Recent Video by Alan Orr

Status
Not open for further replies.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is indeed how it looks. Is it an interpretation of the system you are familiar with?

---Yes, somewhat. But that is not I how learned it in Pin Sun.

What do you mean by a bridge?

---Contact with the opponent arm to arm. Usually at the forearm.

Isn't fighting predominantly about either punching and kicking or wrestling? I don't see another identifiable movement category in empty handed fighting. Of course wresting can be combined with hitting - this happens in MMA quite a lot.

---I guess maybe it lies in the unique way in which Wing Chun can combine grappling (in the sense of controlling the opponent with contact) and hitting.

Isn't that because they are doing chi sau?

---Well, I'm not sure what you mean. You implied you didn't see what Alan is showing in that video in clips of his guys fighting. I said you will see elements of it if you saw Alan himself sparring in the gym. They are doing Chi Sau in that clip in the OP, but not when sparring in the gym.

Poon sau, lap sau and chi sau are training methodologies in WSL VT. They address particular development goals. They aren't fighting methods, so I don't think you would expect to see them in fighting.

---You would never do a Lop Sau in fighting? Or deflect something with a Bong Sau when fighting? Or establish a bridge to work from in fighting? I'm afraid I don't see how any of that would then transfer to fighting if you don't. Exactly what are you developing?

If I understand correctly then force flow as shown in Alan's videos appears to be trained in CSL chi sau the way it is intended to be used in reality; as a balance breaking and body controlling skill at close contact while hitting, i.e. a way to mix grappling and hitting?

---I think that's a fair statement. But I would also say that there doesn't have to be as much "controlling while hitting" as Alan is showing in the clip. I've seen other people that Hendrik has worked with that simply used their "forceflow" methods to "bounce" someone away. I'll also say that other people that have worked with Hendrik independently of Robert Chu and Alan Orr have said they are not impressed with Alan's "forceflow" skills and think he is still using too much body motion. I've seen footage of some do "forceflow" and it looked rather "questionable".....meaning you have to wonder how cooperative the partner was being....one of those "flying through the air without explanation" things. I remain skeptical about that kind of "forceflow." But what I see Alan doing in the video simply looks to me like good biomechanics.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
---Sure he is! At least for Wing Chun. Watch the videos of Alan compared to that one of Ip Chun and tell me you don't see a difference in how he is moving and controlling his partners/opponents.

I did watch the video...it is nothing new to me or many in TCMA. As a matter of fact. some of what Alan is doing I have come across in a Wing Chun Sifu in a Yip Man lineage. Nothing against Alan, it is just what I have run into.

---I won't argue with that! But I'm sure they would say they are doing it in a different way. Hendrik would say this was how it was done in Wing Chun 100 years ago. But we have no way to prove that.

Actually I think Hendrick would refuse to answer anything and tell me I need to get a teacher. Or at least that is what he did historically to anyone who asked him questions or dared question him

Last edited:

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
You implied you didn't see what Alan is showing in that video in clips of his guys fighting. I said you will see elements of it if you saw Alan himself sparring in the gym. They are doing Chi Sau in that clip in the OP, but not when sparring in the gym.

I just searched "Alan Orr sparring".

I don't see anything he shows in his chi-sau clips in his sparring. All I see is lead feet, overreaching, and getting punched in the face. Where is it?

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I just searched "Alan Orr sparring".

I don't see anything he shows in his chi-sau clips in his sparring. All I see is lead feet, overreaching, and getting punched in the face. Where is it?

The guy he is sparring with would wipe the floor with you all of you quite easy without a problem , im pretty confident with that statement. I have sparred with him personally. He is an actual professional fighter in kickboxing and mma. The fact that Alan isnt getting murked is good enough for me. Not going to comment on the technique stuff , no point on a forum with people who are actively looking to disprove what he does.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
The guy he is sparring with would wipe the floor with you all of you quite easy without a problem , im pretty confident with that statement. I have sparred with him personally. He is an actual professional fighter in kickboxing and mma. The fact that Alan isnt getting murked is good enough for me. Not going to comment on the technique stuff , no point on a forum with people who are actively looking to disprove what he does.

That's a pretty stupid thing to say. Have you personally sparred everyone on this forum to know how they'd fare? I haven't even met anyone from this forum.

I'm not trying to disprove what Alan does. Just trying to find it in any sort of free sparring or fighting by him or his team. I'm confused as to why it doesn't seem to show up if using it directly is one of their goals.

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I have to agree with LFJ here; that is a bit of a silly thing to say.

Peter Irving is a low to mid level MMA fighter that doesn't fight much these days. Having experienced sparring with low to mid level British MMA fighters plenty of times from early 2000s to about 2010 I am not sure if he would "wipe the floor" with me or not. I would say that speculation of this type is pointless. I would also say that being ale to win a fight doesn't confer the ability to end all aguments about approaches to wing chun, which is at the end of the day what we are talking about on this forum. He is also Alan's friend and it is not hard sparring- they aren't trying to hurt or dominate each other.

I'm not going to commment on the sparring clip other than to say that I agree with LFJ that I don't see here what Alan shows in his chi sau clips. When they are grappling they are grappling in a standard wrestling style way; Alan's hips are out, presumably because he will get thrown if he leaves them in like a MT fighter. With hips out like this I don't see how the force flow can work?

I still don't know how the two sides of CSL training link together. I agree that the kickboxing side for MMA has shown results. But where is the other stuff?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

I agree with the "tough opponent" part Sean!

This is one of Alan's guys training for MMA, so very likely they are focusing on their CSL Boxing skills and specifically working the punching. LFJ, show us some video of any WSL person doing something like this and we can start taking your critiques seriously. I have a hard time finding any kind of sparring clips from PB's people or any WSLVT people for that matter.

Alan Orr

White Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with LFJ here; that is a bit of a silly thing to say.

Peter Irving is a low to mid level MMA fighter that doesn't fight much these days. Having experienced sparring with low to mid level British MMA fighters plenty of times from early 2000s to about 2010 I am not sure if he would "wipe the floor" with me or not. I would say that speculation of this type is pointless. I would also say that being ale to win a fight doesn't confer the ability to end all aguments about approaches to wing chun, which is at the end of the day what we are talking about on this forum. He is also Alan's friend and it is not hard sparring- they aren't trying to hurt or dominate each other.

I'm not going to commment on the sparring clip other than to say that I agree with LFJ that I don't see here what Alan shows in his chi sau clips. When they are grappling they are grappling in a standard wrestling style way; Alan's hips are out, presumably because he will get thrown if he leaves them in like a MT fighter. With hips out like this I don't see how the force flow can work?

I still don't know how the two sides of CSL training link together. I agree that the kickboxing side for MMA has shown results. But where is the other stuff?

I have no idea why you are so interested in CSL Wing Chun when all you do is guess and give your limited opinion.

Peter Irving is not a low level MMA fighter at all. He is a very well respected fighter and beaten UFC fighters and the Bellator Champ as well has a good Kickboxing record as well. He is a master coach and has taught and trains many of the top fighters coming about now.
Have you sparred with him? I can arrange it for you no problem and you can film it and show us how to deal with him. Let me know and it will happen.

As far as sparring and force flow goes. You do not know what you are looking for so your comments and opinion are just your limited points of view which have no level of meaning.

Chi Sao is all about control of energy and awareness of pressure control. I have 100s of free clips of my youtube channel and over 900 lessons on my web site. So its not a simple as you seem to think.
Why do you think one clip on a small area is the whole? Why do you think a clip of live sparring does not show chi sao skills? Sparring will look like sparring. The timing and control of weight position and many more things are all form chi sao training.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is about the closest thing I could find. Michael Kurth is very good! But notice that his partner in this pseudo-sparring clip isn't giving him real opposition like the guy in Alan's clip, and that his partner is doing Wing Chun and keeping things nice and tight for him. No body movement, no real footwork, no wide hard punches, etc. Do you guys know of any better sparring clip from WSL people?

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have no idea why you are so interested in CSL Wing Chun when all you do is guess and give your limited opinion.

I'm interested because CSL wing chun makes extraordinary claims. Generally I have no problem with what you are doing and I think it is good to see wing chun in MMA. But I don't understand the basis of some of the claims being made, and explanations given are very minimal, or completely incomprehensible when they come from HS. My opinion is of course guided by my experience of wing chun, how else could it be?

Peter Irving is not a low level MMA fighter at all. He is a very well respected fighter and beaten UFC fighters and the Bellator Champ as well has a good Kickboxing record as well. He is a master coach and has taught and trains many of the top fighters coming about now.
Have you sparred with him? I can arrange it for you no problem and you can film it and show us how to deal with him. Let me know and it will happen.

I haven't sparred with Peter Irving. But I think I could cope with a friendly sparring session with most MMA fighters at that level, having done so. I have sparred with some of the people you train/did train, for example Neil Broadbent, who was good. I don't think there is anything wrong with Peter Irvings skills and I respect his ability and his willingness to put it on the line. But merely saying "Peter Irving" is not an argument ending statement in the way your student intended it to be.

As far as sparring and force flow goes. You do not know what you are looking for so your comments and opinion are just your limited points of view which have no level of meaning

Then please provide meaning. I would genuinely like to understand the methadology involved and the purpose.

Chi Sao is all about control of energy and awareness of pressure control.

Ok, so chi sau in CSL wing chun is about learning to effect the body and balance of the opponent. Would you say that it is a kind of standing grappling method? How do the energy and presssure control skills developend in this chi sau translate to fighting? I am unclear how the chi sau skills, which appear to be used literally as if chi sau is a type of fighting, translate to actual fighting?

I have 100s of free clips of my youtube channel and over 900 lessons on my web site. So its not a simple as you seem to think. Why do you think one clip on a small area is the whole?

I haven't said it is simple, and I have seen some of your other clips. The drills, order and purpose of teaching appears to be different to those in VT I have experienced and I would like to understand why, given claims being made.

Why do you think a clip of live sparring does not show chi sao skills? Sparring will look like sparring. The timing and control of weight position and many more things are all form chi sao training.

I wouldn't expect sparring to look like chi sau in the VT I am familiar with. But then chi sau isn't applied literally. In CSL it appears to be applied literally, i.e. chi sau is treated as a kind of competition. Is this correct?

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not sure why you're trying to deflect, KPM. Nothing here is about WSLVT and I'm not saying anything is good or bad, better or worse.

Just wondering why the stuff Alan shows in his clips unbalancing opponents and bouncing them around with "force flow" skills never shows up in any sparring or fighting by him or his team when that seems to be the end goal.

Can you link the sparring clips in which you said it appears?

SaulGoodman

Green Belt
Reaction score
So you know Neil? Interesting.... When did you train with him and for how long?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes most wing chun 'fighting' clips are just feeder drills. My clips are live training with fighters.
Hi Alan, welcome to MartialTalk! I've enjoyed watching your videos on YouTube.

I do have a question regarding the sparring videos posted above. How much do the boxing gloves affect your choice of technique and angle of punches? I'm seeing a lot more hooking punches than I'm used to from most WC practitioners. It looks like you are mostly using these when your sparring partner is covering up with a tight guard and you need to get around his gloves. If you were fighting bareknuckle or with MMA gloves, do you think you would be sending more of those punches down the centerline and through his guard?

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi Alan, welcome to MartialTalk! I've enjoyed watching your videos on YouTube.

I do have a question regarding the sparring videos posted above. How much do the boxing gloves affect your choice of technique and angle of punches? I'm seeing a lot more hooking punches than I'm used to from most WC practitioners. It looks like you are mostly using these when your sparring partner is covering up with a tight guard and you need to get around his gloves. If you were fighting bareknuckle or with MMA gloves, do you think you would be sending more of those punches down the centerline and through his guard?

Good question. I'm glad to see Alan dropped in, and hopefully he circles back and can address this.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not sure why you're trying to deflect, KPM. Nothing here is about WSLVT and I'm not saying anything is good or bad, better or worse.

---Well, let's see. Your comment about Alan's video was: "All I see is lead feet, overreaching, and getting punched in the face." Sounds kind of critical to me. I think that falls in the category of seeing something as "bad" or "worse" than whatever you think is your standard. I just asked for video of WSL people showing a better standard....the one you are using for comparison.

Just wondering why the stuff Alan shows in his clips unbalancing opponents and bouncing them around with "force flow" skills never shows up in any sparring or fighting by him or his team when that seems to be the end goal.

---I don't think you've look very hard for it.

Can you link the sparring clips in which you said it appears?

---This one goes back and forth from Chi Sau into light sparring and back again.

Here Alan explains how some of the forceflow ideas from Chi Sau are applied in sparring:

Here's another one showing the Chi Sau to light sparring transitions:

Here's an explanation of how Chi Sau elements are used in sparring:

Plenty there if you just look for it!

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
---This one goes back and forth from Chi Sau into light sparring and back again.

Any body manipulation of the kind shown in recent clips only appears when Alan and Neil are contesting from the chi sau type platform they use. I can't see it in broken contact striking or in grappling.

Here Alan explains how some of the forceflow ideas from Chi Sau are applied in sparring

There isn't any sparring here. Argument appears to be a straw man - where is pushing from the shoulder and bending at the waist emphasised in any wing chun?

Here's another one showing the Chi Sau to light sparring transitions:

This again appears to be a kind of chi sau contest

Here's an explanation of how Chi Sau elements are used in sparring

This is interesting. Alan's portrayal of standard wing chun appears very unlike the VT I know. I don't know those movements as tan and jum for example, nor the way they are being used. Similarly the brief coverage of CSL strategies is very different to standard VT, based very much on shot for shot, cover retaliate type ideas. Again balance disruption is shown from a 2 hands on body situation, i.e. grappling or competitive chi sau.

I still don't see it being used in real time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions