OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Summary of my First Day Back after Nearly A Year:

*wheeze* *pant* *grunt* *grunt* *cough* *wheeze* for about an hour and a half.

What I find interesting is the differences in teaching within the same discipline. My previous sensei placed everything on the center. Basic punches and blocks, all on center. New sensei, with explaination, places them differently. Example, zenkustu-uke finishes past the edge of the body, in order to fully deflect any incoming attacks. I admit, this makes fine sense; but, to my mind, it seems I should be donning the white belt as it does feel like I'm starting over.

The studio is nicely geared and both the class sensei and dojo sensei are attentive, considerate and well-informed. It's not a case of 'do this because I say'; but, rather, 'do this and here's why'.

My 15 year old daughter enjoyed herself; though, it was hard work for her and is very happy to be learning.

All in all, a fine first night (back)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations!
icon6.gif

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you.

My daughter, actually, is very happy to be training. She battles her weight and is very optimistic that MA will help her achieve her goal.

Me? I just missed it. I've felt, all along, that I need to do MA. Just some unnamed drive within me. Very curious, actually.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great job Egg and your daughter is right it will help with the wieght.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There's NOTHING like getting back in the dojo after being out for a while :D Congrats on getting back, and it's great hearing your daughter is into it as well!

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My primary goal is to help her self-esteem, both regarding her weight and her confidence.
Me? I just wanna be badass ;)

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I had been doing TKD for a few years before starting Seido in January, and have gone from a Christmas Day 220 lbs to 189 today. The weight will definitely come off if you eat better and keep going to classes :D

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2nd night was, as expected, much better than the first.

I bought me daughter her first gi; but, we had to go with a size 7. I had 20 mins to trim and hem the sleeves and legs before class; but, she looked good and made her feel more a part of things.

This dojo is impressive, to me. A lot of emphasis on strategy in both street-level fighting and competition kumite. Much drilling. It is so very unlike my previous seieikan instructor, no disrespect intended. It's a good place. And! my daughter enjoys it greatly.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2nd night was, as expected, much better than the first.

I bought me daughter her first gi; but, we had to go with a size 7. I had 20 mins to trim and hem the sleeves and legs before class; but, she looked good and made her feel more a part of things.

This dojo is impressive, to me. A lot of emphasis on strategy in both street-level fighting and competition kumite. Much drilling. It is so very unlike my previous seieikan instructor, no disrespect intended. It's a good place. And! my daughter enjoys it greatly.

Glad it is going well for you, keep up the fine wok.

Latest Discussions