Repeated movements in the first form

OP
S

SifuBoza

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So, youā€™re claiming WC includes spears, shields, cavalry, long and short bows, Bowie knives, firearms, maces and flails, and scimitars?
Yes wing chun covers all that in fighthing. You think ng mei didnt thought about that weapons in her time ?

OP
S

SifuBoza

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So, youā€™re claiming WC includes spears, shields, cavalry, long and short bows, Bowie knives, firearms, maces and flails, and scimitars?
Did you thing ng mei didnt think about that ? Yes she is ofc

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you get title for grandmaster your skill is done..he lives full life of joy and health, no need to practice speed Ć nd power anymore only forms šŸ˜
Even when you are 80 years old, you still need to polish your knock down power in case you need it. The worse nightmare for a GM is a 18 years old who throws a punch and knock him out.

Form is for teaching and learning only. Form is not for training.

Last edited:
OP
S

SifuBoza

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Even when you are 80 years old, you still need to polish your knock down power in case you need it. The worse nightmare for a GM is a 18 years old who throws a punch and knock him out.

Form is for teaching and learning only. Form is not for training.
Forms are everything in wing chun.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Forms are everything in wing chun.
Boza... I can't argue with your boundless faith in WC. Faith is not constrained by facts. So I grant you your faith. By contrast, I still love WC, but I am not a person of faith, either in religion or martial arts. For me beliefs can be a fine thing, but without objective evidence to support them, they are ...just beliefs.

Now regarding your quote above on forms being everything, my old Chinese sifu said of Wing Tsun (his branch of the WC tree), "There are four important parts of training: forms, drills, chi-sau and sparring. You must train all of them to be effective. Then he gave us gloves and headgear!

The biggest problem with WC in the modern world is that there is little to no sparring and fighting. Most practitioners are either hobbyists who at most do a little light and playful sparring with other WC students, or they are "untouchable Sifus" who wont spar because they know that they will get hit (as everyone does). Then their followers will lose their faith and quit.

Honestly? I have been guilty of both of these flaws. Now, I am a 67 year old hobbyist who practices and teaches WC for fun and not for fighting. And even when I was younger I was at best pretty decent, but never great.

To conclude, I'd add that I most admire sifus who behave as coaches, not as demigods. Maybe somebody like ...I don't know, maybe Alan Orr? ...He seems to act like a good coach, and in the videos I've seen, he keeps it real.

Last edited:
OP
S

SifuBoza

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Boza... I can't argue with your boundless faith in WC. Faith is not constrained by facts. So I grant you your faith. By contrast, I still love WC, but I am not a person of faith, either in religion or martial arts. For me beliefs can be a fine thing, but without objective evidence to support them, they are ...just beliefs.

Now regarding your quote above on forms being everything, my old Chinese sifu said of Wing Tsun (his branch of the WC tree), "There are four important parts of training: forms, drills, chi-sau and sparring. You must train all of them to be effective. Then he gave us gloves and headgear!

The biggest problem with WC in the modern world is that there is little to no sparring and fighting. Most practitioners are either hobbyists who at most do a little light and playful sparring with other WC students, or they are "untouchable Sifus" who wont spar because they know that they will get hit (as everyone does). Then their followers will lose their faith and quit.

Honestly? I have been guilty of both of these flaws. Now, I am a 67 year old hobbyist who practices and teaches WC for fun and not for fighting. And even when I was younger I was at best pretty decent, but never great.

To conclude, I'd add that I most admire sifus who behave as coaches, not as demigods. Maybe somebody like ...I don't know, maybe Alan Orr? ...He seems to act like a good coach, and in the videos I've seen, he keeps it real.
I agree with you about your sifu...you need to do spar to see can wc work against that and that. I spar almost everyday and wc work against all type of attacks. When you do apply principles you cant lose. I dont know if you know that when wc is created they first use weapons because long time ago there was fighthing with weapons not hands. Now imagine creators of wc made wc with flaws...they will get sliced with 1 mistake and died. I want to tell, wc has no flaws if you train corecrtly..sry for my english šŸ˜

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you grandmaster so you claim i am not right ?
I am no such thing. I am a student of martial arts for some time. Yes, i am telling you that are incorrect. Titles and ranks mean very little to me. You may call yourself the grand Poohbah of whatever and wear some snazzy costume, but it doesnā€™t translate to a skill.

Latest Discussions