Rampage arrested after car chase

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That he would do something like this completely sober is a positive side? :eek:
Nothing positive with regards to why he would do something like this to begin with, but often times when something like this does happen the driver is usually under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and there was no mention of this in the article....and to be released on a $25,000 bond suggest that perhaps the injuries were not major injuries, unless the $25,000 is 10% of the original bond amount ;)

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's up to Dana more then anything.

I doubt it will do much in terms of his ability to draw in fans, but Dana could easily drop his contract or have him fighting off the main event for a while, just keeping him on contract so that one of the other promotions doesn't grab him.

If he was a lower profile fighter, I'd say he'd probably be gone. Dana is a business man trying to make the sport legitimate in the eyes of the folks that want it banned, something like this isn't good for that agenda. But then again neither is having a former UFC champ with huge fan appeal fighting for your competition.

Very true I know there are some people that believe that Dana really doesnt want him in the UFC and would much rather have Forest Griffin and Chuck Liddel be the face of the UFC because they are easier to promote according to some of the other boards I have seen

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nothing positive with regards to why he would do something like this to begin with, but often times when something like this does happen the driver is usually under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and there was no mention of this in the article....and to be released on a $25,000 bond suggest that perhaps the injuries were not major injuries, unless the $25,000 is 10% of the original bond amount ;)

So far there are no reports of any injuries

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If he was a lower profile fighter, I'd say he'd probably be gone. Dana is a business man trying to make the sport legitimate in the eyes of the folks that want it banned, something like this isn't good for that agenda. But then again neither is having a former UFC champ with huge fan appeal fighting for your competition.

Things like this are not good for sports leagues...just ask the NFL and the NBA, they've got their set of problems too. And the fact that this particular sport is thought of as "human cock fighting" by many people means they already have to deal with people thinking the league's full of a bunch of thugs.

BTW I'm not sure Chuck Liddell is any easier to promote than Rampage.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Things like this are not good for sports leagues...just ask the NFL and the NBA, they've got their set of problems too. And the fact that this particular sport is thought of as "human cock fighting" by many people means they already have to deal with people thinking the league's full of a bunch of thugs.

BTW I'm not sure Chuck Liddell is any easier to promote than Rampage.

He appears a little "scary" but when he interviews he does interview well. His background is division 1 wrestling and a business / accounting degree. Rampage's old Rap recordings aren't something I imagine Dana would want getting to public.

But there is a very clear difference in how they interview that I think makes Rampage a little less of a candidate for the "face of MMA" that the UFC would want to be pushing.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If he wasn't intoxicated, and no one was injured, then it's a simpler issue. Jackson hit a car, and thought he could get away with it. Kind of like pulling a U-turn in a "no u-turn" zone.

That's what I would spin.

If Dana White allows for it, a press conference and a "I'm REALLY sorry *grin* *grin*" would go a long way, in conjunction with paying for damages. Maybe some community service concerning disadvantaged youths (publicized, of course)

There are definitely worse situations than this. I doubt it would affect his career.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Time will tell what happens to his career. As of this moment, he's a liability to the UFC. In a week, that might change.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyone wonder if he's bipolar and had an episode? He's not a drug user, nor a heavy drinker, wasn't intoxicated (at least from what the reports have shown), and it's been stated by many people who know him that this was very 'out of character' for him.
That combined with the depression he's known to get in from losses.. I'm betting he's bipolar and got off balance. Bi-polarism can cause completely non-normal actions from seemingly normal people, a chemical imbalance in the brain.

Now I don't know if he is, but it certainly falls in line with my own personal experiences with bipolarism (close friend).

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As of this moment, he's a liability to the UFC. In a week, that might change.

But would having another promotion sign him be a bigger liability?

I really doubt Dana is going to drop his contract, having him fighting for the competition would not be in the UFC's best interest.

Giving him a bad match up on short notice, then dropping him if he loses... maybe.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But would having another promotion sign him be a bigger liability?

I really doubt Dana is going to drop his contract, having him fighting for the competition would not be in the UFC's best interest.

Giving him a bad match up on short notice, then dropping him if he loses... maybe.

You might be right.

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Arrested again? OK, that's gotta hurt.

ya think?

I was thinking that maybe white would want him to stay rather than him getting signed by say, affliction?

But with a second arrest in just a couple of days I'm sure white has to be weighing the pros and cons now...

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sherdog said that they took him in Wed for medical observations, apparantly they were afraid he was mentally unstable.

They also reported that a pregnant woman was hospitalized after being sideswiped in the chase. So it's possible someone was actually hurt.

Latest Discussions