MA to complement TKD?

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've been thinking of studying an additional MA to complement my taekwondo in the future, facing it from the self defense perspective more than a sport. Some people have recommended me BJJ (not japanese, IDK why, and IDK the difference between them either), Muay Thai or even something with weapons like arnis.

On the other hand, people have told me not to take another martial art because I could "lose" my 1st one, but I pretend to practice the two of them at the same time.

I took classes of Hankido -not Hapkido- but I didn't feel comfortable.

What do you think about? Do you practice more MA than TKD or do you know people in this situation? What kind of MA would you recommend? ;)

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I walked that same road over 20 years ago HK.
I did some Kung Fu and Tai Chi (outside vs inside range, and linear vs circular motions). I started Escrima a few years later.
I'd say first off, how long have you trained?
My advice would be to get black in TKD, then branch out. Give yourself a firm basis to start from rather than being a beginner in many.
When you do start a new art, start with an open mind. Don't question the 'why' of doing a punch this or that way, simple accept it as another way of doing it.

Eventually you'll make your own conclusions.

OP
HelloKitty

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
[...]I'd say first off, how long have you trained?
I trained 4 or 5 years, then stopped for a couple of years for medical reasons and I'm training again for almost a year now.

My advice would be to get black in TKD, then branch out. Give yourself a firm basis to start from rather than being a beginner in many.Eventually you'll make your own conclusions.

I believe that too. I was thinking about getting the black belt 1st in TKD (well, I absolutely want it, with or without taking another MA in the future. I really love TKD! :D), that's why I said "in the future", but I'm still thinking what kind of MA would fit better...

Are you BB in more than one MA? Did you train the different styles separately or at the same period?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Though I have only had some dealings with the FMA styles and have had limited training in them, I think they would make a great compliment to TKD. They not only deal with weapons, but with empty hand as well. I would also check out EPAK, I believe it is a great compliment to any style. These are my opinions and I feel you should make this decision on what you want. Go take a month at some different schools, if you can. This would be a great helper with your decision.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I train TKD strictly as a close-quarters combat system, based on bunkai for the hyungs in our curriculum. We use the same methods as karate: deflections turned into traps, locks and pins to immobilize the opponent, elbow strike to the trapped opponent's face, knifehands to the throat, hammerfist to the temple, knee strikes to the abdomen, and limb destruction, based on the `one strike/one kill' principle, with emphasis on hand techs, and kicks kept low as setup moves or for lower body damage. Technically, TKD is just Korean shotokan. TKD was used as the battlefield combative system by the RoK army in both the Korean and Vietnam Wars—the only TMA, so far as I know, that was the standard H2H component in the training of a national military—with devestating effectiveness. If you're interested in the details, HK, check here.

There is an enormous wealth of SD capability in TKD if you learn how to train it properly. That's partly a matter of your school, but it's also in part up to you....

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I train TKD strictly as a close-quarters combat system, based on bunkai for the hyungs in our curriculum. We use the same methods as karate: deflections turned into traps, locks and pins to imobilize the opponent, elbow strike to the trapped opponent's face, knifehands to the throat, hammerfist to the temple, knee strikes to the abdomen, and limb destruction, based on the `one strike/one kill' principle, with emphasis on hand techs, and kicks kept low as setup moves or for lower body damage. Technically, TKD is just Korean shotokan. TKD was used as the battlefield combative system by the RoK army in both the Korean and Vietnam Wars—the only TMA, so far as I know, that was the standard H2H component in the training of a national military—with devestating effectiveness. If you're interested in the details, HK, check here.

There is an enormous wealth of SD capability in TKD if you learn how to train it properly. That's partly a matter of your school, but it's also in part up to you....

I would have to agree with exile here, I train stickly TKD now for over 25 years and the complete Art will caryy everything you need. But if you feel you are not getting this currently than look for what can fill those missing gaps.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been thinking of studying an additional MA to complement my taekwondo in the future, facing it from the self defense perspective more than a sport. Some people have recommended me BJJ (not japanese, IDK why, and IDK the difference between them either), Muay Thai or even something with weapons like arnis.

On the other hand, people have told me not to take another martial art because I could "lose" my 1st one, but I pretend to practice the two of them at the same time.

I took classes of Hankido -not Hapkido- but I didn't feel comfortable.

What do you think about? Do you practice more MA than TKD or do you know people in this situation? What kind of MA would you recommend? ;)

I think that cross training is a good thing. I do feel, as others have said, that you should have a solid base art first. Seeing that you had a break for a few years, I'd allow yourself some time to get back into the routine.

As for losing your first art...I don't feel that would happen. I waited until Brown in Kenpo before I crosstrained and I didn't lose any Kenpo. :) In addition to my Kenpo I do BJJ and Arnis. IMHO, those 3 arts blend very good for me. :)

As far as finding another art...you could give BJJ a try. It'll compliment your stand up as well as give you some solid groundwork. You could give the FMAs a try, such as Arnis and Kali. Not only will that compliment your standup, but you will find some of the best weapon work in those arts.

Good luck in your search. :)

Mike

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would have to agree with exile here, I train stickly TKD now for over 25 years and the complete Art will caryy everything you need. But if you feel you are not getting this currently than look for what can fill those missing gaps.

The thing is, HK, a lot depends on your instructors' approach to the art. I know Terry approaches TKD as a complete art, with coverage of both competitive training for those who favor that path, and SD training as well. But not all schools are so comprehensive. And in some cases, you may have to talk to your teachers about it. As a green belt, you may still be in a training phase which focuses on basic techniques in isolation; they may want to wait till you get to a more advanced level before starting you on serious SD. I'm not saying that that is the case, but it's a possibility. You need to ask your teacher about it specifically before you conclude that it's not in your curriculum. If it really isn't, then you'd do well to do some research on it on your own. As Mike and others have said, cross training can be very productive, but doing it too soon can be counterproductive, until you have a very solid grounding in your `base' are.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I chose hapkido.

Unfortunately, I reached a time in my life when I simply didn't have the time to dedicate to two arts, so in the end hapkido ending up supplanting taekwondo for me.

Now, my taekwondo background is something I consider a boon to my current study and training (in hapkido).

There are things I miss about training taekwondo, however.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I am CMA now but I use to be TKD and I agree as well, but I started training TKD many many years ago and I no longer tain it so I’m not sure how much my opinion carries here.

But for a supplement to much of the TKD I have seen in my area lately I would suggest Hapkido, Judo, Japanese Jujutsu or BJJ in that order since Hapkido I feel covers it best as far a TKD is concerned (same national root, if nothing else). But it truly depends on what you think is missing from the TKD you currently train

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think in general, yould probably want to hit an art with minimal overlap. For example Karate or even MT are also striking arts, so you're not really filling holes there. It'd probably be more useful to focus on something different like a grappling art.

BJJ is a derivative of Judo. It focuses on defending yourself while on the ground, usually from your back. It's generated a lot of interest due to MMA where the BJJ submissions etc caught the collective MA world off guard for a few years. Solid art, though it's traditionally lacking in striking and take downs.

Japanese JJ tends to be more like Hapkido. There's more focus on standing arm locks, throws, wrist grabbing etc. It's been considered useless in MMA circles since wristlocks and standing grappling along those lines doesn't transfer well to two sweaty shirtless guys.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Exile and Terry have made a very good point about the complexity and completeness of TKD. The problem is finding a way to draw out all the inherent information. If that is not going to happen at your school then it is probably worth while looking into something to supplement your TKD.

That being said I have to agree with Marginal in that you probably don't want an art that overlaps TKD too much. I actually think the best arts for this kind of supplimentation are JUjutsu, Judo and Aikido (unless you want to go Chinese, then its a whole different story :)).

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
TKD is my first MA. After studying TKD for a while I started Combat Hapkido. My experience in training in the two arts has been positive and it hasn't led to any confusion between the two. In fact, many of the close quarters techniques we do in TKD, such as passive resistor, police take-alongs, and a few other things also came up in Combat Hapkido training.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKD is my first MA. After studying TKD for a while I started Combat Hapkido. My experience in training in the two arts has been positive and it hasn't led to any confusion between the two. In fact, many of the close quarters techniques we do in TKD, such as passive resistor, police take-alongs, and a few other things also came up in Combat Hapkido training.

Yes! Yesyesyes indeedy... I found exactly the same thing after a Combat HKD seminar with Gm. Pelligrini earlier this year that Drac and Father Greek organized. Terrific seminar, about a year's worth of material there and... very, very similar in a number of respects to how many SD applications of TKD/Shotokan work.

If you take five C_HKD drills that `flow' harmoniously with respect to each other and put 'em together in one sequence...you'd have something very much like a kata/hyung, except for a conspicuous replacement of many striking moves by takedown, joint destruction etc. Basically, people, regardless of system or style, are going to discover that the same things work. What changes are the emphases...

foot2face

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've been thinking of studying an additional MA to complement my taekwondo in the future, facing it from the self defense perspective more than a sport.

I'm a bit of a purist and not a big believer in mixing MAs. I feel that it often leads to competing philosophies and actually hinders effectiveness. I wholeheartedly agree with those who have stated that TKD is a completely effective SD system. However, if you really want to learn another MA for SD purposes you might as well up the ante and choose a system that focuses on weapons such as knives and sticks. Personally, I'd take a defensive shooting course. A good kicker packing heat is a tough combo to beat!

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I say try Kenpo or Hapkido. I learned Hapkido along with my TKD which I found very useful..I was lucky that my master knew both.

Terry is right if you can't find everything at your current place then yeah branch out for another to teach the part you feel is missing.

It all depends on the teacher and how they teach and their approach to TKD. Some are strictly olympic while others deal more with both. Terry's school deals more with both (which is best by being easier and cheaper in the end..pay 1 school rather than 2)being I have been there and almost passed out from training I say it's all about what the insutructor offers.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am a Soo Bahk Do Practitioner....but close enough to TKD! My personal recommendation is Hapkido or Combat Hapkido - sticks with the Korean styles and adds a lot more of the Self Defense stuff in there.

I recently started training in Haidong Gumdo, Korean sword art and I LOVE it. It complements my weaponless style perfectly and has taught me a lot - it has even improved my SBD technique.

tkdboy81

White Belt
Reaction score
I have studied Jujitsu with my Tae Kwon Do. My instructors taught both. I feel that it has helped to make me a well rounded martial artist having the stand up style of TKD with the ground fighting of Jujitsu.

OP
HelloKitty

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
First of all, thank all you for the answers.There are very interesting points of view.

[...] If you're interested in the details, HK, check here.

I read the link you recommend me and I had no idea of what you are telling that person. I appreciate the info, and this perspective.

Terry, I sent your regards to my GM and he says hello to you too ;)

Hm... Your reply made me think I'm definitely missing something: talking with our GM about these feelings about a second MA and why. Maybe the gaps I see now will be filled in higher levels. (I just ask generally about the curriculum when I signed in).

The thing is, HK, a lot depends on your instructors' approach to the art. I know Terry approaches TKD as a complete art, with coverage of both competitive training for those who favor that path, and SD training as well. But not all schools are so comprehensive. And in some cases, you may have to talk to your teachers about it. As a green belt, you may still be in a training phase which focuses on basic techniques in isolation; they may want to wait till you get to a more advanced level before starting you on serious SD. I'm not saying that that is the case, but it's a possibility. You need to ask your teacher about it specifically before you conclude that it's not in your curriculum. If it really isn't, then you'd do well to do some research on it on your own. As Mike and others have said, cross training can be very productive, but doing it too soon can be counterproductive, until you have a very solid grounding in your `base' are.

Yes, exile, I think you are right and I'll talk with GM tomorrow about it. Thank you!

I think in general, yould probably want to hit an art with minimal overlap.

BJJ is a derivative of Judo. It focuses on defending yourself while on the ground, usually from your back. It's generated a lot of interest due to MMA where the BJJ submissions etc caught the collective MA world off guard for a few years. Solid art, though it's traditionally lacking in striking and take downs.

Yep, my husband and I were thinking of BJJ because of what you say to complement our TKD after becoming BBs. We think both MA could fit well.

Latest Discussions