Drunken Fist Questions/Help

ilhe4e12345

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone, i am not sure if this is the right area for this or not but i wanted to throw this out there. I am looking for information about Drunken Fist or Zui Quan. Anybody out tehre take it? I have been reading about it for awhile and it has always interested me but i wanted to know more about it. I know there are other arts with drunken forms in it, as a matter of fact i believe there is a drunken form found within 7 Star Mantis which is what i am currently taking and have been for close to 3 years now. The footwork, movements and flexibility of Zui Quan is just...well to be honest...amazing. Its so fluid, so strong and so unpredictable! i love it! Any info you might have on it or another style that contains drunken forms would be greatly appreciated :)

Anyways my area doesnt have any Drunken certified teachers (atleast that i could find). I am currently located in the United States in Pennsylvania the Scranton area. If any of you know of a teacher or school close to me that would be great i would like to further this and possibly look into sitting in on some classes.

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
[yt]Opy6eg9T4cQ[/yt]

Master Zhao ChangJun is in Moorestown NJ, which is a little over 2 hours away from you. A couple private classes a month for a few months would be solid. He is a great guy and a wonderful coach.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[yt]Opy6eg9T4cQ[/yt]

Master Zhao ChangJun is in Moorestown NJ, which is a little over 2 hours away from you. A couple private classes a month for a few months would be solid. He is a great guy and a wonderful coach.

Met Master Zhao in Xian back in 2001. Great host & solid skills.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello everyone, i am not sure if this is the right area for this or not but i wanted to throw this out there. I am looking for information about Drunken Fist or Zui Quan. Anybody out tehre take it? I have been reading about it for awhile and it has always interested me but i wanted to know more about it. I know there are other arts with drunken forms in it, as a matter of fact i believe there is a drunken form found within 7 Star Mantis which is what i am currently taking and have been for close to 3 years now. The footwork, movements and flexibility of Zui Quan is just...well to be honest...amazing. Its so fluid, so strong and so unpredictable! i love it! Any info you might have on it or another style that contains drunken forms would be greatly appreciated :)

Anyways my area doesnt have any Drunken certified teachers (atleast that i could find). I am currently located in the United States in Pennsylvania the Scranton area. If any of you know of a teacher or school close to me that would be great i would like to further this and possibly look into sitting in on some classes.

There's been several discussions of this topic here already. Search around a bit.

OP
I

ilhe4e12345

Green Belt
Reaction score
After reading what you guys have told me and after poking around through old posts, i sent an email to Master Zhao ChangJun at his school located in New Jersey. hopefully me and him will be able to work something out, as i have really been bitten by the "drunken bug" and want to learn more. anything else you guys might recommend i would greatly appreciate it :D or any other schools/teachers close to Scranton PA (max 2 hours out or so)

love these forums by the way, so many good and knowledgable people!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't kow anything about Sifu Zhao. What is the focus of his teaching? Is he teaching a traditional system, or Modern Wushu?

If he is teaching something traditional, then I suspect the drunken would be a component of that system. He may take you as a student, but you may need to train the full system and would not learn any drunken material until he feels you are ready. That might be years. Just wanted to prepare you for the possibility.

If he is teaching Modern Wushu, then the drunken material would be of the Modern Wushu variety, which means it's meant more for competition and performance and not really for real fighting. Just wanted to also prepare you for that possibility.

I'm at work right now and am unable to view videos, so I cannot view the one posted above.

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't kow anything about Sifu Zhao. What is the focus of his teaching? Is he teaching a traditional system, or Modern Wushu?

If he is teaching something traditional, then I suspect the drunken would be a component of that system. He may take you as a student, but you may need to train the full system and would not learn any drunken material until he feels you are ready. That might be years. Just wanted to prepare you for the possibility.

If he is teaching Modern Wushu, then the drunken material would be of the Modern Wushu variety, which means it's meant more for competition and performance and not really for real fighting. Just wanted to also prepare you for that possibility.

I'm at work right now and am unable to view videos, so I cannot view the one posted above.

He is a modern wushu guy. But modern wushu guys from the 70's are not the same as modern wushu guys nowadays. However, his drunken style is not an 'entire system' or part of another 'system' like Choy Li Fut or anything. I would imagine his drunken style is geared more for performance, but you never know. He IS traditionally trained. You'd have to ask him.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He is a modern wushu guy. But modern wushu guys from the 70's are not the same as modern wushu guys nowadays. However, his drunken style is not an 'entire system' or part of another 'system' like Choy Li Fut or anything. I would imagine his drunken style is geared more for performance, but you never know. He IS traditionally trained. You'd have to ask him.

He has that old school gen1 or gen2 PRC wushu that is actually pretty formidable behind him. Also his main teacher was a Long fist guy when he was younger. I saw his teacher do the Xingyi Linkage in Xian & was just befuddled & amazed at watching that old man move. Blew me away.

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why is it when I see these 'Shaolin Monks' doing modern wushu routines, they're always extremely exaggerated? Their movements are odd and don't look right. Drunken, mantis, whatever.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why is it when I see these 'Shaolin Monks' doing modern wushu routines, they're always extremely exaggerated? Their movements are odd and don't look right. Drunken, mantis, whatever.

Take a look at a piece of your question... all the answers are right there...

'Shaolin Monks' doing modern wushu routines

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Being serious for a moment

A side effect of my starting CMA training was I stopped drinking. I did not intend to nor did I feel it was necessary…it just stopped. Of course it could have been my age and it was time to stop too.

Or it could just be I was afraid of hearing “You have offended my family and you have offended the Shaolin Temple” in a dark alley one night :uhyeah:

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
being serious for a moment

a side effect of my starting cma training was i stopped drinking. I did not intend to nor did i feel it was necessary…it just stopped. Of course it could have been my age and it was time to stop too.

Or it could just be i was afraid of hearing “you have offended my family and you have offended the shaolin temple” in a dark alley one night :uhyeah:

bastard!!!!!!