Recommended readings..

Rayban

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kylz,

You can't learn to run without first learning to crawl. There will be books out there that are beyond you because they require a grounding in the fundamentals of the art. Something that can only come from experience with your instructor.

Think of it this way. I want to learn everything there is to know about chemistry. I do not start from a chem book that is intended for people in their final year. I just won't understand. Even a fundamentals book is fraught with confusion. You need a teacher to get the basics to build on.

Learning MA is a life long endeavor and there is no need to rush these things. As has been said before, enthusiasm is brilliant. But knowing where you stack up and what you don't know is just as important.

That said, there has been no real answer to the question : "what exactly do you want to read about?"

If you are interested in the history or philosophy of your art (You should get that from your instructor too) there are plenty of books available that would be quite suitable to read. They are only a google away. Also don't discount the multitude of information on this forum. As I have said to you before, I lurked for almost a year before my first post.

If you want a more practical read on specific techniques, movements and even movement strategies, then you will not find anything of use at the moment. Not only is it changing all the time, but there are possible errors in a few of them. Couple that with the confusing factor of having your instructor say one thing and a book saying another.

My advice is: Keep is simple and consistent. Too much information will insure your retain none of it.

I wish you well.

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Firstly, +1 to every one who has replied so far.

Secondly, Kylz, like Rayban, I've been a member of these forums since 2009 and have only really started posting in the last 4 or 5 months (if that!). I still make mistakes or ask questions which are not essential for my education in the martial arts at this point in time. Guess what? When I do, I get the same types of replies.

Don't get too offended if people on here come off as a bit "abrupt" or are not as open with their answers as you want them to be, you have to remember a lot of these guys and girls have been black belts longer than either you or I have been alive hence their approach and understanding will be vastly different to yours or mine. I'm making that comment as someone who's known you for a few years and not as a martial artist.

All of that being said, to put things into perspective, I started a thread a while back asking how people learn. One of the replies I got from my instructor was

... on a slightly deeper level, this art is taught through the method of Isshi Soden, which is a method of learning from "one heart to another". It's almost an osmosis form of learning, you learn by being in close proximity to the art, by being exposed to the movements and actions by being a part of them. This is why just watching videos just doesn't work as actual training, really.

While that comment there related to our particular art, it's quite a common thing from what I understand across most JMA (Japanese Martial Arts) and it wouldn't surprise me if that extended to KMA or CMA etc as well in their own expression of the concept.

Studying in ninjutsu, I have the option of doing a google search and turning up hundreds of thousands of results to learn from or going to the library and picking up any one of their books which are all suitable for beginners from a purely generalistic sort of view. Hell there are even home video courses readily available and I have one or 2 of them (from one of the major schools!). HOWEVER, if I was to learn anything from any of these sources, my instructor would need to spend the next class drilling the bad habits I've developed out of me rather than spending the time teaching me new techniques or understanding of the art.

Even ignoring the physical techniques themselves, the differences in opinions about philosophies and history is mind boggling and without having spent some time with a reliable source (your instructor!!) going through things, it's just not possible to pick up on your own regardless of how many uni degrees you've completed. At least not unless you have dozens of books open all at once which you are constantly cross referencing. In that case, great! Your theoretical knowledge will increase greatly but your physical skills will suffer considerably as time you could be spending training the forms/poomsae will be spent locked up in a room with piles of books. Knowing you, I'm sure that's not a trade off you want to make consciously.

Your best bet now is to take a step back, breathe and come back and read the advise given to you with a fresh mind and the attitude of a student with a totally 'empty cup'. Treat it as if you know nothing and you'll be amazed at how much you can learn. All the best with your training and your search :)

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just a quick addendum as I woke up this morning and realised I'd forgotten to acknowledge one major (IMO) point from the OP... cause you know, I totally don't think about martial arts or MT first thing when I get out of bed :p

Just the other night I was reading about the meanings behind the various pomsae and it actually made me appreciate them more, I wish we were taught that in class. I think it would probably be handy having a nice reference book to complement what i learn at TKD, rather than furiously writing down after class what I remember of the patterns I've been taught as to not forget them by next class!

Now this is something I can understand completely. The desire to learn the practical applications for whatever you're being taught. Again, books probably aren't the best way to go about it though. I'd say speak to your instructor and let them know you are finding it easier to learn and absorb material if you have some context to why certain things are done the way they are. I believe the term that describes what you are after in a karate environment is Bunkai. Breaks down each component of the kata into how it would be used in a "real" fight. With our school, our instructor spends time explaining why our sword cuts go to certain targets - due to gaps in armour - or why you move in a certain way with a certain footwork - constraints of wearing armour yourself - etc. Given that your teacher gets to spend 1 on 1 time with you and is closest to you in your martial journey, he/she is going to be a lot better to approach for these things than a group of strangers on an internet forum no matter their experience purely because they don't know YOU :asian:

Rayban

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just a quick addendum as I woke up this morning and realised I'd forgotten to acknowledge one major (IMO) point from the OP... cause you know, I totally don't think about martial arts or MT first thing when I get out of bed :p

Did you sleep in you Gi again? :D

OP
K

Kylz

White Belt
Reaction score
I

Sorry, I didn't see you write that in your original post - you said you were a yellow belt and wanted a recommended reading list (without the explicit condition that you wanted books only yellow belt appropriate). You've also then gone on to say that the current level is unimportant and that you don't think any books are beyond you.

The problem is you may find a book that seems very well put together, very full of information (a lot of it may be rubbish) and it's above your current grade/experience level. As your learning beyond the stuff you're learning in class you could be learning things that aren't the way your instructor wants you to do it. You then say you have the brains to take note where it conflicts with what you're taught in class but a)you won't have learnt these more advanced techniques in class yet and b)when you do learn them, you'll be set in your incorrect ways.

I applaud your thirst for knowledge, but the dojang is the best place for you to learn at your current experience level/grade.

My god, everyone take a stab why don't they? I mentioned I was yellow belt because I didn't want to be recommended books aimed at someone who's of a higher level! I did say I wanted to read stuff that COMPLIMENTS what I am learning in class, I'm not interested in trying to teach myself some new technique from a book, don't be stupid! What's the dojang for if that's what I want to do? I happen to like reading about things I'm interested as opposed to fiction BS.

Hell at least someone could have recomended a book that explains the patterns in it perhaps! A book they read when they were at my level maybe?

Infact I did find myself a book on patterns which has been a useful guide thus far. Rather than waiting until the next class if there is a part of the pattern I have forgotten that we've been taught in class I have been able to look it up and be reminded therefore the next class can be spent on technique rather than trying to remember the order of the pattern!

But hell.. let's just have a stab at me and how my dojang runs instead. Go on everyone grab out their black belts to wave around, belittle the yellow belt and feel grand about themselves, let's not encourage anyone else wanting to learn and let's not discuss anything constructive... I won't be back to read it.

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
My god, everyone take a stab why don't they? I mentioned I was yellow belt because I didn't want to be recommended books aimed at someone who's of a higher level! I did say I wanted to read stuff that COMPLIMENTS what I am learning in class, I'm not interested in trying to teach myself some new technique from a book, don't be stupid! What's the dojang for if that's what I want to do? I happen to like reading about things I'm interested as opposed to fiction BS.

Hell at least someone could have recomended a book that explains the patterns in it perhaps! A book they read when they were at my level maybe?

Infact I did find myself a book on patterns which has been a useful guide thus far. Rather than waiting until the next class if there is a part of the pattern I have forgotten that we've been taught in class I have been able to look it up and be reminded therefore the next class can be spent on technique rather than trying to remember the order of the pattern!

But hell.. let's just have a stab at me and how my dojang runs instead. Go on everyone grab out their black belts to wave around, belittle the yellow belt and feel grand about themselves, let's not encourage anyone else wanting to learn and let's not discuss anything constructive... I won't be back to read it.

Dude... relax! Why so defensive? No one has insulted your Dojang or you as a martial artist or your thirst for knowledge! The only thing everyone has been saying is that at present going through books might not be the best approach. To be fair you haven't specified that you want "the history of TKD", some background on the philosophies of the art or any such. It's just been an open request for a book and to be fair 99.999% of all beginners who ask for a book are looking for a quick shortcut to their training. Great to hear that you've done your own research and found a book which explains the forms from class for you. Perhaps you could share the title of the book and how you came across it and how it's helped you so far?

Calling someone who is giving you an honest, open opinion on a public forum - which is designed as a medium for artists to share their thoughts - stupid is really not going to help your cause in getting the advice you are after... You don't want to be getting a bad reputation before you even get your foot in the door. I'm sure if this was your instructor telling you to not read and concentrate instead on the stuff from the Dojang, your attitude wouldn't be the same and you wouldn't call them stupid.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

OK, look, let me try and turn this more positive for you. A couple of books that you might find useful:

Kukkiwon Taekwondo Textbook ISBN-10 : 8973367501

The Explanation of Taekwondo Poomsae by GM Kang Ik Pil (don't know the ISBN, but you want the more recent edition with the three step ghosted image on the front in the bottom right hand corner, you'll know what I mean when you see it)

Taekwondo Kyorugi: Olympic Style Sparring ISBN-10: 1880336243

The first book is pretty much the bible of Kukkiwon Taekwondo, it's big, (relatively) expensive and chock full of loads of information. It will have much more than you need at this stage, but it is the bible (so it will be useful later on) and won't have the amount of mistakes/inaccuracies that other books may have. The second book is much cheaper and is written by a major authority on Kukkiwon poomsae and is very useful for accuracy and performance hints. The third book is about stretching, kicking and sparring drills.

Hope that's more helpful to you. Good luck...

OP
K

Kylz

White Belt
Reaction score
Kylz,

You can't learn to run without first learning to crawl. There will be books out there that are beyond you because they require a grounding in the fundamentals of the art. Something that can only come from experience with your instructor.

Think of it this way. I want to learn everything there is to know about chemistry. I do not start from a chem book that is intended for people in their final year. I just won't understand. Even a fundamentals book is fraught with confusion. You need a teacher to get the basics to build on.

Learning MA is a life long endeavor and there is no need to rush these things. As has been said before, enthusiasm is brilliant. But knowing where you stack up and what you don't know is just as important.

That said, there has been no real answer to the question : "what exactly do you want to read about?"

If you are interested in the history or philosophy of your art (You should get that from your instructor too) there are plenty of books available that would be quite suitable to read. They are only a google away. Also don't discount the multitude of information on this forum. As I have said to you before, I lurked for almost a year before my first post.

If you want a more practical read on specific techniques, movements and even movement strategies, then you will not find anything of use at the moment. Not only is it changing all the time, but there are possible errors in a few of them. Couple that with the confusing factor of having your instructor say one thing and a book saying another.

My advice is: Keep is simple and consistent. Too much information will insure your retain none of it.

I wish you well.

Ray, you know me personally so you probably know what my thirst for knowledge is like and you can probably imagine how frustrated I am from being bombarded by the lectures above, some completely irrelevant and not getting any real answers. You know I'm not the kind who will run to the deep end (as everyone here seems to think I want to do) but I like to try and gather information along my way that is useful to me at that particular stage of my journey. I was hoping maybe there was something someone had read at my level which they think is worthy for others to read at this level. It also appears people here don't agree with the approach to learning you develop once going to uni! I don't like it when people tell me to stop and just get force fed info when it comes, I'd rather go seek it!

I think it's awesome how your ninjutsu classes include a philosiphy/history element to it and how further discussions after class follow. We don't get that so much in the classes I attend and they're quite practical focused start to finish, not everyone who does tkd is interested in it for the same reasons though, some are just there for the sport so I understand this but we are encouraged to practice and continue on our journeys learning about tkd outside of the dojang. (some here seem to disagree with doing so).

My hunger has already seen me grade again early because I take the time outside of the dojang to sit down and really make sure I understand everything I've been taught completely (seems some here also disagree with that too) Honestly, I'd rather take my time in grading and absorb more information about the non practical side of tkd along the way but without those resources how am I meant to?

There is a lot of books out there I agree, that's why I was hoping to start a discussion on what books people thought were useful during their early stages of practicing tkd regarless of what particular aspect it was about, however I did mention I wanted to know more about the non practical side of tkd. I had been taught a pattern however was not taught the significance behind it, once I read something about it, it sparked an interest to know more.

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know this was directed to Rayban but as he's gone to bed already and I'm awake as usual, I'd like to add my 2 cents if I may. Feel free to add on to this or disagree (if you do) Rayban!

It also appears people here don't agree with the approach to learning you develop once going to uni! I don't like it when people tell me to stop and just get force fed info when it comes, I'd rather go seek it!

Kylz, the major issue here is that you just can't approach learning MA with the same mindset as learning anything at a tertiary level unfortunately! Just going back to ninjutsu, I have a chart which shows vital pressure points etc for strikes, I can memorise the chart and find I have no practical use for it at all as under adrenaline the points change or can disappear completely based on your opponents' physiology. The information you seem to be after IS the practical aspect of the art. You want to know why the forms are as they are and why they work and how they work etc. Everything else is still just theory. Within MA, the only way to get that practical knowledge is to understand the basic forms and theory to a certain level before you can start applying your knowledge externally and unconsciously. It's like a light bulb goes off in your head whenever you try something new and it's the best feeling ever. However it's not a process that can be done in reverse.

I think it's awesome how your ninjutsu classes include a philosiphy/history element to it and how further discussions after class follow. We don't get that so much in the classes I attend and they're quite practical focused start to finish, not everyone who does tkd is interested in it for the same reasons though, some are just there for the sport so I understand this but we are encouraged to practice and continue on our journeys learning about tkd outside of the dojang. (some here seem to disagree with doing so).
Just something I'd like to point out, again should help put things into perspective. We (Rayban and I) have been training for about 3 years now. The after class discussions or the philosophy/history element are something that started in the last 6 months. We worked our way through the basics for the first 2 and a half years with nothing extra offered or asked for. 6 months on, our discussions still revolve around the exact same topics because we are still learning the absolute basics. Being a student of an Eastern MA means that sometimes you need to assume the mindset of an Eastern student. While the teaching may be Westernised slightly to suit the audience, there needs to be a compromise or it becomes what's known as a McDojo or Kindergarten MA class. With regards to not everyone wanting the same things from their art, it's the same with us. Out of everyone who trains on Tuesday nights there are 2 to 3 of us who stay behind out of genuine interest and enthusiasm to learn, another couple who stay because they don't have a ride home otherwise :p and everyone else leaves straight after class is done. Definitely something that's noticed by our instructor and the things we get exposed to as a reward for consistently showing interest is not something the others get and it's certainly not something we will be sharing with the rest of the class. Trust in your instructor to know what's appropriate for you at what time. If your teacher encourages you to do your own study (as ours does), ask them to recommend some starting material then post on here to say you've been through a, b and c and were wondering what the logical progression would be for d for example.

My hunger has already seen me grade again early because I take the time outside of the dojang to sit down and really make sure I understand everything I've been taught completely (seems some here also disagree with that too) Honestly, I'd rather take my time in grading and absorb more information about the non practical side of tkd along the way but without those resources how am I meant to?

There is a lot of books out there I agree, that's why I was hoping to start a discussion on what books people thought were useful during their early stages of practicing tkd regarless of what particular aspect it was about, however I did mention I wanted to know more about the non practical side of tkd. I had been taught a pattern however was not taught the significance behind it, once I read something about it, it sparked an interest to know more.
How you grade/how fast you grade has nothing to do with anyone on the forums. It's between you and your instructor to decide. If you have shown the necessary promise and capacity to grade early and progress further, then great! Congrats! There seems to be an issue though with what you are asking for and what's being communicated. You say you want more about the non practical side of TKD but also say that you want to understand the reasoning behind the forms which in itself is the ultimate exploration of practicality. Anyway, you've been given a few books to read now and I can't really comment on the specifics of TKD so I'll stop hijacking your thread :)

Rayban

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kylz, re-read this thread from start to finish. Hindsight is a good teacher of humility. As Supra has said, no one has levied any form of insult to you or your school. Why would they?

Learning takes time and learning a MA takes more time. There is no need to be a bull at a gate. I'm assuming (dangerous, I know, but since you didn't answer my question on what kind of book you are after) that you're after a book on history and philosophy. A strategy and tactical guide if you will which is light on actual techniques. Very acceptable. Everyone has stated this.

Now I and everyone else here could have taken your last post very differently. And frankly I did take it as insulting. But I'm not going to denigrate the thread or everyone else's posts by getting emotional.

Some constructive criticism then.

1. Again, re-read the post and analyse the language used.
2. Don't insult people of the forum. You will get nowhere.
3. Accept the fact that you are a beginner and that if you are told by your instructor or anyone else of a higher level that you aren't ready for something, you aren't ready.
4. MA requires a certain amount of maturity and your posts (unintentionally I believe) display very little.
5. Relax.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Rayban

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know this was directed to Rayban but as he's gone to bed already and I'm awake as usual, I'd like to add my 2 cents if I may. Feel free to add on to this or disagree (if you do) Rayban!...

I agree with every point bar one. As I assumed in my last post, I think she is after a more strategical and tactical read on TKD and not necessarily raw techniques.

That said, I'm still waiting for an answer on that and I hope she's after the former (hint hint :))

I can always count on you when I'm off asleep :D

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Senior beginner/ yellow belt class is only once a week, there isn't an option of more but I am found at the gym most days when not at the dojang.

I'm a little suprised you suggest not to read anything at this level and forgive me but I fail to see why I should refrain from wanting to learn more than what I am taught in class.. Perhaps it's just the uni graduate in me but I believe a teacher can only teach a student to a certain extent, it is then up to the student to take that knowledge they learn in class and to take it further if they really want to succeed. That includes both practice and in the case of theory, further reading.

While I do agree that a teacher will take you so far, it seems you have not even really began a journey with yours as of yet. It would be like taking your fourth grade math class and then getting on the board asking people for reading suggestions on quantum physics.

You have to be patient. If you are dead set on reading something then I would recommend reading Asian philosophy books, perhaps Neo-Confucianism books would be most appropriate. That way you will understand a bit more of where most of your seniors on this board are coming from. Siddartha by Herman Hesse, Zen in the Martial Arts by Joe Hyamms, Modern History of Taekwondo by KANG Won Sik and LEE Kyong Myong. These will start to fill in parts of the learning outside of class. If you are technique bound then stick with the KKW or ITF books that have already been suggested.

I appreciate your appetite for knowledge, but even gluttony is a deadly sin. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks,

We've already had a few posts brought to our attention from this thread. After reading thru the posts, I think things, for the most part are civil. To that, I say thank you. I'm not sure if the OP is going to see this or not, but I'm going to post it anyways. I've been teaching/training in the arts for 26 years. I don't do TKD, I do Kenpo. Over the course of time, I've seen countless people with the same strong desire to learn and improve. However, like others have said, the martial arts journey is a very long one, one that can't be done overnight. Its along, difficult, time consuming task. IMHO, I dont think that anyone is trying to say that you suck, that your art, school, or anything else sucks. What they're trying to say is there is alot out there. I could talk to 5 different Kenpo people and get 5 different answers from various Kenpoists.

Perhaps talk to your inst and see what they suggest for reading. Again, I'm not into TKD, but I'm sure there are countless books from various people, so talking to your inst. will probably get you headed in the right direction, as far as what books to read.

I wouldn't concern yourself, at this early stage, to get too wrapped up into trying to learn everything so quick. Take your time. I don't see anyone here thats giving you a hard time. I see people giving honest answers. However, many times, when people come on and ask a question, they hear things that they may not like, and in turn, misunderstand, take offense and things go to hell in a handbasket real fast.

TaekwonTiger

White Belt
Reaction score
heya,

apologies, I know this thread is a bit older but in case anyone else (or the OP) still reads it, it might be useful. I'm a yellow belt too and in the exact same position as the OP, can't get enough of reading, watching videos, trying to learn more or think if over and over in my head why certain people use a certain technique. I found however that any new thing I found that was different to what I've learned, I'd ask my instructor and he would either explain, or tell me that it is beyond my level. I keep a lot of information just to mull over and think through (such as olympic sparring videos) but it doesn't influence my home training as I stick to the exercises I've been taught or have discussed with my instructor.

For general background reading, I loved The Book of 5 Rings, and Taekwondo-specific I found A Killing Art very very interesting, learned a lot about the history of Taekwondo and why certain political things are as they are now (still dont understand the why's and how's, but it has become clearer).

hope those 2 books might help you too :)

lifespantkd

Blue Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found A Killing Art very very interesting, learned a lot about the history of Taekwondo and why certain political things are as they are now (still dont understand the why's and how's, but it has become clearer).

Trying to find accurate information about the history of Taekwondo is a much more difficult task than most beginners realize. I certainly didn't know back in the beginning that much of what I was reading (and taking for truth) was really a blend of truth and inaccuracy. One big red flag for me, as a researcher in another field, was the perpetual lack of primary (original) references in most writings about history. Either there are no citations at all or authors are just citing other writers who cited no primary references or there's no other evidence presented to support what the author is saying. Here's another read on the history of Taekwondo: http://tkd.stanford.edu/documents/tkd_history.pdf This document is at least supported by signed and sealed meeting minutes and so on, copies of which are not presented in the English translation but are presented in the original Korean book.

Staying open to learning, in my experience, is critical to one's development as a martial artist--and as a person. Much of what we learn in the beginning eventually needs revision, hence the many cautions in this thread about how to go about learning. I just wrote about staying open to learning on my blog, if you're interested.

Best wishes in your journey, TaekwonTiger!

Cynthia

Latest Discussions