Removal of Shadow?

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What do you guys think of this photo? Particularly, should we use Photoshop to remove the sunlight and extend the shadow on the ground?

We had someone buy the photo yesterday to display - it was just a random person though, not someone who owned the horse, they just liked it. We're wondering if the photo can be improved by making the dirt uniformly shadowed.

blogbhr734.jpg

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only spot I might edit is the hot spot right under the fence. I like how the shadow line and the wall line guide you to the horse.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am not a photography person and but I like tinkering with Photoshop. I do not know bout this image. I think the little pony is lost if he is the subject on his own? Though if the entire stableyard is the subject then I think it is just right as it is! I took out the light area for you and blurred the bkg and took down the saturation of the bkg also to make the pony more clear as the subject. I do not know if it is any better at all though. Least you can gauge now. Plus if you have already sold it then I guess the customer is always right!! Hope this is of some help? Spot the difference haha.. :) Janna x

3979899089_14f0222aff_o.jpg

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't change anything much... Play with shadows very much at all, and it ends up looking artificial. This looks real, and I like the contrast of the miniature pony with the full size world...

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only spot I might edit is the hot spot right under the fence. I like how the shadow line and the wall line guide you to the horse.

I wouldn't change anything much... Play with shadows very much at all, and it ends up looking artificial. This looks real, and I like the contrast of the miniature pony with the full size world...

Agreed. Nice photo. :)

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! The one that I posted is completely unaltered, so there is a lot that can be done.

It certainly helps to see the possibility, thanks, Jenna! My wife is working through the 2000+ photos from yesterday getting them sorted, picking the good ones, and photoshopping everything before posting them....so it will be a while until she has the time to work on a non-show photo.

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Bob here, the lines of the shadow and the wall draw attention to the horse. If you take out the shadow it will make the horse look that much smaller as you see in the other edited version. I would however play with the colors a bit to bring out the richness in the brick and the fencing :)

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with the other comments about leaving the shadow, drawing attention and such, but I also like how the pony chooses to stay out of the hot sun. Don't take that choice from the pony. ;-)

Matthew McMullen

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree I wouldn't change the shadow I would leave it the way it is makes the photo more realistic.

Latest Discussions