REAL kNOWLEDGABLE DRUNKEN MASTERS

ilhe4e12345

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok so my one "guilty" obessesion in martial arts is the 8 Drunken Immortals (the legend behind them) and i just love watching drunekn fist or drunken boxing in movies or video. Its just interesting to me and there have been so many board posts about it as to if its "useful" or "viable" in the real fighting world. I personally dont know much about drunken fist, althought i do have a couple books on them and one on the 8 immortals form which is the most interesting thing i have found yet reading wise....

My question is has anybody out there experienced Drunken Fist for themselves? Maybe the drunken forms within your current style of MA? (I know 7 Star Mantis has 1 drunken form i know of so im assuming other styles muight have one. or two in there) Anybody know of a real "drunken master" or a teacher that has some drunken fist background? I would love to pick a teachers brain on it and maybe learn a form or two. It would def be fun to say the least....:)

I am located in North EAstern PA and i am not aware of any "drunken" teachers even remotely close to me.....i know there are other tpoics on this but i havent really found what i was looking for, thought i would throw it out there just to see what you all think or know.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I may be wrong, and if I am I hope someone will correct me, but I don`t think there is actually any style that is entirely a drunken style. Most drunken forms come from larger styles that use their drunken movements as just a small subset of the larger art. They`re generally more advanced forms that use the base techniques and principals of the parent art, but use them from an unusual angle or position. So unless you have a strong foundation in the basics of the parent art the drunken forms wouldn`t have much practical value. It`s like counting 1-2-8-9-11. Unless you already have the basic info from the parent art you can`t make much use of the advanced material that it builds up to. And the "basics" can vary wildly from art to art just because the guiding stratigic principles of two arts might be wildly different. Bagua is different from Preying Mantis, Choy Lay Fut is different from Wing Chun, and they`re all all different from Tong Bei or Baji for example.

OP
I

ilhe4e12345

Green Belt
Reaction score
I may be wrong, and if I am I hope someone will correct me, but I don`t think there is actually any style that is entirely a drunken style. Most drunken forms come from larger styles that use their drunken movements as just a small subset of the larger art. They`re generally more advanced forms that use the base techniques and principals of the parent art, but use them from an unusual angle or position. So unless you have a strong foundation in the basics of the parent art the drunken forms wouldn`t have much practical value. It`s like counting 1-2-8-9-11. Unless you already have the basic info from the parent art you can`t make much use of the advanced material that it builds up to. And the "basics" can vary wildly from art to art just because the guiding stratigic principles of two arts might be wildly different. Bagua is different from Preying Mantis, Choy Lay Fut is different from Wing Chun, and they`re all all different from Tong Bei or Baji for example.

From what i have found so far i dont really see a style around drunken. Anything i have found you are correct, its that its from a parent style. I understand they are different, i was jsut curious if maybe someone else new something i didnt. It was just my guilty pleasure i guess....lol like i said, i just find it very interesting....

Pedantix

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't know to much more than whats already been said or can be found by googling it, but here's a video of someone sparring with a "drunken" style against kyokushinkai karate. its the only one i've ever ran across. you might like it. I think the spectators looks are the best part. :uhyeah:

Last edited by a moderator:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know to much more than whats already been said or can be found by googling it, but here's a video of someone sparring with a "drunken" style against kyokushinkai karate. its the only one i've ever ran across. you might like it. I think the spectators looks are the best part. :uhyeah:

the whole concept is silly and inappropriate. I don't honestly know much about drunken technique, but my grasp of it is that it is largely an unusual and surprising technique, masked by the "drunkenness", but keeping in mind that the guy isn't really drunk. It's a disguise.

Getting into a ring and Pretending to be drunk, in order to do "drunken style" against another fighter, when everyone knows you are not really drunk, undermines the whole concept. It's just another guy who learned some movement but doesn't really understand it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
the whole concept is silly and inappropriate. I don't honestly know much about drunken technique, but my grasp of it is that it is largely an unusual and surprising technique, masked by the "drunkenness", but keeping in mind that the guy isn't really drunk. It's a disguise.

Getting into a ring and Pretending to be drunk, in order to do "drunken style" against another fighter, when everyone knows you are not really drunk, undermines the whole concept. It's just another guy who learned some movement but doesn't really understand it.

It requires a lot of balance and flexibility to do properly. The one person that I knew that did any drunken form also did monkey and he was the most flexible person I ever saw and in sparing he could hit hard from positions that I did not think possible. But his main stuff was monkey, the drunken stuff was all modern wushu, but it was damn cool to watch

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It requires a lot of balance and flexibility to do properly. The one person that I knew that did any drunken form also did monkey and he was the most flexible person I ever saw and in sparing he could hit hard from positions that I did not think possible. But his main stuff was monkey, the drunken stuff was all modern wushu, but it was damn cool to watch

In sparring, did he stagger around and pretend to be drunk?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
In sparring, did he stagger around and pretend to be drunk?

Hell no, he fought with Houquan. Zuiquan was mostly for show. However his flexibility was amazing and I believe that came from Houquan, and of course his family (literally South American Acrobats). But that flexibility made the Zuiquan look really cool. Also I do think that the off balance look of Zuiquan came into play in some of the positions he would be in, that looked really off balance with little or no root...but looks where deceiving.....He was not off balance and had a damn good root...otherwise he could not have kicked or punched that hard from those positions. So if the Zuiquan played any part at all in his fighting I would have to say he used it as deception.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hell no, he fought with Houquan. Zuiquan was mostly for show. However his flexibility was amazing and I believe that came from Houquan, and of course his family (literally South American Acrobats). But that flexibility made the Zuiquan look really cool. Also I do think that the off balance look of Zuiquan came into play in some of the positions he would be in, that looked really off balance with little or no root...but looks where deceiving.....He was not off balance and had a damn good root...otherwise he could not have kicked or punched that hard from those positions. So if the Zuiquan played any part at all in his fighting I would have to say he used it as deception.

yeah, see the way I see it, the drunken could be used for deception, but it needs to be in the proper context. If you realize you are being stalked by some bad guys and you've got nowhere safe to get to, you could pretend to be a bit tipsy and put them off their guard. Then you can hit them with drunken technique, which would work because they do not expect it. But once two (or more) people face off to fight, there's not point in perpetuating the deception. The secret is out.

OP
I

ilhe4e12345

Green Belt
Reaction score
yeah, see the way I see it, the drunken could be used for deception, but it needs to be in the proper context. If you realize you are being stalked by some bad guys and you've got nowhere safe to get to, you could pretend to be a bit tipsy and put them off their guard. Then you can hit them with drunken technique, which would work because they do not expect it. But once two (or more) people face off to fight, there's not point in perpetuating the deception. The secret is out.

I think its more of a "surprise" technique rather than a full fighting style. I personally am obsessed with it (it just looks so awesome) and i know that when you go up against a professional or knowledgable fighter and you start stumbling around they will figure it out...I wouldnt mind "learning" some of the drunken techniques within my own style (7 Star Mantis) for just such the rare occasion where i need to look drunk to the untrained eye.....lol :)

happy training :)

Latest Discussions