Quotes & context

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
um...doc?

speaking of context...

I have no idea what this new thread about context is in reference to. Could you elaborate please?

respectfully,

Nightingale:asian:

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472

um...doc?

speaking of context...

I have no idea what this new thread about context is in reference to. Could you elaborate please?

respectfully,

Well, there is a tendancy to paraphrase and twist what I say, and when I quote others, it is said I take things out of context. This link is to a candid article written by Mr. Lee Wedlake for Black Belt magazine. Read it in it's entirety. It makes some interesting general comments about people in kenpo including some things Mr. Parker discussed with him. Nothing bad or negative, just comments on the state Of Kenpo today.

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by nightingale8472

um...doc?

speaking of context...

respectfully,

Read the article a bit more indepth Kris and you'll see alot of inconsistencies in their statements such as; Frank Trejo is based out of Santiago, Chile LOL, or Joe Alanzo instead of Palanzo. They can't even get that straight.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo

Read the article a bit more indepth Kris and you'll see alot of inconsistencies in their statements such as; Frank Trejo is based out of Santiago, Chile LOL, or Joe Alanzo instead of Palanzo. They can't even get that straight.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

It looks like some names with a "P" in them were missing the "P". Like "P"aul Dyes and "P"aul Mills...etc. Just some names in a couple of different places. Sounds like that editor needed more Ca"p""p"uccino that morning.

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by jeffkyle

It looks like some names with a "P" in them were missing the "P". Like "P"aul Dyes and "P"aul Mills...etc. Just some names in a couple of different places. Sounds like that editor needed more Ca"p""p"uccino that morning.

Yes sir that is the case. These are mistakes, typos or simply unintended errors if you will. Just as they confused the translation from the original manuscript when they condensed it and placed Frank Trejo in Chile instead of a dominating figure visiting Chile. A simple error from someone who obviously didn't know Frank is in Pasadena and has been for many years.

The only "inconsistency" in the original article has me listed as a 9th degree within the body of the story, but pictured and captioned as a 10th. (not important).

It is important however that I state that although Mr. Wedlake used the term "SubLevel Four" in the story, he is referring to "SL-4 information" he discussed the existence of in Kenpo with Mr. Parker. When we had a conversation about it at a camp in '97 in Baltimore, I supplied the name for that information. He is not implying that Ed Parker used that specific term. He did however tell me that in that discussion Mr. Parker had said to him, "Keep it (the exsistence) to yourself." as he had also told me as well when he was alive.

Mr. Wedlake is a credible and honorable man who would not make the statement had Ed Parker not confirmed the existence of the information to him. He attributes me as the "expert" because I am the only one who has publicly promoted a non-motion based methodology that contains the information they discussed. This in no way is meant to imply I am the only one with that information, however I have exclusivity of the "SubLevel Four methodology" of the excution of certain information developed by me.

Although some have twisted my words, I do not nor have I ever claimed to know "secret" information from Ed Parker that was given only to me. I do not know personally who or what specifically he taught over the years to everyone or what terms he may have used with those people. ANYONE who makes such a claim cannot be taken seriously. I can say however I have never been contacted or found over the years in seminars and camps anyone who shared a similar understanding from their teaching or their teachers understanding with Mr. Parker. That still does not mean I am the only one Ed Parker taught. Mr. Parker taught many for their own personal use who didn't teach or have schools. Only they would know, and NO ONE else.

It is clear that Ed Parker promoted different methodologies of Kenpo over the years with different people. The validity and worth of these, including the newest, and most popular motion-based, is predicated on the quality of the instruction and the student. Everything begins with knowledgeable and quality instruction. Absent that, it doesn't matter what you teach or what you call it. Original, Roast, Baked or Extra Crispy. It's all chicken and everything else comes down to personal preferences.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

As far as I know all those articles ahve been brought onto the web using OCR (Optical Character Recognition).

This is where you put a page of text in a scanner, and it scans the image and turns it into editable text.

This is not a perfect system, especially on lower quality scanners and requires a degree of proof reading.

Judging by the amount of stuff in that archive, I doubt they had time to proof read it that thoroughly, which would account for the spelling mistakes and repeated errors on particular letters.

Ian.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
It seems to me that a great deal of Mr. Parker’s genius lay along four different veins:
1. A creator and innovator.
2. Logical systemization and organization.
3. A master student of EVERYONE. (he learned from everyone)
4. An insightful powder keg!!!

Let me explain the last one.

Seems to me that, as others have said, Mr. Parker could really read a person and preferred to work with each persons strengths. If you look at what different people emphasize or are ‘known for’, then you will see Mr. Parker’s influence in it.
FOR INSTANCE:

You, Mr. Chapel, were in law enforcement. Your skills needed to be based on gaining control of a person without doing any real damage (the kind that get badges taken away), yet affords the greatest amount of safety to the one applying it. Thus it would be logical that your training would need to center around the use of close contact grappling, or what you call control manipulation. It would also make use of those parts of a persons anatomy that would render a sure and quick result without pain (for a cop, pain compliance can go too far …easily, and be seen as abusive)… thus the exploration of nerves. Makes sense.
But really, your knowledge is not limited to this… but it was in your best interest for you to emphasize these points.

Mr. Trejo was a masterful ring fighter! His knowledge of sport karate tactics and training is deep as I understand it. BUT again, his knowledge/skill is by no means limited to this. But it was his passion and gift and Mr. Parker used it.

Mr. Mills was a bouncer for years in some pretty rough places. He applied the art his instructor shared with him time and again, finding what did and didn’t work… or what worked, but what worked better. He gained a great deal of insight, with the help of his instructor Mr. Parker, into the ‘whys’ of Kenpo and began to formulate ideas to improve effectiveness in Kenpo and Kenpoists. Mr. Mill’s other gift is also a natural physical and mental speed/power. Mr. Parker saw this in him and helped him develop this trait within himself and within his innovative ideas. By no means are these his only excellent traits, nor is his knowledge/skill limited to them, but it is what he is known for. Makes sense.

Look at Mr. Pick. His gift/passion seems to be along the lines of knife work. Thus, it’s what he is known for and what his instructor worked with him on.

Look at Mr. Hancock. A scholar, so Mr. Parker put his skills and abilities to good use.

The list goes on, to all that Mr. Parker had an effect on. That effect even extends beyond Kenpo too.

My point: I agree, Kenpo was taught differently to different people… based on strengths and needs. He had insight into each person, found their particular flame… and was the powder keg to make that flame a BLAZE.
Those are reasons we still love him, miss him and revere him. He brought the best out and amplified it!

That’s how I see it.
But I wasn’t there.
;)
Your Brother
John

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brother John

It seems to me that a great deal of Mr. Parker’s genius lay along four different veins:

Seems to me that, as others have said, Mr. Parker could really read a person and preferred to work with each persons strengths. If you look at what different people emphasize or are ‘known for’, then you will see Mr. Parker’s influence in it.
FOR INSTANCE:

You, Mr. Chapel, were in law enforcement. Your skills needed to be based on gaining control of a person without doing any real damage (the kind that get badges taken away), yet affords the greatest amount of safety to the one applying it. Thus it would be logical that your training would need to center around the use of close contact grappling, or what you call control manipulation. It would also make use of those parts of a persons anatomy that would render a sure and quick result without pain (for a cop, pain compliance can go too far …easily, and be seen as abusive)… thus the exploration of nerves. Makes sense.
But really, your knowledge is not limited to this… but it was in your best interest for you to emphasize these points.

Mr. Trejo was a masterful ring fighter! His knowledge of sport karate tactics and training is deep as I understand it. BUT again, his knowledge/skill is by no means limited to this. But it was his passion and gift and Mr. Parker used it.

Mr. Mills was a bouncer for years in some pretty rough places. He applied the art his instructor shared with him time and again, finding what did and didn’t work… or what worked, but what worked better. He gained a great deal of insight, with the help of his instructor Mr. Parker, into the ‘whys’ of Kenpo and began to formulate ideas to improve effectiveness in Kenpo and Kenpoists. Mr. Mill’s other gift is also a natural physical and mental speed/power. Mr. Parker saw this in him and helped him develop this trait within himself and within his innovative ideas. By no means are these his only excellent traits, nor is his knowledge/skill limited to them, but it is what he is known for. Makes sense.

Look at Mr. Pick. His gift/passion seems to be along the lines of knife work. Thus, it’s what he is known for and what his instructor worked with him on.

Look at Mr. Hancock. A scholar, so Mr. Parker put his skills and abilities to good use.

The list goes on, to all that Mr. Parker had an effect on. That effect even extends beyond Kenpo too.

My point: I agree, Kenpo was taught differently to different people… based on strengths and needs. He had insight into each person, found their particular flame… and was the powder keg to make that flame a BLAZE.
Those are reasons we still love him, miss him and revere him. He brought the best out and amplified it!

That’s how I see it.
But I wasn’t there.
;)
Your Brother
John

You shoudda been, you would have had a "ball." For me it was, and is still a "blast." Imagine Ed Parker living 20 minutes from you. Imagine him coming to see you and "hangin' out" with your students. The last movie we saw together was the first "Darkman" movie. He declared his favorite football play of all time as we watched the Orange Bowl game together. It was called the "fumblerooskie." Imagine him whipping up a dish in the kitchen (he was the best cook in the family) and never being disappointed at how good it was. Imagine coming home from work and finding Ed Parker asleep in your easy chair. He was a best friend, a big brother, and a father to me all rolled into one. Everything I am and do I owe to him. He challenged me physically and intellectually like no one else. We laughed, cried, had fights and got mad at each other, and shared (non martial arts) secrets. He loved "sweet potato pie" and Chinese food. In fact when we went to Hawaii when we got off the plane we went straight to his favorite chinese restaurant. The man was serious :) about food, and I loved him.

M

meni

FOR INSTANCE:

That’s how I see it.
But I wasn’t there.
;)
Your Brother
John

well said

B

brianhunter

FOR INSTANCE:

That’s how I see it.
But I wasn’t there.
;)
Your Brother
John

Well now say it without pizza in your mouth ;)
Nice meeting you today John. Hope we can get something worked out to do it again!

J

jeffkyle

FOR INSTANCE:

That’s how I see it.
But I wasn’t there.
;)
Your Brother
John

Excellent post Brother! Very very well said!

Wes Idol

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc

Out of context? You decide. Read the whole thing.
<http://w3.blackbeltmag.com/featurecontent/view.asp?article=176>

Offering some flat logic.

Not withstanding the many typos (easy to argue as editing mistakes), but to claim Frank Trejo resides in Santiago really cracks at the core of validity to some of the other points in the article.

In article, LW III writes...

"Modern kenpo students also have access to what Parker called “sub-level four ” (nerve striking) and destructive sequencing. The foremost exponent of this aspect of the art is Ron Chapel, a longtime Parker student."

Now

A. No other person close to Parker (outside Chapel) has ever claimed Parker using terms such as "sub-level four (nerve striking) and destructive sequencing".

B. Chapel was not included in "The Journey" (although all promotional posters printed, before investigations took place, included his name) due to his and everyone else's inability to prove Chapel ever really studied directly under Parker as some private student.

So logically, I find it very hard to swallow some of what Wedlake's article reads regarding Chapel and SL4.

Ron Chapel, why not discontinue trying to prove yourself as something other than what you are, and just share what you love? People may forget what you do or say, but they will never forget how you made them feel. You are very good at making people feel welcomed and supported. Your Kenpo has inspired some students (new and old to American Kenpo). If you continue to push this arguement of yours, soon people might more just remember how untrue it feels.

I am familiar with your strengths and I support them...for whatever that is worth.

Respectfully,

WI, HI
UKS
http://www.uks-kenpo.com

M

Mikey

All

I am simply beginning in American Kenpo, 7 months, but all this BS with Dr. Chapel is getting on my nerves.
For instance, the previous post about Dr Chapel not being in "The Journey" does not discredit Dr. Chapel at all.....Sibok Tom Kelly is not in it either, does this discredit him.......Don't think so!
I don't think the post was really hard hitting against Dr. Chapel, but I had to post this.
Please, don't take anything personal.

Respectfully.

M.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sooo ... Just to stir the pot and hit some simple high points ...

if someone else's logic does not agree with yours and their truth is not your truth, then simply put ... They are wrong? Interesting concept ... I suspect Mr. Wedlake might question the validity of that concept. And we beat on the editing of an article that was, obviously, badly edited to further the cause? Al Tracy was not in the Journey, and he was a valid student of Ed Parker. I suspect a number of others were not there for various reasons.

The proponents of the get Doc Chapél group seem to be a very vocal minority. I really do like you guys, but this really, really is getting tiresome. It does no one honor, it lends no credibility to either yourselves or Doc Chapél. In some ways it does tend to extend one's incredulity to exactly what point you guys are trying to prove, or more to the point... What changes are you trying to effect?

It appears that you are tryiing to simply get one person, Doc Chapél, to conform to your reality or paradigm. A reality that is so blocked in and rigid, that other Kenpo seniors have no say that would matter, if it does not conform to your model ... Does this really sound reasonable?

I left Kenponet because this kind of posting became the norm... It is unfortunate that it has to continue here ... on and on and on. Seems to ultimately be an effort in futility...

Standing on the beach and declaring the tide null and void, simply does not nullify or void the tide...

Just some thoughts.

Dan Farmer

W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by Doc

It is important however that I state that although Mr. Wedlake used the term "SubLevel Four" in the story, he is referring to "SL-4 information" he discussed the existence of in Kenpo with Mr. Parker. When we had a conversation about it at a camp in '97 in Baltimore, I supplied the name for that information. He is not implying that Ed Parker used that specific term. He did however tell me that in that discussion Mr. Parker had said to him, "Keep it (the exsistence) to yourself." as he had also told me as well when he was alive.

So if I am interpreting this correctly… Mr. Parker shared this information with both you and Mr. Wedlake, and asked you to “keep it to yourself”. Doesn’t that constitute a secret? If Mr. Parker did indeed share this information with you, logically I would have to ask weather or not you agreed to “keep it to yourself” when he told you to do that.

Originally from The American Heritage Dictionary of The English Language

secret (sê´krît) adjective
1.Kept hidden from knowledge or view; concealed.
2.Dependably discreet.
3.Operating in a hidden or confidential manner: a secret agent.
4.Not expressed; inward: their secret thoughts.
5.Not frequented; secluded: wandered about the secret byways of Paris.
6.Known or shared only by the initiated: secret rites.
7.Beyond ordinary understanding; mysterious.
8.Containing information, the unauthorized disclosure of which poses a grave threat to national security.

noun
1.Something kept hidden from others or known only to oneself or to a few.
2.Something that remains beyond understanding or explanation; a mystery.
3.A method or formula on which success is based: The secret of this dish is in the sauce.
4. Secret. A variable prayer said after the Offertory and before the Preface in the Mass.

[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin sêcrêtus, from past participle of sêcernere, to set aside : sê-, apart + cernere, to separate.]

Excerpted from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition © 1996 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Originally posted by Doc

Mr. Wedlake is a credible and honorable man who would not make the statement had Ed Parker not confirmed the existence of the information to him. He attributes me as the "expert" because I am the only one who has publicly promoted a non-motion based methodology that contains the information they discussed. This in no way is meant to imply I am the only one with that information, however I have exclusivity of the "SubLevel Four methodology" of the excution of certain information developed by me.

How do you know what everybody else knows? Did Mr. Parker tell you who he was sharing the non-motion based methodology with and who he was sharing the motion based methodology with?

You state that you are not the only one with knowledge of the non-motion based methodology, who else has knowledge of this system?

You state that you have exclusivity of the sub-level four methodology, and that certain information in it was developed by you. How much of it was developed by you?

Originally posted by Doc

Although some have twisted my words, I do not nor have I ever claimed to know "secret" information from Ed Parker that was given only to me. I do not know personally who or what specifically he taught over the years to everyone or what terms he may have used with those people. ANYONE who makes such a claim cannot be taken seriously. I can say however I have never been contacted or found over the years in seminars and camps anyone who shared a similar understanding from their teaching or their teachers understanding with Mr. Parker. That still does not mean I am the only one Ed Parker taught. Mr. Parker taught many for their own personal use who didn't teach or have schools. Only they would know, and NO ONE else.

I am not saying that you’re the only one privileged enough to know this secret methodology of Kenpo, what I’m questioning is the source of the information itself. How much of it did you develop and how much did Mr. Parker develop?

Originally posted by Doc

It is clear that Ed Parker promoted different methodologies of Kenpo over the years with different people. The validity and worth of these, including the newest, and most popular motion-based, is predicated on the quality of the instruction and the student. Everything begins with knowledgeable and quality instruction. Absent that, it doesn't matter what you teach or what you call it. Original, Roast, Baked or Extra Crispy. It's all chicken and everything else comes down to personal preferences.

Your analogy of roast, baked, or crispy chicken doesn’t hold up… because it seems that what you’re really giving us is bull and you’re calling it chicken.

Mr. Chapél,

Time and time again you sign your posts with the name Doctor Chapél, Dr. Chapél, or Doc, but your claim that you actually have a doctorate remains unsubstantiated. I browsed your web site and it said that you hold a doctorate from San Marin University. That is interesting because I have researched the existence of such a University and it does not exist (although there is a San Marin High School). I have also investigated extensively to see if you had actually completed a dissertation or quals for a doctorate at any accredited University. This search has yielded negative results as well. Is there even such a place as San Marin University, and if so where is it?

Why did you remove the information about your Doctorate from your website if it really exists? Do you have a diploma from any college? Scan it and post it, many people would like to see it.

Mikey,

Mr. Chapél was not in The Journey because he couldn’t substantiate his claims. Mr. Kelly decided that he didn’t want to be in the book, at least that was my understanding. I was in Ed Parker Jr.’s office when the decision to exclude Mr. Chapél was made.

Mr. Farmer,

Mr. Tracy did not want to be included in The Journey. At least that was what Ed Parker Jr. told me.

Mr. Chapél can do Kenpo any way he wants, the material that he teaches is definitely interesting and worth investigating. My problem with him revolves around his unsubstantiated claims and unsupported public statements, not the effectiveness of his material.

Sure Mr. Chapél was a student of Ed Parker’s Kenpo… that is evident. Yes, Mr. Chapél was a personal friend of Mr. Parker’s for many years… I don’t doubt it. But, did Mr. Parker teach Mr. Chapél a secret Kenpo methodology, that only a few were privileged enough to witness? Did Mr. Parker ever coin the phrase “Motion Kenpo”? Did Mr. Chapél ever seriously train and where? Are there any witnesses to attest to Mr. Chapél’s claims? Where is the documentation to support his credentials?

Sincerely,
Billy Lear

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Excellent post Brother! Very very well said!

Amen. Somewhere out there is a nail with a splitting headache because Brother John hit is right on the head! Well done.

R

roryneil

I started Kenpo after Mr. Parker's death, and I don't know Mr. Chapel, so I don't know what the big hub-bub is. I do know I read an interview with Mr. Parker Jr. where he referred to sub-level 4.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments guys.
They mean all the more coming from an intelligent group like yourselves.
And what did that nail do to him?

It looked at me funny....
:rolleyes:
Your Brother
John

Attachments

• $lochness_monster_saying_hi_md_wht.gif
    $lochness_monster_saying_hi_md_wht.gif
    16.1 KB · Views: 131

Latest Discussions