Repetitveness the sparring!

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
Does anybody get it, especially when sparring with equipment (which is annoying especially in TKD because of the restricting rules ((somebodys scared of getting hit in the nads then)) do you find that when you exchange kicks and punches it seems it be a rythmn. Basically you kick and punch a bit, then they kick and punch and it goes bl**dy well no where and eventually somebody scores a punch, who can I get out of this boring stage and start getting my opponent probably. I know that TKD has rescrited rules and I cannot grab or anything, and I also hate wearing equipment, so what should I do if I am to follow these rules and get out of this rythmn. Does anybody know what I mean?

Regards

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yea I do, you must first relize do you what the sport or the traditional TKD, sport means exactly what you describe its all about rythem. Know go back to traditional and you find everything goes in sparring the only problem is finding a needle in a haystack. Good Luck with your endevors

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also try being unpredictable. More fakes, different attacks- 360's etc, moving diagonally, multiple strikes. I'm not fond of the start and stop. Once you get the stamina built up (and you know your opponent hasn't) then just keep going at them. (they will go to more classes then to build up theirs too). TW

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, There are many things that bore each of us in our training. Sometimes we do not see the value of it. Keeping on sparring,think about how you can take out the person in you mind when you see the opening, let it play in your head,and contiune the drills of sparring. Be creative in these drills which you are during when you say you want to take them down. .....aloha

V

Vadim

When you practice your basic techniques try and put them together in different types of combinations. Try these combinations when you are sparring. Dont just throw one punch and stop. Throw maybe a jab cross and a roundkick. One thing you dont want to do is admire your work. If you land a good punch or kick dont say in your head wow that was good and stop.Follow it up with more techniques. Dont get discouraged it takes some time but with perfect practice you should be fine and enjoy sparring even more.

-Vadim

M

markulous

terryl965 said:
yea I do, you must first relize do you what the sport or the traditional TKD, sport means exactly what you describe its all about rythem. Know go back to traditional and you find everything goes in sparring the only problem is finding a needle in a haystack. Good Luck with your endevors

I agree. A more self-defense/traditional system and you will get all the excitement you need.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
Hi,
Does anybody get it, especially when sparring with equipment (which is annoying especially in TKD because of the restricting rules ((somebodys scared of getting hit in the nads then)) do you find that when you exchange kicks and punches it seems it be a rythmn. Basically you kick and punch a bit, then they kick and punch and it goes bl**dy well no where and eventually somebody scores a punch, who can I get out of this boring stage and start getting my opponent probably. I know that TKD has rescrited rules and I cannot grab or anything, and I also hate wearing equipment, so what should I do if I am to follow these rules and get out of this rythmn. Does anybody know what I mean?

Regards
Stop taking turns. There's no reason you have to stop, or wait for them to play out unless they're giving you one.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
Corporal Hicks said:

Regards

If you are going full contact (i.e.hitting as hard has you can not holding back) then their shouldn’t be any rhythm…it should one person getting hit and the other keeling over.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:

If you are going full contact (i.e.hitting as hard has you can not holding back) then their shouldn’t be any rhythm…it should one person getting hit and the other keeling over.

This seems to be especially the case in some tournaments that I've seen. Some TKD instructors will teach you to be fast, so that you can tap your opponent quickly and score the point, but there are an equal amount who train good powerhorses, who'll just move in, take every opportunity and beat their opponent to submission.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

agreed unless the other guy can block till you run out of steam or break your momentum then its his turn to go full out

the rhythm comes about when two people know each other well and even if trying different techniques, will do a give and take sparring so each gets to defend and attack. It's not a good practice to do this to often you become mentally locked into that pattern of "X" number of attacks and then you tend to stop automatically

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
1)agreed unless the other guy can block till you run out of steam or break your momentum then its his turn to go full out

2)the rhythm comes about when two people know each other well and even if trying different techniques, will do a give and take sparring so each gets to defend and attack. It's not a good practice to do this to often you become mentally locked into that pattern of "X" number of attacks and then you tend to stop automatically

1,2) Only a untrained person would go until they run out of steam. A properly trained MA wouldn’t. This is why you need to use more than just one strategy when sparring. Musashi writes about this very issue in his book of 5 rings. He talks about getting caught up in other people’s rhythm and your rhythm when attacking or defending. I tried it and it actually works quite well.
Once you detect a rythm or patteren you can check it/jam it and thereby render the oncoming technique(s) useless.

There for an east pattern to read would be:

ABABABABABA= basically flailing away.

Another easy to read patteren would be:

AABBAABBAABB

Or

AABAABAABAAB

There for if you went something like:

AABABBABABABAABB

There is a pattern but it is not all that apparent and seems to be more random than anything else but in fact it is not.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One way to stop repetitiveness is to train freestyle in slow motion. This will allow you to read your opponent better and your opponent to read you better. You need to practice slowly but with full intent and be careful not to respond in a way that would be impossible at full speed. When things get repetitive slow down further. With practice, slowness becomes increasingly fast but try not to go faster than you can read and respond effectively to your opponent. Of course you will also need to spar fast also but I think that most people will find that slow training makes them able to respond better and more independently at full speed.

Jeff

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
One way to stop repetitiveness is to train freestyle in slow motion. This will allow you to read your opponent better and your opponent to read you better. You need to practice slowly but with full intent and be careful not to respond in a way that would be impossible at full speed. When things get repetitive slow down further. With practice, slowness becomes increasingly fast but try not to go faster than you can read and respond effectively to your opponent. Of course you will also need to spar fast also but I think that most people will find that slow training makes them able to respond better and more independently at full speed.

Jeff
I am actually against slow sparring. It makes for unrealistic training and the development of bad habits.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
I am actually against slow sparring. It makes for unrealistic training and the development of bad habits.
it depends on how you do it. Both sides need to be in the game and not do unrealistic responses. You need to control your ego and not worry about who is winning. Remember that slow means not going faster than you can respond spontaneously and well. Because of this when you hit a "flow" state slow sparring can be very fast.

Each to his own,

respectfully,

Jeff