Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a fake to me

Mike

OP
C

clapping_tiger

I checked out the "Masters" degree in martial science it consists of a total of 80 hours of training. More than enough to earn a Masters degree in Martial Science(not the sarcasm)

25 hour Korean Martial Arts Program:
25 hour Chinese Martial Arts Program:
30 hour Japanese Martial Arts Program:

The cost of the one of the most expensive programs(and is only 58 hours,and only 18 of which is martial arts related), is the Associates degree at $2000.00 tuition(bachelors degree costs you only 2400). hmmmm shouldn't the doctorate cost the most. People will buy anything if it gives them a title I guess

I don't know too much about this kind of thing, but in my opinion this is just purchased rank. anyone with that many 10th degrees in this, 8th degree in that, Grandmaster in 4 different systems, 6th degree............................bla bla fickeidy da

OP
A

Astra

I didn't know Kickboxing had Grandmasters.. All hail Lennox, Grandmaster of boxing :rofl:

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I do not like to judge, but...please! that is way too much rank for anyone to acheive in a lifetime.
Maybe these are honrary ranks, if so he should have mentioned that!

:soapbox:

All those degrees?
That would take over 50 years?
How many 10th degrees can one acheive!
:soapbox:

I duno..........
:asian:

OP
D

Disco

Surfing the net. I got way to much time on my hands. I thought staying sober would be better than this:D

In all seriousness though. When all the mud slinging here was going on awhile back, I started to get curious. I've had my share of political B.S. in dealing with TKD over the years, so some things were not new to me. But being what I call "Old School", I focused within my chosen dicipline. So my education of Martial Arts in general was lacking. Since I have become half way proficient at turning on a computer and not having it crash:cool: my education has taken steps forward.

I am just in ????, can't even find an adjective to discribe it. The proliferation of styles and off shoots of styles and sub sets of off shoots of styles and grand masters and super grand masters and double supreme grand masters and grand masters with grand master ranking on top of grand masters rankings et al. It's almost like purdue's bone less chicken - it's just plain mind boggleing:confused: For someone to start training in the arts today, they better have an in with the FBI or CIA so a factual background check can be performed. Having shall we say shady claims by less than known people. If that isn't bad enough, the so called known and accepted people within the arts don't seem to be that much better. Now the old axiom here is "if the shoe fits, etc". I can understand having your own style and organization to promote that style, after you have been "blessed" by the powers that be to start said style. What I don't understand is how and why they must branch out and head/run multiple organizations. Me bad, of course I know why. To paraphrase Jerry McGuire - "Show me the MONEY". From going back to old threads, this action and those akin are prevalent throughout the arts and geographic locations. Plain english, everybody is doing it. :soapbox:

So I guess this could lead to another thread: "The state of credibility or the lack of it in the Martial Arts in todays society". Probably has already been done and buried. ;)

Sorry for the length, but you asked and I needed to vent. :p

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everytime I see a biography that just lists a bunch of ranks in various styles, from differant associations. I think "diploma mills".
I would prefer to read a biography that states who he trained under and for how long. Even with 40 years experience, one 9th or 10 degree would be plenty.

It's very easy to obtain various ranks from diploma mills. It just depends on how much money your willing to spend.
Several years ago I was doing research on a magazine article about martial arts frauds. I wrote to all the associations with adds in Black Belt magazine. I told them that I was a not yet a black belt, but I was interested in their promotion requirements. Well, out of about 20 associations, only one said I had to be a legitimate black belt with references and credentials in their style, before I could join them.
The rest offered to promote me to black belt for various fees. Only one wanted me to send them a video of me performing techniques.
One required that I buy their video training course for $5,000.00, and they would promote me to black belt. Three months later they contacted me and said that I could now buy the video course for the "low sale price of $1200.00. A few months after that the sale price was lower to $500.00.

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I absolutely agree, I would like to know who promoted this man to such levels. How could he accomplish so much?
In my opinion its impossible?

OP
A

A.R.K.

I've had the same encounters unfortunately. The World BB Bureau comes readily to mind. They wanted a peice of every student the instructor promoted. And offered to promote people without even a video test...in any style. That began my education into the world of MA's BS.

Another charged $50 per dan and another $100 per dan. Not to join per se but to wave the wand and 'promote' you to whatever rank you desired.

All that wallcandy and a buck will buy him a cup of coffee. :rolleyes:

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I hate to be one to judge, but the vast majority of the organizations that he is a member of are known diploma mills.

I am deeply embarassed to see that the organization that I founded is now used by such frauds. The International Dragon Kenpo Association was never intended to be an organization that confirms or confers rank. It's goal is to bring together martial arts to help them learn and grow, not to be a mutual ego stroking club.

Thanks for showing this Disco, it confirms my need to get out of the association. I refuse to be associated with a group that lacks fundamental integrity.

OP
D

Disco

It's just seems to be the way of the Martial Arts world today. I'm sorry that one of the organizations in question had some personal impact. I salute you for your position and integrity. Use of the internet is really opening my eyes to many things. In fact, there is another thread in the TKD section that has a connection to this one. I did'nt know it at the time I posted this one, but it showed up when reviewing that thread. I think this connection may have, operative word "may", some major implications for people. It concerns one of the higher positioned TKD organizations that has ties to the Kukkiwon. The same person that this thread is about is a high ranking member of that organization too. I don't recall him listing this organization on the bio though. I think the title of that other thread is "Have".........

Perhaps you and the other posters could take a look and give us your viewpoints. Thanks in advance for your participation (everybody).

OP
A

A.R.K.

So what would you call him?

Grandmaster or Professor or Doctor?

:rolleyes:

OP
I

IsshinryuKarateGirl

Wow, that guy has way too much to his name in the MAs. I seriously think he's a fake. His smile says that we can't trust him....

Latest Discussions