dont buy the official taekwondo training manual

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/Official-Taek...3445702?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179198129&sr=8-1

Bad stances, the authors demo high punches and kicks when the text often calls for middle kicks, and even the wrong foot forward once, get richard chun for good taekwondo, i cant believe the wtf stamped its approval on this....seriously a middle punch is not above the nose =\ nor is a middle front kick above the head

plus, for this to be a training manual, very little goes in the way of basics, maybe 3-4 pages.....anyway i would get richard chuns taekwondo and advancing in taekwondo rather than this

anyone else know of good poomse books(pal gwe especially)?
(sorry if my message is choppy, it was typed on a laptop with a dying battery)

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/Official-Taek...3445702?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179198129&sr=8-1

Bad stances, the authors demo high punches and kicks when the text often calls for middle kicks, and even the wrong foot forward once, get richard chun for good taekwondo, i cant believe the wtf stamped its approval on this....seriously a middle punch is not above the nose =\ nor is a middle front kick above the head

plus, for this to be a training manual, very little goes in the way of basics, maybe 3-4 pages.....anyway i would get richard chuns taekwondo and advancing in taekwondo rather than this

anyone else know of good poomse books(pal gwe especially)?
(sorry if my message is choppy, it was typed on a laptop with a dying battery)

I've heard the same thing from other people about the book. One thing that irritates me in particular: having an endorsement from the WTF and being an `official' training manual for the WTF—whatever that might mean!!—are not necessarily the same thing. The WTF is in the competitive sport TKD regulation business; technical content is the province of the Kukkiwon. The two are intertwined but not the same. I don't know what it means to be the `official training manual' for an international big-$$$ sport management organization—or maybe I do: just another bit of hyped-up blather... :rolleyes:

This book has all the Palgwe forms in diagram and text form and it's cheap:

http://www.taekwondotimes.com/portal/store/store.asp?nProductID=18119

Thanks for the link!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was given this book as a gift. I used it while reconnecting with the Tae Guek poomsae. This & Sang H. Kim's videos were a big help to me as I remebered them. (I recommend Master Kim's videos much more, however.) I agree that if you hadn't learned them before, the books aren't as helpful as one would want.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I second Master Sang Kim's Palgwe Poomsae video. Very nicely done, shows the form from a number of angles and even goes through it again with the Korean and English name for each block, punch, kick and stance.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another excellent source for information on the Palgwes: Marc Tedeschi's massive encyclopædic Taekwondo: Traditions, Philosophy, Technique. Every palgwe is given in a detailed move-by-move breakdown, with an exceptionally clear photograph accompanying every move, including insets showing the move from the front if the demonstrater's back, because of the original orientation, is to the reader at the given point in the demonstration. There are detailed comments on some of the more problematic or seemingly confusing moves in each of the Palgwe hyungs. The whole volume, all 900 pages of it, is authoritative and monumental; but at around a dime a page, is one of the more expensive single volume works in the TKD literature.

What we don't have—yet—is a comprehensive guide to bunkai for the Palgwes. Stuart Anslow has published the first of a mulitvolume project on ITF hyung bunkai, and Simon O'Neil's book will be out sometime next year. But, in my correspondence with him, he's made it pretty clear that he will be giving primary attention to the taegeuks, and some of the black belt hyungs, but pretty much ignoring the Palgwes—a pity, I think, but it does leave an open door for someone with the required expertise in bunkai interpretation and practical knowledge of the Palgwes... anyone interested? You've got at least one customer already... :)

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The Official Training Manual suffices as a cheap (around $12 at Amazon) description of both the Palgwe and Tae Guk forms. No, I don't think the demonstrator is especially good either, but if you pay attention to the text descriptions, it works fine for what it is.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Official Training Manual suffices as a cheap (around $12 at Amazon) description of both the Palgwe and Tae Guk forms. No, I don't think the demonstrator is especially good either, but if you pay attention to the text descriptions, it works fine for what it is.

I have an earlier edition, which doesn't have the Palgwes at all. They're actually present in this edition?? That's very interesting, given the near-suppression of the Palgwes by the big Korean orgs during the past few decades. I figured they were going to go the way of the Pyung-Ahn hyungs. Maybe they're coming back into vogue? I've heard from people who compete that forms competitors are turning back to the Palgwes to attract attention, after a decade or so where the judges see nothing but the Taegeuks all day long... does anyone have any insights on this development, if it actually exists?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have an earlier edition, which doesn't have the Palgwes at all. They're actually present in this edition?? That's very interesting, given the near-suppression of the Palgwes by the big Korean orgs during the past few decades. I figured they were going to go the way of the Pyung-Ahn hyungs. Maybe they're coming back into vogue? I've heard from people who compete that forms competitors are turning back to the Palgwes to attract attention, after a decade or so where the judges see nothing but the Taegeuks all day long... does anyone have any insights on this development, if it actually exists?

I've been wondering the same thing, lately. I've hearda lot of folks talking about the fact that they do them at their schools (ussually after BB). I like it when people are getting exposed to more parts of the Art, rather than less.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes, the red and black cover version does contain the Palgwe forms. I bought a copy last year exactly for that reason, since I have no interest in the newer Tae Guk forms which are performed from the "walking stance". No offense intended to anyone who practices them, but yuck.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score

The USTU allowed poomsae competitors to perform the Palgwe series appropriate to their rank. I have been out of the USAT loop so am not sure if this is still the case. My understanding is that most every other country just competes under the Taeguek series.

RE: Pyung Ahns-I started relearning and will be teaching these as a tribute to the evolution of TKD.

Miles

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The USTU allowed poomsae competitors to perform the Palgwe series appropriate to their rank. I have been out of the USAT loop so am not sure if this is still the case. My understanding is that most every other country just competes under the Taeguek series.

RE: Pyung Ahns-I started relearning and will be teaching these as a tribute to the evolution of TKD.

Miles

Yes Miles they still allow the Palgwe in the USAT but alot of the official have no ideal what it is they are looking at.

I'm with you in teaching the PyungAhns to keep the evolution trail going.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Another excellent source for information on the Palgwes: Marc Tedeschi's massive encyclopædic Taekwondo: Traditions, Philosophy, Technique. Every palgwe is given in a detailed move-by-move breakdown, with an exceptionally clear photograph accompanying every move, including insets showing the move from the front if the demonstrater's back, because of the original orientation, is to the reader at the given point in the demonstration. There are detailed comments on some of the more problematic or seemingly confusing moves in each of the Palgwe hyungs. The whole volume, all 900 pages of it, is authoritative and monumental; but at around a dime a page, is one of the more expensive single volume works in the TKD literature.

I have seen this book online before, but hadn't heard anyone's reviews on it. Maybe I'll have to start saving my pennies (I am a sucker for good MA books)

What we don't have—yet—is a comprehensive guide to bunkai for the Palgwes. Stuart Anslow has published the first of a mulitvolume project on ITF hyung bunkai, and Simon O'Neil's book will be out sometime next year.

If it's not too much trouble sir, will you keep us updated on the release of Simon O'Neil's book (or is there a site we can watch for it on)?

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

plus, for this to be a training manual, very little goes in the way of basics, maybe 3-4 pages.....

I have not seen this book that you linked, but I will say that it is not uncommon to find mistakes in most of the Taekwondo Manuals (or other Martial Art books for that matter) Almost every one of the "official" books that I own are riddled with pen marks crossing out mistakes in names of techniques, stances, improper Korean terminology (even books written by Koreans - mostly it is an editing problem). Left and right stances are often switched, and photos don't always match what is described.

Personally, I am not that big of a fan of seeking "accurate" books because I believe that students should learn from instructors to get things right. Instructors should learn from their Masters, and Masters from their Grandmasters. If this chain of dissemination of information is kept in tact, we don't need books except as simple reminders of what you have been taught so you can practice on the days you are training alone. I don't care much for books that elaborate on the basics. Let the student get that from their instructor and develop a personal relationship and value for human instruction.

For a book to presume to teach someone "correctly" is to assume that people should learn from books. Personally, I don't want that good of information being readily available to the fakes and frauds who try to impersonate legit instructors. Many never earned their Black Belts, let alone teaching credentials, and they don't have any senior instructors to guide them and keep them on the right path. They open fraudulent schools, run into their back office and read a few pages in a textbook, then run out on the floor and try to teach students as though they are some kind of expert in Taekwondo.

I prefer to see books present things a little off from reality. It helps to distinguish from those who are learning properly from a genuine Master, using books only for reminders, and those who are paper-masters - who probably scanned the images and Korean Hangul off the cover of some book to make their own Black Belt certificate at Kinkos.

I think you should be proud of the fact that you can open a "Taekwondo training manual" and tell which books are a little off, and which ones are complete trash. Then, I would suggest throwing the book on a shelf somewhere and get back to real training! :)

Just a different perspective from an old geezer! :mst:

CM D.J. Eisenhart

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Good for you, Miles! My instructor teaches the Pyung-Ahns, and in addition we also learn a number of Japanese kata, in line with the original Song Moo Kwan curriculum whose core was the Pinan/Heian kata, Rohai, and several others favored by Gm. Byung Jik Ro, the Kwan founder.

Yes Miles they still allow the Palgwe in the USAT but alot of the official have no ideal what it is they are looking at.

I'm with you in teaching the Pyung-Ahns to keep the evolution trail going.

Good on you too, Terry. The Pinans/Pyung-Ahns are in a way the foundation of the karate-based MAs; there is no way they should ever have been jettisoned, Korean nationalism or no Korean nationalism.

If it's not too much trouble sir, will you keep us updated on the release of Simon O'Neil's book (or is there a site we can watch for it on)?

No trouble at all, Lauren! I'm anxiously awaiting it myself. Simon O'Neil's site is at

http://www.combat-tkd.com/Ctkd1/home.php

I would expect an announcement there about the book. I actually may write him and ask him what the state of things is, and if I get any info I'll definitely post it.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good for you, Miles! My instructor teaches the Pyung-Ahns, and in addition we also learn a number of Japanese kata, in line with the original Song Moo Kwan curriculum whose core was the Pinan/Heian kata, Rohai, and several others favored by Gm. Byung Jik Ro, the Kwan founder.

While I COMPLETELY agree with Master Eisenhart that forms should not be learned from a book....

Does anyone recommed one with the Pyung-Ahns in them? I know my instructor learned them from him waaaay back in the day, but then when the forms changed they stopped reviewing the Pyung-Ahns at his dojang. He would love to pick them back up again I would love learning them, but his master lives across the country so it is not real practical to try to learn them from him again. However, if we had a good book my instructor thinks he can "fill in the gaps" of sections that he has forgotten.

Any suggestions??
And then of course you'll have to tell me all the moves you crossed out and corrected!

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone recommed one with the Pyung-Ahns in them? I know my instructor learned them from him waaaay back in the day, but then when the forms changed they stopped reviewing the Pyung-Ahns at his dojang. He would love to pick them back up again I would love learning them, but his master lives across the country so it is not real practical to try to learn them from him again. However, if we had a good book my instructor thinks he can "fill in the gaps" of sections that he has forgotten.

Lauren—take a look at Tang Soo Do: the Ultimate Guide to the Korean Martial Art by Kang Uk Lee (1999, Unique Publications). It has all five of the Pyung Ahns, very well illustrated, with a sequence of photo displaying the moves followed by a chart showing correct foot positions for each of the moves—an unusual pairing of graphic aids that makes the intended motions as transparent as possible.

There are a number of other Okinawan kata forms in there, though the Rohai we do is a bit more elaborate than what Lee's book gives.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I like this book myself. http://www.amazon.com/Tae-Kwon-Clas...2827138?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179516641&sr=8-2

It's a book of the classic Chung Do Kwan forms up to the dan levels. It has the usual Japanese set of forms like Bassai, Rohai performed with the Korean flavor to then (more back stances than cat stances, and side kicks are present in the Pinan/Pyong An forms). The book is charmingly illustrated with drawings rather than photos and this can actually make it easier to understand. The book also has several Kuk Mu sets which is a bonus. I think these forms were taught only in the Chung Do Kwan and Oh Do Kwan lines.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like this book myself. http://www.amazon.com/Tae-Kwon-Clas...2827138?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179516641&sr=8-2

It's a book of the classic Chung Do Kwan forms up to the dan levels. It has the usual Japanese set of forms like Bassai, Rohai performed with the Korean flavor to then (more back stances than cat stances, and side kicks are present in the Pinan/Pyong An forms). The book is charmingly illustrated with drawings rather than photos and this can actually make it easier to understand. The book also has several Kuk Mu sets which is a bonus. I think these forms were taught only in the Chung Do Kwan and Oh Do Kwan lines.

Song Moo Kwan taught Rohai (still does, at my school!:)) and Bassai. It may have also taught Naihanchi... all in addition to the Pinans. Song Moo Kwan is a direct translation into Korean of Shoto Kan (`Pine tree martial training house') and Byung Jik Ro's affection and respect for the Japanese kata set he learned under Funakoshi is very evident.

Thanks very much for the pointer to that book—it looks great, and I've just ordered it from A'zon.

Latest Discussions