Return to judo or try something else?

donttapgosleep

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, im 19 and i used to do judo when i was a bit younger but i ended up leaving because my old coach was a bit of a dick and made me feel uncomfortable (i left at orange belt). Since i was young to present i always watched mma and grappling like ADCC, One SG,Olympic judo, olympic wrestling etc. and i done training drills on a grappling dummy (nothing serious just fun). Moving forward i want to start (or return to) A grappling martial art so my dilemma is whether i should return to judo (a different club since my old club closed down) in which i will train judo twice a week, it is a 5 minute drive from my house (or 20 minute walk) and i was told that i could be able to start from yellow belt although i may likely get a test just to make sure (even after i left i still studied judo syllabus and remeber every move just havent rolled/sparred actively so im confident) or should i train at a mma gym which offers Wrestling and/or BJJ which i can also attend 2 times a week but is double the price and around a 1 hour train journey, bare in mind the mma gym is just matured people (around 18+) while the judo club seems to intergrate youth and seniors (like early teens - middle aged).

Sorry if its a bit long but to conclude im trying to find out whether it would be better starting a new grappling martial art which around my area are double the price or return to my old one. Im very split on what choice to make and was looking for a few other perspectives (happy new year btw)

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In order to succeed in martial arts, you need to be able to go. At the very least:
  • You need to find it fun (or you probably won't go)
  • You need to trust and respect the coaches (or you probably won't listen to them)
  • The schedule and commute needs to fit (or you won't make it to class)
  • You need to be able to afford it (or you won't be allowed in class)
  • You need to like the people there (or you probably won't go)
With that said, the Judo school sounds like the better fit for you right now, because of the price and the commute. If you don't like the Judo school, or if there is something specific that you want out of the MMA school that Judo doesn't offer, that's when I would go to the MMA gym.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You are much more likely to train consistently at the club which is only 5 minutes away than the gym which is an hour away. Judo, wrestling, and BJJ are all great arts which complement each other well, but consistent training is the key to getting good at any of them. I'd recommend starting out at the nearby club for now.

Denoaikido

Green Belt
Reaction score
Do mma if you are leaning towards a martial art it's way more complete but if judo is close and you like the school judo is a great art on its own esp if they teach more then just Olympic style but even if they do it's a great training for a younger guy and I've done a lot of arts judo is one the best single art system you learn to really control with top pressure and no other art teaches take down quite the same except wrestling and some select bjj and nogi schools

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi, im 19 and i used to do judo when i was a bit younger but i ended up leaving because my old coach was a bit of a dick and made me feel uncomfortable (i left at orange belt). Since i was young to present i always watched mma and grappling like ADCC, One SG,Olympic judo, olympic wrestling etc. and i done training drills on a grappling dummy (nothing serious just fun). Moving forward i want to start (or return to) A grappling martial art so my dilemma is whether i should return to judo (a different club since my old club closed down) in which i will train judo twice a week, it is a 5 minute drive from my house (or 20 minute walk) and i was told that i could be able to start from yellow belt although i may likely get a test just to make sure (even after i left i still studied judo syllabus and remeber every move just havent rolled/sparred actively so im confident) or should i train at a mma gym which offers Wrestling and/or BJJ which i can also attend 2 times a week but is double the price and around a 1 hour train journey, bare in mind the mma gym is just matured people (around 18+) while the judo club seems to intergrate youth and seniors (like early teens - middle aged).

Sorry if its a bit long but to conclude im trying to find out whether it would be better starting a new grappling martial art which around my area are double the price or return to my old one. Im very split on what choice to make and was looking for a few other perspectives (happy new year btw)
Go to the one close to your house. And, enjoy the heck out of it.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Judo is a great base art and it seems that the school that is close to you will recognize your past experience if you can prove it. If you spend 4/5 years in Judo and move into BJJ/MMA, at your age, you’ll be awesome! Like others have stated, unless you are super dedicated convenience plays a factor in attendance. At 19 if you are at all sociable or find yourself in a relationship, a million things get in the way of attending class. Godspeed in you quest…

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A Judo friend of mine got into a fight in a golf course during the summer time. He grabbed his opponent's T-shirt and tried to throw his oponent over head, the T-shirt ripped, and his oponent was still standing behind him.

The more time that you have trained in gi-wrestling (such as Judo), the more time that you will need to switch into no-gi wrestling. So if you only care about "winter time combat", you won't have any issue. If you also care about "summer time combat", you may need to consider different options.

Last edited:

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
A Judo friend of mine got into a fight in a golf course during the summer time. He grabbed his opponent's T-shirt and tried to throw his oponent over head, the T-shirt ripped, and his oponent was still standing behind him.

The more time that you have trained in gi-wrestling (such as Judo), the more time that you will need to switch into no-gi wrestling. So if you only care about "winter time combat", you won't have any issue. If you also care about "summer time combat", you may need to consider different options.
Ooops wrong technique! Lol. Here’s a good one (requires login, but not ultra violent). Totally, agree with no gi training. Maybe the OPs school offers it.

Last edited:

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Or, you know, you could take a few minutes to learn how to throw someone in a tshirt, or even how to grab someone by their arms, not their sleeves. It's not that difficult.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Or, you know, you could take a few minutes to learn how to throw someone in a tshirt, or even how to grab someone by their arms, not their sleeves. It's not that difficult.
I had suggested this in a Judo forum. Everybody in that forum hated me big time. One guy said, "You are not even a Judo guy. Nobody care about your opinion. Why do you still hang around here?" I left that forum right after that.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I had suggested this in a Judo forum. Everybody in that forum hated me big time. One guy said, "You are not even a Judo guy. Nobody care about your opinion. Why do you still hang around here?" I left that forum right after that.
Wow, Just for suggesting no gi training. Almost sounds like there was extenuating circumstances…of course, I wasn’t there…

Would you agree that if someone trained in no gi or a combo for a few years, then went into bjj/mma that it would be a benefit? Possible a big benefit?

Remembering the original OP post.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow, Just for suggesting no gi training. Almost sounds like there was extenuating circumstances…of course, I wasn’t there…

Would you agree that if someone trained in no gi or a combo for a few years, then went into bjj/mma that it would be a benefit? Possible a big benefit?

Remembering the original OP post.
I think Judo guys should compete in wrestling tournaments to further test their skill.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think Judo guys should compete in wrestling tournaments to further test their skill.
Of course then it wouldn’t be a wrestling tournament, it would become something else. almost sounds silly. It appears that the poster was not asked what his goals were. Hobby, competition or street combat.

So OP, what exactly are your goals?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What was said in another forum doesn't really affect the reality of training. If you already thought this approach would work, why did you post something that seems to suggest it's a much bigger difficulty?

OffendedOnyx

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Reflect on your goals.
If your goal is to get back into grappling period any of those sports will improve you and assist you on an ADCC journey in a very general sense.
The MMA would be a nice add on to the Judo for sure...who knows you could end up as the next Karo Paryisian or Rhonda Rousey.

In my experience the majority of Judo is oriented at families in a gentle and inviting enviroment.
MMA was a bit more dog eat dog...at least in my experience.

What would you benenfit from the most? Sell yourself the pen bro

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

First, I'm sorry for your negative experience with your previous Judo instructor. Trying the new Judo club would be a great first step to see if their training culture is a good fit for you. The MMA gym sounds promising as well, even if it's a further drive and more expensive. If it's good training/instruction and more classes are offered then it justifies the price point IMO. I've trained with a youth integrated group before, just be aware that you might not get as many hours of productive training in. However, you won't know that unless you tryout the class.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The MMA would be a nice add on to the Judo for sure...who knows you could end up as the next Karo Paryisian or Rhonda Rousey.
Call me a pessimist, but somehow I doubt an orange belt from his early teens is going to make a difference one way or the other in a possible MMA career.

Latest Discussions