Regarding Not Smoking (For the Smoker)

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being in the middle of quitting smoking, I found this article encouraging:

3/26/2007 - Quitting smoking may reverse artery damage

March 24, 2007—People who haven't smoked in more than a decade have arteries that are just as healthy as if they'd never picked up the habit, suggests a study in Hypertension: Journal of the American Heart Association.

Among its many harmful effects, smoking has been associated with stiffening of the arteries. Stiffened arteries make the heart work harder to pump blood and can lead to high blood pressure and other heart problems.

Link to full article

MilkManX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I havent smoked since May 15th this year. I am never going back. I have never been better in my training and its just too dang expensive now anyway!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I havent smoked since May 15th this year. I am never going back. I have never been better in my training and its just too dang expensive now anyway!
That's great! May 30th for me. I've tried tons of times in the past with no success. This time just felt different for some reason and I've had no problem at all maintaining.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Koff koff... koff ... I'm ...koff koff still wor-working...koff koff koff KOFF hack wheeeeze... working on it... koff... ack!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Koff koff... koff ... I'm ...koff koff still wor-working...koff koff koff KOFF hack wheeeeze... working on it... koff... ack!
I've talked to folks that stopped 20 years ago that are "still" working on it. It's an addiction like any other. You're always a recovering addict. Keep on keeping on, my friend. I wish you the best of luck.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've not smoked in a month, not by concious choice but because I've been traveling a lot and for the last 2 weeks I've been at my parents house in FL visiting. I've gotta also say that I've never had an addictive personallity, I've used and gone cold turkey on several things considered addictive with no ill effects or have used things that are considered addictive and never felt the urge to do it again. People are different and things affect them differently, the clsest thing I have to an addiction is coffee and even that I quit every now and then for months at a time depending on my lifestlye at the time.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wish I'd never started. I'm 100% in favour of measures that discourage new smokers. Saw one of my former grade eights, now in high school, walking down the street the other day, cigarette in hand. It made really sad to see that.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is embarrassing, but I'll share. I smoked for 10 years, from age 16 to 26. I was a heavy smoker, up to about 2 packs a day, and I do have addictive tendencies. My father was a serious addict to many substances. I had tried quitting a couple times without success.

Then I decided I was just really sick of it, and I quit cold turkey. It was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. But I set my mind to it and succeeded. For years afterward, YEARS, I would get urges. I would literally have nightmares that I started smoking again and had to quit all over again. I would wake up with intense relief that it was all dream.

Finally, it subsided. The dreams went away, the urges left me completely, and I was smoke free for 17 years.

Then, the bomb. I had been going through about 7 years of intense stress. Because of everything going on in my life, I stopped caring caring about my health. Just didn't give a **** about taking care of myself anymore. We had moved to a new area and 98% of our new friends were smokers.

So, when hanging out in the evening, I'd take a puff here and there. No biggie I thought. Then I starting bumming whole cigarettes here and there. Then I bought a pack. I'd only smoke one or two hanging out. I'd wake up in the morning with a "smokers hangover" and think, ack.

By 4:00 in the afternoon I was ready for a smoke. A few days later it was 2:00, a few weeks later I'm waking up in the morning and lighting up.

Now I'm completely addicted again and I hate it. I hate the way it looks, I hate the smell on myself. I hate the shortness of breath. I've been smoking again for a year now. I tried Chantix. I took it for two days and stopped taking it. It made my head feel so funny I couldn't think straight. It made me feel worse than smoking did.

I'll have to quit again, and when I do, it will have to be cold turkey. My nightmare come true. I've learned you really have to gear yourself up and be ready for it because it's not easy, and it typically takes several unsuccessful tries before you succeed. You don't want to smoke but find yourself having to light up anyway. It's an incredibly addictive habit, and not just nicotine-wise.

Anyway, it's out there now, and I'm quite disappointed in myself. But, too late now. I went and done it.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I quit for 2 years, it was the WORST decision of my life.I picked up 60 lbs.Seems my metabolism was use to the " jolt" it got from cigarettes..When I stopped it shut down...

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I quit for 2 years, it was the WORST decision of my life.I picked up 60 lbs.Seems my metabolism was use to the " jolt" it got from cigarettes..When I stopped it shut down...

I was fortunate not to gain any weight when I quit, but I know that's a big issue for alot of people.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was fortunate not to gain any weight when I quit, but I know that's a big issue for alot of people.

You are SO LUCKY...My uniforms didn't fit and I had to buy a new ballistic vest cause my old one didnt fit..I started smoking again and in the first month I lost 10 lbs....

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
...and I was smoke free for 17 years.
I'm in a similar situation. I quit from 1990 until 2001. I'm trying to quit this summer, but it's tough. The gf smokes, and can't use patches (even the lowest step). Most of my golfing buddies smoke, and just about everyone who hangs out at our band practices as well.
A friend of mine tried Chantix, and it worked like a charm for him.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
According to the medical researchers tobacco is more physically addictive and harder to quit than heroin or cocaine. I feel for you, guys and thank the gods that I was propagandized enough as a kid to never think about starting

:asian:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The other times I tried to quit I tried the patch (and chain smoked while using them), the gum (tasted like crap and still smoked with the gum in my mouth), Wellbutrin (made me homicidal and had to give them up before I truly did kill someone). Cold turkey while on vacation was the only way that I was going to be able to do it.

Jade, I have the same fear that I'll slowly slip back into smoking. When you decided it's time to give them up let us know and we'll be your support group. That goes for everyone in this thread. If you're trying to quit get on here and post, PM, what ever it takes.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used to smoke 60 a day not all that many years ago.

I could light one up right now.

The demon is on your back forever once you've smoked because your brain chemistry permanently changes.

As Todd says, until the chemists got to work on the 'designer' drug molecules, nicotine was the second most addictive substance on the planet.

I tried to quit a number of times without success. Then I used one aspect of my personality to combat that aspect that is addicted - I gave my word. I promised someone whose opinion mattered to me greatly that I would pack in. I did. I still have and until she releases me from my promise I always will be.

Some days are bad but the days I am thankful are inumerable, despite the rotundity that has ensued from my metabolic rate and appetite changing :eek:.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
First - to all of you who have quit - CONGRATULATIONS! To those who are thinking about quitting - you're half way there - take the plunge ... it only hurts for about a month then the cravings gradually lessen. The biggest trap to avoid is "trigger" situations.

I smoked for 17 years (from age 16 to 33) and quit only when my wife and I got on the same "I wanna quit" cycle. Until then I'd quit while she continued to smoke and vice versa. The weight gain is unavaoidable 'cuz you need to feed that oral fixation with something other then a smoke. The trick is to use something low cal. I put on about 25 lbs and I'm still trying to take the last 10 of those off.

I went through nicotine patches for about 2 months, nicotine inhaler (which I'd still be using except my Dr. warned me about the potential for tumors) for about a year, nicotine gum for about 6 months then pounds and pounds of Wrigley Spearmint gum for about a year.. On Feb. 6th it was 11 years since I quit and straight up I feel 1000% better physically and mentally... unfortunately there are times when I still crave a smoke. I take a couple of looooong deep breaths (like when puffing on a smoke) and I get through the craving. There's nothing better then the mental victory of beating down a craving.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here's to you, OnlyAnEgg. All the best to you as you kick.

I myself quit for more than a year once, when I was doing yoga poses every morning. I started to feel differently about everything, and almost "automagically" I quit smoking, quit drinking caffiene drinks, and quit eating meat and junk food.

Nowadays, though, I drink the STRONG coffee, smoke, and eat whatever is in front of me.

I am off to the weight gym now, and believe me, I will smoke before and after -- oh well, perhaps someday I will try to quit again, or do the yogic postures, I just have to get into the ritual of doing them in the morning, it is not so easy to do, until it is started, then I am "addicted" to that, as well!!!

Keep at it, OnlyAnEgg, we are rooting for you!

Robert

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's to you, OnlyAnEgg. All the best to you as you kick.

I myself quit for more than a year once, when I was doing yoga poses every morning. I started to feel differently about everything, and almost "automagically" I quit smoking, quit drinking caffiene drinks, and quit eating meat and junk food.

Nowadays, though, I drink the STRONG coffee, smoke, and eat whatever is in front of me.

I am off to the weight gym now, and believe me, I will smoke before and after -- oh well, perhaps someday I will try to quit again, or do the yogic postures, I just have to get into the ritual of doing them in the morning, it is not so easy to do, until it is started, then I am "addicted" to that, as well!!!

Keep at it, OnlyAnEgg, we are rooting for you!

Robert

Yoga sounds interesting. I'd like to try it, not necessarily for the smoking thing you mentioned, but just because it sounds like a good exercise.

As far as smoking cessation helps, I really don't want to use the patch, or nicotine gum, etc. Does anyone know if Acupuncture can help?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some will tell you that acupuncture will work others will tell you no. Acupuncture did wonders for me for a back injury but I have to wonder if some of that wasn't psychosomatic. As I understand the smoking cessation aspect of quiting smoking the needles are put in the outer ear for consecutive days for awhile. It's time consuming and expensive. Cold turkey was the ONLY way that worked for me but individual results will vary.

Latest Discussions