Whats Your Martial Arts Background?

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There are alot of members on this Martial Talk, most from different styles ect. I thought we could get to know each other a little better by posting our background.

Note: If you choose to post please include your current rank and your instructor(s) name(s).
:asian:

OP
DAC..florida

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I started in TKD at the age of 8 and have continued training ever since.

Current rank and instructors:

American Realistic Karate- 4th dan ( Founder David A. Schultz )
Tae Kwon Do- 3rd dan ( Master Michael Dunn )
Hapkido- 2nd dan ( Master Michael Dunn )

There's mine, that didnt hurt now lets see your's?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well here it goes: Matt David's Kenpo, Taekwondo, Shito ryu, Jundokan gojuryu, Ishin ryu ( I think), Kajukenbo (with Kimo), Kenpo (IKKA), Tracy's Kenpo, and Kenpo 2000. Within the Kenpo 2000 I am learning Krav Maga, Muay Thai, and Jiu Jitsu. Skip Hancock is my primary instructor but these days I study under Damon Tong (while Skip does the traveling Matt thing). I hold no rank in any system but Kenpo 2000 (unless you count my purple belt in the IKKA).

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
1993-1995: studied Pekiti Tirsia Arinis with Mike Berkeley and Agapito Gonzales

1995 - Present: student of San Miguel Eskrima with Tom Bisio
1995 - Present: student of Xing Yi Quan with Tom Bisio
1995 - Present: student of Estacada with Bill Schettino
1995 - Present: student of Chinese Die Da ("hit and fall") medicine; NCCAOM diplomat in acupuncture 2002.

Currently taking classes in Pekiti Tirsia Arnis with William (Billy) McGrath.

Instructor, San Miguel Eskrima
Black Belt (Si-Sook), Estacada-Kajukenbo

Best,

Steve Lamade

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
1988-1993
Taekwondo, Northern Shaolin Kung-fu, Judo
No rank - Turner, Sr (Brown Belt) and Mr. Aikerman (Unknown)

1993-1996
Goju-Ryu Karate
Green Belt - Ronald Long (3rd Dan) and Thomas Long (4th Dan)

1996-1997
Hapkido
Black Belt - Ron Brown (4th Dan)

1997-2000
Shorinji Kempo
No Rank, Considered equal - Bruce Harris (3rd Dan)

1997-2000
Tang Soo Do
Recommended for Black Belt test - Larry Shelton (4th Dan)

2000-2001
Kyokushin Karate Live in student
No rank - Budo Karate House Director (Nidan?)

1996-Present
Kenpo
No rank - No instructor

Rank currently claimed: All rank abandoned - White Belt

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Obviously somebody is still too inexperienced to comprehend the ultimate attainment in martial art training- "Kick Your *** Do" and "Sayonara-Do". :rolleyes: How sad!

Would some experienced MAists care to enlighten the younging as to what these are? Else I would give it a shot next week. See-ya, kiddo. ;)

OP
DAC..florida

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KennethKu
Obviously somebody is still too inexperienced to comprehend the ultimate attainment in martial art training- "Kick Your *** Do" and "Sayonara-Do". :rolleyes: How sad!

Would some experienced MAists care to enlighten the younging as to what these are? Else I would give it a shot next week. See-ya, kiddo. ;)

Yeah! If there is a meaning please enlighten me!

Ken,

I am 28 and dont like being called a "youngin"

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Previously I studied TaeKwondo and Kyokushinkai informaly for brief periods when I was in the army... my "formal" training consisted of:

Hapkido - Blue Belt 2 Red Tips- Harriet Johnson, Crystal Lake Tiger Hapkido and Center for Law Enforcement

Currently I study

Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu - 8th Kyu - Vic Siedleski, Shori Bujinkan Dojo

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by DAC..florida
Yeah! If there is a meaning please enlighten me!

Ken,

I am 28 and dont like being called a "youngin"

Kick-Your *** Do : No belt; no rank; no style. Combat martial art.

Sayonara Do: If the odds are against you, RUN! (And live to tell about it, or fight another day)

In essence, bound by neither the limitations of styles nor traditions, nor be constrained by your ego. The ultimate achievement in Martial Art, ie to Prevail in Combat and Survive!

BTW, 28? Pff! Some of us would KILL to be 28 again! Be glad that people still call you a youngin.

I

IsshinryuKarateGirl

Hello. I am a student of Isshinryu Karate. My sensai is Raymond Buckshaw (seriously). I am a brown belt in the school.

G

gojukylie

I am a Goju sudent within the International Goju Karatedo. I am currently holding a Shodan Ho after 5 years of training. I trained for 6 months in Wing Chung, a little Ninjutsu and a few months of Kendo. I enjoyed all of the styles but my heart it is Goju. It was great and I could bring the other styles and principles into my Goju.
Unfortunatally, the old saying ran true, "He who hunts two rabbits, will end up catching none".

L

LostGrrlDies

I am a white belt. I have been at my school for 2 months.

My school - Jun Kim's Martial Arts Center II

Arts - TaeKwonDo, Hapkido and Weapons :/ (i dont like the weapons part so far- stupid nunchucks)

My Master is Nels Gyland, he and sevral other of the instructors at my school (there are 8 of them see their pictures here) have trained together since the early 80's under Grandmaster Jin Chung. A couple of them are 4th dan and the rest 3rd dan.

Our school school is now part of the KoAmMuDo Federation and the head of our school is Grandmaster Jun Kim who I have yet to meet and will probably not meet until November '03, when our school will make a trip to south Florida (the location of the main school). Apparently he was here for black belt testing the week before I joined my dojang, but other than that visits between schools are far and few between.

Last but not least, thus far I must say... I have seen some people on this board complain about their school and instructors. I FREAKING LOVE.... L_O_V_E my instructors. They are the best group of guys and gals. Even though I utterly despise weapons training, they make it viable. I'm sure it helps that they come from a very strong and deep rooted foundation. While class is very structured and strict they also know how to make it fun for everyone. They are able to hit every aspect of martial arts: the ancient art used 2000 years ago (usless on todays street), practical methods for street fighting and competition methods.
:soapbox:

Now, thus being said, I have only been doing this for two months. Give me a year and I might be a whinny little "witch" :D

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have always tried to keep one main instructor who i consider a mentor, but at the same time i have tried to go to lots of seminars, view lots of video tapes, and train with lots of people.
To me though,especially early in your training, there is no substitute for having one person that you trust overseeing your overall training.
I have primarily worked in american kenpo and shaolin kempo, modern arnis w/ some ju jitsu, and okinawan weapons.
Also dabbled in tai chi and pressure points.

C

clapping_tiger

Kenpo -1st degree Black

yep, that's it only 1 art, but I think there is so much to learn in this art I could study it for many more years and still only have scratched the surface. However, I like to cross train in whatever is available around me. Be it books, video, seminar, or exchanging ideas with other martial artists such as on this forum or while traveling.

OP
DAC..florida

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am not trying to be critical and this is not directed toward one individual............please add the name of your instructor(s) and time you have been studying.

Latest Discussions