Recommended readings..

Kylz

White Belt
Reaction score
I've learnt a bit from browsing around these forums so thankyou to those who contribute however since I'm only fairly new to TKD and only recently got my yellow belt I still don't have much to say around here however thirst for knowledge is huge!

I was hoping to compile a recommended reading list as I have a habit to grab a book before nodding off when I go to bed or if I'm taking a train/ bus/ plane etc somewhere. I might as well read something useful than not!

As for TKD theory thus far in class it hasn't really gone any further than the words we must learn for grading and some basic club/ TKD history. Just the other night I was reading about the meanings behind the various pomsae and it actually made me appreciate them more, I wish we were taught that in class. I think it would probably be handy having a nice reference book to complement what i learn at TKD, rather than furiously writing down after class what I remember of the patterns I've been taught as to not forget them by next class!

So my question is, if any what books would you recommend/ what books do you consider vital in your own study of tkd?

Thanks in advance. :)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds like you are looking for a KKW textbook of forms. I know one exists and has been given good reviews here.

That said, at your formative level, may I humbly suggest it is not time yet to start reading books or watching videos? Instead, try to take as many classes in person as you can. Give it a year or so before you start taking in information from sources other than your teacher.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Amen to what Dancingalone said.

Building understanding through practice with your instructor makes the best foundation. Things that are published may conflict with what you are taught and with other published work, causing more harm (or confusion) than good. What's in print is not as good as working with a qualified instructor in person.

If you wish to study more now: 1) attend more classes if possible, 2) practice on your own, both in slow motion and at speed, emphasizing correct technique, and 3) work on your flexibility and strength/conditioning.

Taekwondo follows a progressive development structure; learning early techniques, stances and movement correctly makes later learning easier. A weak foundation slows later growth, so time spent on this is never wasted time.

Carl

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
So my question is, if any what books would you recommend/ what books do you consider vital in your own study of tkd?

I first start with the books that your school has adopted, whether it be a school manual or an association manual. If your school is part of a larger association or recognized style, I would get the books of that larger association or style. For example, if you practice the Kukkiwon curriculum, I would get the Kukkiwon Textbook. If you are a part of the ITF, then I would get General Choi's books. If you are part of the ATA, then I would get their books.

OP
K

Kylz

White Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like you are looking for a KKW textbook of forms. I know one exists and has been given good reviews here.

That said, at your formative level, may I humbly suggest it is not time yet to start reading books or watching videos? Instead, try to take as many classes in person as you can. Give it a year or so before you start taking in information from sources other than your teacher.

Senior beginner/ yellow belt class is only once a week, there isn't an option of more but I am found at the gym most days when not at the dojang.

I'm a little suprised you suggest not to read anything at this level and forgive me but I fail to see why I should refrain from wanting to learn more than what I am taught in class.. Perhaps it's just the uni graduate in me but I believe a teacher can only teach a student to a certain extent, it is then up to the student to take that knowledge they learn in class and to take it further if they really want to succeed. That includes both practice and in the case of theory, further reading.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Senior beginner/ yellow belt class is only once a week, there isn't an option of more but I am found at the gym most days when not at the dojang.

I'm a little suprised you suggest not to read anything at this level and forgive me but I fail to see why I should refrain from wanting to learn more than what I am taught in class.. Perhaps it's just the uni graduate in me but I believe a teacher can only teach a student to a certain extent, it is then up to the student to take that knowledge they learn in class and to take it further if they really want to succeed. That includes both practice and in the case of theory, further reading.

It's a matter of being ready for sometimes contradictory information when you are still learning the basics in your style. Not everyone does things the same way, even if you are nominally within the same style and organization. Which then is the correct way? Arguably, that should be your teacher, regardless of what the book, video, or another person or teacher says.

I think the desire to learn more and from different sources is a good thing, but it should be quelled until one has reached a certain level of understanding in what one's teacher believes and then is better prepared to decide which interpretation works best for him. To me, that's not yellow belt. Yellow belts are still in the formative stage and they should focus on correct execution of the basics as taught by their instructor. Just my opinion - it's probably worth what you paid for it.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

That's a good suggestion.

OP
K

Kylz

White Belt
Reaction score
It's a matter of being ready for sometimes contradictory information when you are still learning the basics in your style. Not everyone does things the same way, even if you are nominally within the same style and organization. Which then is the correct way? Arguably, that should be your teacher, regardless of what the book, video, or another person or teacher says.

I think the desire to learn more and from different sources is a good thing, but it should be quelled until one has reached a certain level of understanding in what one's teacher believes and then is better prepared to decide which interpretation works best for him. To me, that's not yellow belt. Yellow belts are still in the formative stage and they should focus on correct execution of the basics as taught by their instructor. Just my opinion - it's probably worth what you paid for it.

I agree in regards to the practical side of TKD but as for theory why should there be an issue with wanting to read more?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree in regards to the practical side of TKD but as for theory why should there be an issue with wanting to read more?

Theory? I assume you mean philosophy instead of tactical concepts or principles. I suppose there's not much harm in reading about the trigrams and such if you are interested in the subject. If you mean the latter, my position has already been given.

OP
K

Kylz

White Belt
Reaction score
Call it whatever you prefer but theory = anything other than the practical stuff you do in the dojang.

Must say I'm a little more than disapointed that no one here seems to want to discuss or recommend anything they've read yet would rather try hinder my desire to learn more instead. I get the impression from the posts above people here think a yellow belt isn't good enough nor worthy of reading anything and trying to extend their learning beyond the dojang.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Call it whatever you prefer but theory = anything other than the practical stuff you do in the dojang.

Must say I'm a little more than disapointed that no one here seems to want to discuss or recommend anything they've read yet would rather try hinder my desire to learn more instead. I get the impression from the posts above people here think a yellow belt isn't good enough nor worthy of reading anything and trying to extend their learning beyond the dojang.

If I didn't know your age I'd take the above as pouting and you wrongly concluding that we judge anything by your belt. So far you've had senior students, school masters and a grandmaster answer your question. I suggest you spend more time here before judging, and you'll find a very experienced group here...but the answers will be real. Why don't you search through the archives, as there are several threads about different readings? A good starting point would be Zen in the Martial Arts, by Joe Hyams. There are people here who have been studying more than 40 years and many over 20. Humility is easier in person than online, but it has a place here too.

(I hope you don't really think there's a secret library that we only let you see once you have a black belt:)...it's really a comic book collection. Just don't tell anybody.)

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I didn't know your age I'd take the above as pouting and you wrongly concluding that we judge anything by your belt. So far you've had senior students, school masters and a grandmaster answer your question. I suggest you spend more time here before judging, and you'll find a very experienced group here...but the answers will be real. Why don't you search through the archives, as there are several threads about different readings? A good starting point would be Zen in the Martial Arts, by Joe Hyams. There are people here who have been studying more than 40 years and many over 20. Humility is easier in person than online, but it has a place here too.)

Hear hear...

To the OP, we're not trying to stop you from learning. In fact, we applaud it. But trying learn too much at too early a stage will just give you lots of conflicting thoughts that you aren't experienced enough to sort the wheat from the chaff. For example, I have a couple of books from the 80s/early 90s that have poomsae (patterns, forms, hyung, etc.) in them. If I read them now as a beginner (and no offence, but a yellow belt is a beginner still) I'd learn lots from them. Then my instructors would have to spend lots of time undoing mistakes.

The reasons are that Taekwondo has moved on and that those books may even have had inaccuracies at the time. This applies to basics and sparring - Taekwondo is an evolving martial art and there have been lots of changes.

Now, if you want to go to a library and get general books about Taekwondo/martial arts then great. No one here would want to stop you. Asking for book recommendations though will likely get recommendations for books above your knowledge level meant for people that can take what they want from the books and ignore the stuff they know better on (comparing them to modern standards).

There is a lot of knowledge in this group and we'll all be happy to help you, but don't go crazy reading up on lots of different books and mess yourself up at such an early point.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

First its sad that you only have class once a week? you should be training at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours three times a week and your instructor have assigned you based on your age a training diary manual with specific goals in both physical and educational goals that refer directly to your main Dojang or association text book after that your master instructor should be giving specific additional study as he thinks you are ready for. Your first 6-12 months of training are the most important part of your training for life becasue it will be the base foundation you build on for the rest of your life and determine what type of MA or BB you will develop into.

Its not that you should not be encuraged to study but there is so much out there you could be lost in a deluge of miss information or wrong direction contrary to what is needed for your level.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well lets see you do one class a week for an hour = lack of time to progress the material you are learning. Most good schools will tell you three times a week for 1.5 hours is a great beginning point. Reading about technical and advance techs just put the cart before the horse. Try to understand what this people are telling you as a positive and build a solid foundation for your journey to grow on.

OP
K

Kylz

White Belt
Reaction score
Hear hear...

To the OP, we're not trying to stop you from learning. In fact, we applaud it. But trying learn too much at too early a stage will just give you lots of conflicting thoughts that you aren't experienced enough to sort the wheat from the chaff. For example, I have a couple of books from the 80s/early 90s that have poomsae (patterns, forms, hyung, etc.) in them. If I read them now as a beginner (and no offence, but a yellow belt is a beginner still) I'd learn lots from them. Then my instructors would have to spend lots of time undoing mistakes.

The reasons are that Taekwondo has moved on and that those books may even have had inaccuracies at the time. This applies to basics and sparring - Taekwondo is an evolving martial art and there have been lots of changes.

Now, if you want to go to a library and get general books about Taekwondo/martial arts then great. No one here would want to stop you. Asking for book recommendations though will likely get recommendations for books above your knowledge level meant for people that can take what they want from the books and ignore the stuff they know better on (comparing them to modern standards).

There is a lot of knowledge in this group and we'll all be happy to help you, but don't go crazy reading up on lots of different books and mess yourself up at such an early point.

First up no offence taken on the yellow belt comment, I agree I am only a beginner and despite being recommended by my teacher to grade early, I am still a beginner! Why else would I ask for book recommendations? I like reading yes and I don't read fiction. I just want to learn!

Secondly, I am fully aware like other martial arts that TKD has developed and changed over the years. Some of these changes have even been pointed out to us in class but for you to tell me that some books are beyond me is insulting. I did say I am a yellow belt and wanted book recommendations for me at my current level after all but that said I still have the brains to take note of where things may conflict within texts or with what I'm taught in class... And because of these conflicts that may occur whether they're old techniques no longer used, differences in how a Korean word may be spelt or whatever it is another reason I asked for recommendations.

OP
K

Kylz

White Belt
Reaction score
First its sad that you only have class once a week? you should be training at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours three times a week and your instructor have assigned you based on your age a training diary manual with specific goals in both physical and educational goals that refer directly to your main Dojang or association text book after that your master instructor should be giving specific additional study as he thinks you are ready for. Your first 6-12 months of training are the most important part of your training for life becasue it will be the base foundation you build on for the rest of your life and determine what type of MA or BB you will develop into.

Its not that you should not be encuraged to study but there is so much out there you could be lost in a deluge of miss information or wrong direction contrary to what is needed for your level.

I train 1 1/2 hours a week and we are taught to not rely on just the time in the dojang to better our technique. We are expected to study what we have learned and to practice and improve on any weaknesses throughout the week.

I actually have a training journal which I've had for quite some time before starting TKD, I take my fitness seriously and upon starting TKD added in a new section to my trianing journal dedicated to TKD. We were also given a syllibus with what is required for each grading.

If you disagree with how my club runs that is fine, but please refrain from calling it 'sad'. I like my club and it fits in well with my beliefs on being self sufficient when it comes to ones own learning and personal development, you can't rely on someone else for that! I actually have to leave work early on the day I train for TKD, if I had to leave work early 3 times a week I'd either have to be finding a new job or a new MA then include that with the amount of time I spend at the gym each week. I'd have no time for anything else after that! At my age, once a week works fine, at my age we already have the discipline to practice what we have learned throughout the week before the next class.

OP
K

Kylz

White Belt
Reaction score
Well lets see you do one class a week for an hour = lack of time to progress the material you are learning. Most good schools will tell you three times a week for 1.5 hours is a great beginning point. Reading about technical and advance techs just put the cart before the horse. Try to understand what this people are telling you as a positive and build a solid foundation for your journey to grow on.

Like I said to the last person, don't like the way my school runs? Don't say a thing. We have small classes, so we get a fair bit of 1 on 1, it works great thanks for the concern.

And who said my focus was reading about technique! Read my initial post again, I wanted to further my knowledge of TKD in general, specifically the stuff we don't touch on a great deal in class ie not the technique stuff but the history, theory, philosophy etc. suitable for my level at yellow belt!!!!!!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like I said to the last person, don't like the way my school runs? Don't say a thing. We have small classes, so we get a fair bit of 1 on 1, it works great thanks for the concern.

And who said my focus was reading about technique! Read my initial post again, I wanted to further my knowledge of TKD in general, specifically the stuff we don't touch on a great deal in class ie not the technique stuff but the history, theory, philosophy etc. suitable for my level at yellow belt!!!!!!

But you see you should be learning history and all that though your TKD training, so if that is left out than you really are not spending enough time in class.

I never said I id not like the way your school is ran, what I said was you need more time in the school for training. Sorry but after 48 years doing martial arts one day a week and send you on your way is not enough. I really doubt you can say it works great since you are a yellow belt? You have no clue what works great or not, you cannot become efficent from one class aweek and be sent home, you have no clue if you are doing everything right when you are home because you have no one there to correct anything that maybe wrong. I train with other BB so they can help me mke correction because we as human do not see our flaws like a coach or instructor can.

Lets just say every single person on this board have told you you need more time in the proper setting to get good at anything.

Last things you take your health and workout serious so let me ask you this do you only eat rpoperly once a week and pig out the other six day, well of course not it is not productive and we all know it. Enjoy your training but remember reputition is needed for perfection and perfection is hard to reach without proper teaching and time being correected.:asian:

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Secondly, I am fully aware like other martial arts that TKD has developed and changed over the years. Some of these changes have even been pointed out to us in class but for you to tell me that some books are beyond me is insulting.

I didn't mean it to be insulting and for that I apologise. However, I stand by my point (even rephrased as you state) that some books are beyond you. Some books rely on knowing what certain descriptions mean and you quite frankly won't have the background/context to get the best out of it. And even worse you may misunderstand information given and create mistakes/misunderstandings that your instructors have to work hard to free you from.

I did say I am a yellow belt and wanted book recommendations for me at my current level after all

Sorry, I didn't see you write that in your original post - you said you were a yellow belt and wanted a recommended reading list (without the explicit condition that you wanted books only yellow belt appropriate). You've also then gone on to say that the current level is unimportant and that you don't think any books are beyond you.

but that said I still have the brains to take note of where things may conflict within texts or with what I'm taught in class... And because of these conflicts that may occur whether they're old techniques no longer used, differences in how a Korean word may be spelt or whatever it is another reason I asked for recommendations.

The problem is you may find a book that seems very well put together, very full of information (a lot of it may be rubbish) and it's above your current grade/experience level. As your learning beyond the stuff you're learning in class you could be learning things that aren't the way your instructor wants you to do it. You then say you have the brains to take note where it conflicts with what you're taught in class but a)you won't have learnt these more advanced techniques in class yet and b)when you do learn them, you'll be set in your incorrect ways.

I applaud your thirst for knowledge, but the dojang is the best place for you to learn at your current experience level/grade.

Latest Discussions