Random Bunkai Jutsu Thread

sabom_1

White Belt
Reaction score
Exile,

For the opening move for Pyong Ahn Ee Dan, how about (not sure if this is out there anywhere), stepping with the left foot and using the right arm (usually shown as a high defense) to draw the attackers arm across and to the inside while simultanously delivering a hook punch to the jaw with the left hand (this is usually the hand shown for the blocking defense). Place the left hand on the opponents shoulder and follow with an upper cut to the ribs as per the hyung.

Looking at the hyung as a whole and following with the fighting style contained in the kata (hyung), a right leg side kick to the opponents knee is a nice finishing move.

sabom_1
www.southhillskarate.com

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Except for a few minor details, it's exactly like what we call chinto/chinte (naming differences will never go away).

Good stuff on bassai/palche deh, upnorthkyosa. The other version I've heard of that, probably less effective, is that you're turning and sweeping someone behind you before smacking them while on the ground. Either way, that particular form is full of a lot of good stuff.

Chinte is a completely different form. It, along with Bassai Dai, is a brown to black kata.

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
Chinte is a completely different form. It, along with Bassai Dai, is a brown to black kata.

If you mean chinte is different from palche/bassai deh, yeah. But what we call chinte/jinte is what most of you call jindo, apparently. I've given up on some name discrepancies at this point.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's pretty interesting that you guys call Jindo/Gankaku Jinte when there korean schools that do "Chinte" (the shotokan version follows)

Chinte:

Jindo/Chinto:
http://youtube.com/results?search_query=Chinto&search=Search

Yes it is. Interestingly enough, we used to call it Jindo, years before I started learning the form. No clue why they changed it, especially because, as you point out, chinte for other styles is a completely different form. But a hyung by any other name...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In Chinto, there is a move where you turn 180 degrees in crane stance right after bringing both hands up and over the head in a folding motion. This move is catching a downward strike, throwing a knee to the ribs and then turning the arm elbow up to be caught in the armpit for an armbar/break.

I wanted to revive this thread because there is a lot of good stuff here...

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey guys—don't want to go off topic too much, am still trying to put together this comparison of alternative bunkai for the first movement sequence of Pyung Ahn Ee Dan (= Pinan Shodan = Heian Nidan; also first sequence of Palgwe Sa Jang)... but meanwhile, terrific job on your new forum description. Only just saw it and really like it!

I'm holding you to this, Exile. You will expose the 4th Jang! Do not forget this promise!

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
In Chinto, there is a move where you turn 180 degrees in crane stance right after bringing both hands up and over the head in a folding motion. This move is catching a downward strike, throwing a knee to the ribs and then turning the arm elbow up to be caught in the armpit for an armbar/break.

I wanted to revive this thread because there is a lot of good stuff here...

That's one of my favorite parts of the form, if only because it's so hard for me to manage on my flat feet which by that time are just barely managing to bear my weight. But when my sa bom nim told me about the application, which you've just reiterated here, it made it a bit easier to handle, since I knew what I was doing. The knee is new to me, though. Makes sense. Cool stuff.

Tang Soo!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've heard it said that chinto contains a good portion of the aikido curriculum combined with strikes. I wish I knew more aikijutsu. My teacher learned some takeda ryu from a very senior sensei who happened to live in the area, so that is where some of this stuff is coming from.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was working pyung ahn o dan this morning and it occured to me that foot stepping and cross legged stance right before the jump was very reminiscent of hani goshi - spring hip throw. Thus, the jump itself becomes several things. It can be jumping on a downed opponent, choking him out, and most curiously, a classic judo armbar. Ee gads, there is so much in these pyung ahn forms. I could study these and these alone for years before I could ever say that I had real indepth knowledge of them.

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was working pyung ahn o dan this morning and it occured to me that foot stepping and cross legged stance right before the jump was very reminiscent of hani goshi - spring hip throw. Thus, the jump itself becomes several things. It can be jumping on a downed opponent, choking him out, and most curiously, a classic judo armbar. Ee gads, there is so much in these pyung ahn forms. I could study these and these alone for years before I could ever say that I had real indepth knowledge of them.
No doubt. Cool stuff.