spent as little as $25 and as much as $375. So it varies a lot.

L

lost_tortoise

I collect knives, so I am not sure if I voted correctly. I based my answer on those knives that I actually use and/or carry. I have dropped obscene amounts of money on customs before (read: greater than $1000) but I try to keep my carry purchases under $100. There are some extraordinarily good quality production knives out there for relatively good prices. Hell, the knife that I use every day without fail, for all types of tasks, is a Gerber EZ-Out. You can find these for $25 if you look hard enough. It's one of the best knives I've ever owned....takes and keeps an edge as well as most any other knife I've used.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If its not a historical piece, then nothing over $60. I buy for application not price though. I find myself buying $35 decent knives so I can ditch them in bad situations and not feel like I lost a fortune.

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I usually spend between $50 & $100 a go for S & W or Columbia River Knives.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OULobo said:
If its not a historical piece, then nothing over $60. I buy for application not price though. I find myself buying $35 decent knives so I can ditch them in bad situations and not feel like I lost a fortune.
And how often have you done THAT? Hmm?

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MACaver said:
And how often have you done THAT? Hmm?
I never kill. . . I mean kiss and tell.

Seriously though, I have ditched knives in situations where the police have arrived and it would cast me in a bad light if they saw I had a blade. Personal motto, "Be prepared, but don't set yourself up for catching a case."

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ive used my leatherman 100X more often than I ever have a fixed blade or tac folder....

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
Not how much would you spend, but how much do you usually spend?
On a folder i'll spend $90.00 to $150.00 on a good Emerson, CRKT or Benchmade. I try to keep two or three decent folders around the house in case I lose one.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I like benchmades and emersons, so if I shop carefully I can keep it in the low one hundred dollar range. And yes, I use my Leatherman way more often too, but it isn't a quick deploy if I need it. :)

Lamont

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I voted $50-100 since that's what I actually spend, however, since I have a good friend who's a dealer he gives me stuff for cost which means that I only pay about 50% of retail or less(like the $250 CUDA for $65 :D)

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I voted in the 50-100 range for one reason. The carry knife that I've had for 5 years now was 52 bucks. :) Spyderco Endura I. Most of the time, though, I agree with Lobo in that I get less expensive blades for the sake of convenience in case I have to "lose" it. :asian:

Brother Grimm

White Belt
Reaction score
I would have to say price would depend on knife type. You can get cheap $15 or so fixed blades that will hold an edge and do the job. I tend to pay a little more ($50 - $150) for my folders because that usually (but not always) relates to lock strength. The two folders I carry are for GP and self defense, therefore I like to feel safe in the knowledge that the locks will not fail should I need them for the later.

Kalicombat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I voted in the $50 to $100 range also. My daily carriers are a Cold Steel Voyager, and a CRKT M-16. I never leave home with out them. I collect Gerber Guardian II's. I currently have 6, as well as a Gerber Command II, and a pair of Gerber Mark II's. I have one Guardian II that I have had for 20 years and still holds an edge like the day I won it on a bet at college.