Reality-Based Pepper Spray Training - Jim Wagner

ProTaekwondo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow great video! Thank you for sharing that, it appears very painful but realistic and I believe the USMC has a drill just like this. One thing I would like to bring up is how often does the aggressor carry pepper spray instead of another weapon? Usually a potential victim would carry pepper spray and so it would seem to me that unless you are going to war or planning on attacking some people in dark alleys that this may not be necessary (not to say that this wasn't a great video and I truly appreciate you posting it).

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Makes at least two good points...it ain't no fun to get sprayed, but it ain't necessarily the end of the fight either.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely. Plus if you have had it done several times then it bothers you even less.
icon6.gif

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing about pepper spray is that it works best on other cops... and you'll always end up getting sprayed yourself when you use it. If someone's pissed off enough, just plain eats enough hot foods, or not feeling pain... it doesn't work very well. (Though it usually hits them when they calm down a bit... ;) )

But we had to not only fight past two guys with pads, but also "broadcast" an officer in distress signal!

(And I seem to recall reading about somewhere that actually has recruits do a quick fight, then moves 'em to a range and has them put several shots on target at like 10 yards!)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The thing about pepper spray is that it works best on other cops... and you'll always end up getting sprayed yourself when you use it. If someone's pissed off enough, just plain eats enough hot foods, or not feeling pain... it doesn't work very well. (Though it usually hits them when they calm down a bit... ;)

Amen Brother..The cross contamination is a real pain, and like you posted it doesn't always work..

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No it does not always work and you can resist its effects.
icon6.gif
It is however, just one more tool in the tool box that might help in the right situation.

Cross contamination is a real pain though.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No it does not always work and you can resist its effects.
icon6.gif
It is however, just one more tool in the tool box that might help in the right situation.

Cross contamination is a real pain though.

We just had an arrest a couple of weeks ago and this subject was sprayed because he was resisting arrest ( these officers do not have tasers which would have ended this little comedy fast).I didnt do the spraying but I still caught a good portion of it..It made the subject stop struggling for a few minutes, me I almost hacked up a lung...

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We just had an arrest a couple of weeks ago and this subject was sprayed because he was resisting arrest ( these officers do not have tasers which would have ended this little comedy fast).I didnt do the spraying but I still caught a good portion of it..It made the subject stop struggling for a few minutes, me I almost hacked up a lung...

You know Drac I have been there and had some cross contamination to. Personally I am not a giant advocate of pepper spray other than as one more potential tool to get a job done.
icon6.gif

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been through CS enough. Why would I want to do pepper spray? Come to think of it, why would I want to do CS?

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Cross contamination is something that anyone might face, whether a person is in law enforcement making an arrest with other officers, whether you are in a bar or event and security uses pepper spray on near by trouble makers, whether you leave the high class downtown Seattle clothing store and find the streets taken over by anarchy thugs lighting fires and law enforcement using both CS and pepper sprays/balls to restore order, or you are in some enclosed environment and somebody lets go some pepper spray as a ‘joke’, or you or somebody near you accidentally releases some spray, or somebody left their canister of spray in the sun and it leaks. Whatever the reason there is a chance that you can be exposed to some of the various types of chemical sprays now available to both law enforcement and civilians. Many of the sprays are oil based which means that there is a chance for contamination from touch perhaps days after it was deployed and once on your hands it is very easy to get to your eyes. Recognizing the symptoms of the sprays, the burning in the eyes, the inability to take a breath without constriction and coughing can prevent the panic that many feel and suffer from even with the smallest amount of exposure. Knowing what is going on will allow you to better keep calm even when others around you are panicking.

If you carry pepper spray, if you are an action professional, or you are in the medical field you owe it to yourself to become at the least familiar with the spray and its effects.
One simple way is to simply spray a cloud (I suggest outdoors and be considerate of your neighbors and wind direction) and simply walk thru the cloud with your eyes open and taking a breath. Have water near by (a bucket and a hose). You do not have to get combative just familiar is enough for most. If you are military or law enforcement getting sprayed full in the face, not just a quick shot, and then learning how to continue the fight is highly recommended.

Back in the early 1990’s I did a couple of drills. One is having a partner take a stun gun (they were the all the rag back then) stick it on your back while you emptied one magazine at a target (seven yards away) and then reloaded and got of two or three more shots onto the target. It burned (a lot) and left blisters but was doable. I also have done the same drill after being sprayed with OC again not pleasant but doable. While unpleasant the skills learned have proven to be valuable in various circumstances.

Regards
Brian King

Babook

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Anyone seen "School for scandrals" It's a light humor movie. In that movie one fake cop tries to spray another guy and gets him, himself and his buddy in the elevator. Everyone ended up caughing. That's where I realized that you don't do this in closed spaces.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you carry pepper spray, if you are an action professional, or you are in the medical field you owe it to yourself to become at the least familiar with the spray and its effects.
One simple way is to simply spray a cloud (I suggest outdoors and be considerate of your neighbors and wind direction) and simply walk thru the cloud with your eyes open and taking a breath. Have water near by (a bucket and a hose). You do not have to get combative just familiar is enough for most. If you are military or law enforcement getting sprayed full in the face, not just a quick shot, and then learning how to continue the fight is highly recommended..Regards..Brian King

That's what we had to do to get certified to carry OC..

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's what we had to do to get certified to carry OC..

When I was in California in the early 90s you needed to take a three or so hour course to be allowed to carry pepper spray or similar. I took it at a community college. You got a permit to carry it afterward. At the end they sprayed the spray at a wall then had you walk through the area they had sprayed. It was much less than a direct hit but was still pretty annoying.

Latest Discussions