Recommended reading ??

Fightback2

Green Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good books on self defense? Specifically women's self defense.

I've read The Gift of Fear, Her Wits About Her, Become a Feminine Warrior, A Girl's Gotta Do What A Girl's Gotta Do and Beauty Bites Beast. I would like to continue my book-learnin'
smile.gif
but can't seem to find anything else. (Also read Women in the Martial Arts and Coaching Women in the Martial Arts.)

Also, while I'm thinking about it, I'd like to find more statistics on violence against women if anyone has any ideas.

Suggestions?

AC_Pilot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not to squash the unarmed aspect, which is great if for nothing else, the mental aspects of self defense.. here is a book that every female who can legally own a handgun or even a home defense shotgun or carbine should read:
http://www.paxtonquigley.com/ Specifically her first book : "Armed and female" but she has written more since, I see..

The old saying that "G-d made man but Samuel Colt made them equal" is even more true for females vs aggressor males.

digitalronin

Green Belt
Reaction score
Fightback2 said:
Does anyone know of any good books on self defense? Specifically women's self defense.

I've read The Gift of Fear, Her Wits About Her, Become a Feminine Warrior, A Girl's Gotta Do What A Girl's Gotta Do and Beauty Bites Beast. I would like to continue my book-learnin'
smile.gif
but can't seem to find anything else. (Also read Women in the Martial Arts and Coaching Women in the Martial Arts.)

Also, while I'm thinking about it, I'd like to find more statistics on violence against women if anyone has any ideas.

Suggestions?

-The hand book on combatives (Army Field Manual 21-50), cut straight to the bread and butter of techniques, nothing flashy. Versions are available online, but am not sure if they are all the same.

- Get tough (ebook)

- The truth about selfdefense by massab ayoob. hard to find little paperback that covers a little of everything such as situational awareness, locks, dogs, improvised weapons, etc.

-Fierce And Female by Melissa Soalt, aka Dr. Ruthless available from paladin press . [Ok this is not a book, but she invented the bulletman suit :D ]

peace

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fightback2 said:

smile.gif

Suggestions?
"Strong on Defense" by Sanford Strong complements "The Gift of Fear" perfectly. Think of "The Gift of Fear" as a primer on assault prevention strategy and "Strong on Defense" as a primer on assault prevention tactics. IMHO, following the advice in BOTH books will give you more safety than attaining a fifth degree black belt in ANY martial art.

Latest Discussions