Returning to the arts

trapperdaddy

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm having a serious desire to return the arts but am torn on what style to return to. My background is in Isshinryu for 13 years where I left as a San Dan. I enjoyed the art but left because of changes in life and being very tired of the politics within my immediate organization.

I've stayed active, did crossfit for 5 years where I competed and have a very physical job to returning physically will be a nonissue. However, I am now 44 and have the usual aches and pains of someone who's been an athlete since very young. I own a small business and have a family so my commitment level will not be the same as single with no kids.

Here's the the schools I've narrowed it down too and what I believe are the benefits and cons to. I'd love to hear your opinions and thoughts.

Muay Thai - Instructor seems legit though I've not met him yet. Cost is good and background is good
Pro, I've always enjoyed fighting and this will give me plenty of it
It's simplicity is good for me since I came from a system where there was a ton to learn
No carrot to chase (all of you know what I mean)
Compete or not, still get what I need

Con, not as likely to be able to teach when I'm older
greater risk of injury which I cannot afford since I'm a laborer
Chance I could get bored with less to learn

Judo - School and instructors are legit and have a good lineage. Cost is good and school has long history
Pro, a system that's been around a long time and I would easily adapt to
Lots to learn and adapt to and my previous Sensai was a Sho Dan in Judo
I'd likely earn another BB which not a bad thing at all
Something I could teach when older and could incorporate my prior style into my teachings
Throwing people around was always enjoyable

Con, chasing the carrot again
not sure I'll have the same dedication because of distractions in life
I'll miss fighting

Aikido
Pro, could do style the rest of my life since softer
Isshinryu actually incorporates a lot of Aikido in the one steps so its familiar
School is established and instructor is legit
could teach when older and incorporate prior style

Cons, too soft and too much meditation
no fighting
Chasing the carrot again

Open to all of your thoughts and opinions to help in making a decision to commit too.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm having a serious desire to return the arts but am torn on what style to return to. My background is in Isshinryu for 13 years where I left as a San Dan. I enjoyed the art but left because of changes in life and being very tired of the politics within my immediate organization.

I've stayed active, did crossfit for 5 years where I competed and have a very physical job to returning physically will be a nonissue. However, I am now 44 and have the usual aches and pains of someone who's been an athlete since very young. I own a small business and have a family so my commitment level will not be the same as single with no kids.

Here's the the schools I've narrowed it down too and what I believe are the benefits and cons to. I'd love to hear your opinions and thoughts.

Muay Thai - Instructor seems legit though I've not met him yet. Cost is good and background is good
It's simplicity is good for me since I came from a system where there was a ton to learn

Judo - School and instructors are legit and have a good lineage. Cost is good and school has long history
Something I could teach when older and could incorporate my prior style into my teachings

I'll miss fighting

Aikido
Isshinryu actually incorporates a lot of Aikido in the one steps so its familiar

no fighting
Chasing the carrot again

Open to all of your thoughts and opinions to help in making a decision to commit too.
I'd want to know what kind of Aikido it is - that can have a huge range, including styles that have significant striking in them and are less soft, and some with no significant meditation. And some have enough sparring to let you get your fighting fix, too.

That said, from your personal preferences, I think you'd love the Judo. But I may be projecting in that. Go visit the schools, and see which one looks like fun to you. You know that - especially with life distractions, the aches of being over 40, etc. - how much you enjoy the people and the training will be a big factor.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's more important to decide what kind of "door guarding" skill that you want to develop through your life time.

For example, a

- kick that can knock down everybody on this planet.
- punch that can knock down everybody on this planet.
- throw that can take down everybody on this planet.
- lock that can break everybody's joint on this planet.
- choke that can choke out everybody on this planet.

As far as which MA style that you want to go back to, it depends on your goal.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I am sorry you didn't have a good experience within Isshinryu. I don't know where you live, but I'm in SE Michigan and I call tell you, no politics in the dojo where I train.

I'm a Ni Dan. Did not get started training until I was 46, I'm 56 now.

If you could find another Isshinryu dojo, would you consider returning?

The other styles you mentioned are all dandy; I have nothing but the utmost respect for them. But with your serious investment in Isshinryu training, you're going to find a few things lacking in many other styles, and by that I mean hitting hard. Unless you go to a gojuryu or uechiryu or similar type Okinawan karate style, or perhaps one of the harder Korean styles, you are not going to be hitting with the big power. I mean, give it a shot if you want. I sure am sorry to hear you had problems in your old dojo. If you are near SE Michigan, feel free to stop by the dojo where I train. It's small, lacking in politics, no contracts, come as you can, stay as long as you can, no judgment and no issues. And our instructor is VP of the WUIKA. We also do a lot of kobudo, both Isshinryu and Tokushinryu. Just sayin'...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's more important to decide what kind of "door guarding" skill that you want to develop through your life time.

For example, a

But you just described Isshinryu. ;)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wait, weren't you just asserting on another thread that Yoga was bad for martial artists because it moves too slowly and holds poses?
i was, but i said meditation not yoga, the two can be separate, i do meditation walking

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Masters division.

Do any martial arts that intrest you. There are leagues for old buggers. So dont sweat it.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I'll miss fighting

Aikido

no fighting
Chasing the carrot again

Hypothetically, if you had to make a decision in two seconds, what would you decide? Overthinking is waste of your time.. how much time you have to waste? Do it, if that do not work, your world will not have ended.. do some thing else..

Matt Bryers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
First, congratulations on feeling the itch again to keep training and learning, I think this is a sign of true martial artist.

After just turning 40, and training for over 25 years, I can recognize the feeling / concern of injuries as well as recognizing the importance of taking care of your body.

While all those arts are awesome, I would recommend Muay Thai or Judo before Aikido. Both are going to have an element of sparring that I think you will enjoy. Aikido you may find too soft at times, though it is an incredible Art.

In regards to longevity, I think you should research Jiu-Jitsu as well. Many of my students are over the age of 40 and a lot a just starting out. They train to just better themselves, and I notice that they tend to focus more on the technical aspects of Jiu-Jitsu, compared to the athletic pursuit.

Regardless of what you decide, I applaud your return and hope you find a place that fits you well.

Osss.

Matt

OP
T

trapperdaddy

White Belt
Reaction score
I'd want to know what kind of Aikido it is - that can have a huge range, including styles that have significant striking in them and are less soft, and some with no significant meditation. And some have enough sparring to let you get your fighting fix, too.

That said, from your personal preferences, I think you'd love the Judo. But I may be projecting in that. Go visit the schools, and see which one looks like fun to you. You know that - especially with life distractions, the aches of being over 40, etc. - how much you enjoy the people and the training will be a big factor.

Thank you for this reply, I think a visit to each is likely the best answer so I get the feel of which will be the best fit. You're completely right, the people make a huge difference in how enjoyable the training is.

The Aikido school I found that seems interesting is Aikido Kotokai Texas

OP
T

trapperdaddy

White Belt
Reaction score

For example, a

That's a good thought, it does help to think about the approaches that best suited me. Thing is, Isshinryu had all of that

OP
T

trapperdaddy

White Belt
Reaction score
I am sorry you didn't have a good experience within Isshinryu. I don't know where you live, but I'm in SE Michigan and I call tell you, no politics in the dojo where I train.

I'm a Ni Dan. Did not get started training until I was 46, I'm 56 now.

If you could find another Isshinryu dojo, would you consider returning?

The other styles you mentioned are all dandy; I have nothing but the utmost respect for them. But with your serious investment in Isshinryu training, you're going to find a few things lacking in many other styles, and by that I mean hitting hard. Unless you go to a gojuryu or uechiryu or similar type Okinawan karate style, or perhaps one of the harder Korean styles, you are not going to be hitting with the big power. I mean, give it a shot if you want. I sure am sorry to hear you had problems in your old dojo. If you are near SE Michigan, feel free to stop by the dojo where I train. It's small, lacking in politics, no contracts, come as you can, stay as long as you can, no judgment and no issues. And our instructor is VP of the WUIKA. We also do a lot of kobudo, both Isshinryu and Tokushinryu. Just sayin'...

Thank you Sensei Mattocks, I believe we have run into each other at possiby the IWKA events before I left, your name is framiliar. Unfortunately, I am no where near you and I'd like to keep my Sensei not revealed by saying where I am. I have the utmost respect for him and the Kai, things just went bad for a few reasons. I taught for eight years but was never given the title of Sensei because I didn't grow my school. I focused on my small group of students and made them badasses. Also, I went outside the school to MMA and BJJ to be able to test what I knew and get more to provide to my students and to the organization to which I was ostracized for doing (even though I could wipe the floor with pretty much everybody in the organization). I loved the versatility of Isshinryu and how the forms would keep opening doors for me but its time to start fresh and let my prior experience develop in a different way.

Arigatou Gozaimasu

OP
T

trapperdaddy

White Belt
Reaction score
Hypothetically, if you had to make a decision in two seconds, what would you decide? Overthinking is waste of your time.. how much time you have to waste? Do it, if that do not work, your world will not have ended.. do some thing else..

Valid point but I like to stick by my decision and not waste a Senseis time. I'm looking at my best choices and will likely pay them all a visit and decide from those experiences what will likely fit me the best.

OP
T

trapperdaddy

White Belt
Reaction score
First, congratulations on feeling the itch again to keep training and learning, I think this is a sign of true martial artist.

After just turning 40, and training for over 25 years, I can recognize the feeling / concern of injuries as well as recognizing the importance of taking care of your body.

While all those arts are awesome, I would recommend Muay Thai or Judo before Aikido. Both are going to have an element of sparring that I think you will enjoy. Aikido you may find too soft at times, though it is an incredible Art.

In regards to longevity, I think you should research Jiu-Jitsu as well. Many of my students are over the age of 40 and a lot a just starting out. They train to just better themselves, and I notice that they tend to focus more on the technical aspects of Jiu-Jitsu, compared to the athletic pursuit.

Regardless of what you decide, I applaud your return and hope you find a place that fits you well.

Osss.

Matt

Thank you, I've had the itch for years but filled it with Crossfit which honestly was wonderful. It really tested my will and the people were wonderful friends whom I still keep up with even though I had to stop. MA is in my blood, I loved being a part of it, the abilities I had, feeling of deep knowledge I got from Isshinryu and how I knew I really knew very little.

The first reply I got was I believe the best idea so far, visit them all and go from there, I'm bound to get a feel of them and there may be a great fit off that. I actually have trained in BJJ before and I prefer stand up. There is a ton to learn in BJJ (I've a huge book of their locks) but after training in it for a while when still in Isshinryu, it was not what I wanted to focus on the most.

Arigatou Gozaimasu

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this reply, I think a visit to each is likely the best answer so I get the feel of which will be the best fit. You're completely right, the people make a huge difference in how enjoyable the training is.

The Aikido school I found that seems interesting is Aikido Kotokai Texas
I'm only passingly familiar with Yoseikan Aikido (what appears to be taught there). It includes some techniques not found in many of the other branches of Ueshiba's art, and acts upon some principles I don't see as often in other Aikido styles. They often attempt to train themselves better as attackers (success likely varies from instructor to instructor), to create better practice. I'll be interested in hearing your reaction if you go visit them.

There may be others here on MT with more knowledge of Yoseikan.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

I'll miss fighting
Curious...Why do you think you would likely be unable to teach Muay Thai at an old age but that you could teach Judo? Why do you feel there is a greater risk of injury in Muay Thai than in Judo?

Muay Thai as a fighting system is simple. This I agree...however the Muay Thai I know is much deeper than what most see and can continued to be refined for lifetime. (Also, there are some weapons taught as a part of the historical aspect of Muay Thai within our organization. Though not a required element for advancement it is from where Muay Thai evolved and therefore a part of our training.)

Muay Thai fighting can be quite devastating but the training can be toned down when person to person. Hard on the bags and pads easy on the partner. I am 62 and have 6 students in their 60s who are training. It is all in how it is trained not what is trained.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your experience with your previous school. Going to each school for a few classes is a great first step to take. The training culture of each school could be very different from what you're expecting, either good or bad. Judo would has a lot to offer, it would diversify your training greatly. Muay Thai also has a lot to offer, of course the striking element, but it also has sweeps and some grappling. Muay Thai would also be a great way to keep up your striking training from Isshin-ryu . Aikido is a bit more difficult to say given each school can vary greatly considering the instructor's background.

Good luck

Latest Discussions