Quitting the gym

Calhoun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hope this is not a duplicate post.
I may just quit my gym membership.
Beside the pool & jacuzzi I can get in just as good of shape right in my school.
Also, will save $36 a month
I hardly go and go to class 4 nights a week.
Also, from reading Solo Training I really don't need alot of equipment.
Anyone else quit a gym membership after starting classes?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glad you are saving $$. Keep the $36/mo and you can afford a jacuzzi!

Miles

(just got my wife a jacuzzi for Mother's Day....now I have to figure out how to get her out of there, she's turning into a prune!)
:)

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've always had a gym membership along with my Martial Arts training and will never give up either. My gym (Ballys) has everything I need and it's nice to get into that atmosphere 2-3 times a week. But I only spend $8 a month on my membership.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I too have a gym membership (Gold's Gym) that I use in addition to training at my dojang. For me it works out pretty well and I think I'll keep it for a while. I like having the option of going in to pump iron and doing some cardio work before or after getting in my TKD training.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I started using the gym more after starting TKD, before I started I used to pop in and have a quick swim, maybe do some weights once a week and sit in the jacuzzi. Now I'll go in 4 times a week, twice to do cardio and twice to do weights, and also train twice a week. When I work out in the gym I'm doing stuff that's helping towards my training also, like bag work.

I do agree though that TKD does give you a great workout though, and if you aren't getting the same quality of workout in the gym... why be there? Just do more TKD!

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hope this is not a duplicate post.
I may just quit my gym membership.
Beside the pool & jacuzzi I can get in just as good of shape right in my school.
Also, will save $36 a month
I hardly go and go to class 4 nights a week.
Also, from reading Solo Training I really don't need alot of equipment.
Anyone else quit a gym membership after starting classes?

A gym offers a different approach to physical training. It has trained staff on hand to formulate an exercise plan directly for your needs, and the equipment to make the best use of it.

I don't know about your TKD school, but I can't bench 200lbs or spend half an hour working on my back at mine.

OP
C

Calhoun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, I went last night and have to admit I had second thoughts of quitting, however I asked to talk to someone there about cancelling membership and they gave me a card with 800#.
I figured they would set me down and try to talk me out of it..haha
So, I think I will try to get a lower rate. if not I will just put together mine own equipment at home..I have realized I really don't need that much stuff.
I would stay for $20 a month..
I go to class every night rest of tis week.
Thanks for all replies...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you can get what you need (training-wise) apart from the gym, I'd do that. You'd save $$, too. But, if you utilize your gym, it might be worth the money. All I've ever needed in a gym was a treadmill & space to stretch. I've never found them helpful for me.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi Calhoun,

When I was preparing for my 1st Dan test last year I got a gym membership because it was 2 blocks from where I work, so I could zip over on my lunch break and get a good 30 minutes in on the elliptical. i can't run on treadmills or on the sidewalks etc. because of it hurts my knees. The elliptical was awesome for building my cardio. now I am going to rejoin the gym to help in rehabing my knee from my latest ACL surgery. I would love to go to both my TKD gym and the regular gym all the time, but it is just too much $$$!

OP
C

Calhoun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, just to follow up.
I decide to change my membership from 36 to 26 a month with restricted access to only Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun.
Decided I liked being there when I do go and saving $10.
Will keep this up till I get a little more home equipment built-up.
Thanks all..
Seems my body fat has went from 31% to 28% since Jan. not much but hey, it could have very well went up inside of down! ha ha

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seems my body fat has went from 31% to 28% since Jan. not much but hey, it could have very well went up inside of down! ha ha

Great job! All too often people focus on losing weight, when really it is body composition that is important.

Keep up the good work, and I hope you continue to see such significant results!