Reliable site for Chinese Kanji

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I believe they're just called Chinese characters. Xue?

Kanji is the Japanese word used by the Japanese and it is the Japanese name for the Chinese characters that the Japanese use in their writing system.

I have no idea what the Japanese call the entire Chinese writing system.

The Chinese do not use the word Kanji and at the moment the word for their alphabet that the Chinese use escapes me… that is assuming I ever new it in the first place :D

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK this was driving me nuts so I went and looked it up.. and I did know it before... I'm just old and forgetful.

And it is (Drum roll please) Hànzì (This is Mandarin I do not know what it would be in other Dialects)

And if you it the "H" hard, you can see where the Japanese got Kanji from. Hm.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
And if you it the "H" hard, you can see where the Japanese got Kanji from. Hm.

Kanji, I believe, means Han Character which is a reference to the Han Dynasty and the majority of people in China today still refer to themselves (ethnically) as Han people

Chinese - Hanzi
Japanese - Kanji
(and please correct me if necessary)
Korean - Hangul or Hanja
Vietnamese - Han Tu

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kanji, I believe, means Han Character which is a reference to the Han Dynasty and the majority of people in China today still refer to themselves (ethnically) as Han people

Chinese - Hanzi
Japanese - Kanji
(and please correct me if necessary)
Korean - Hangul or Hanja
Vietnamese - Han Tu

Since you asked....

Korean - Hanja or Hanmun.

BIG difference between Hangul and Hanja. Hangul is actually the native Korean writing system commissioned in 1443 as a way to increase literacy and give Korea its own written language rather than using strictly Chinese characters or Hanja. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangul

And if you ask me...WAY easier than Chinese! A simple alphabet, very easy to read and completely poenetic based.

Latest Discussions