Questions about wearing rules in the Kans

RoninX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello everybody.

First off, i´d like to say that i´m loving this forum. I´ve notice that here people are much more nice than in the other forums, such as martialtalk. The threads focus much more the training, and much less things that aren´t real important.

Well, we all know that Bujinkan doens´t follows any strict rules, regarding the wearing. It´s very normal to see people training without a Gi, or other kinds of gi. How this would bee seen in genbukan/Jinenkan? I´ve also notice some people wearing a rag on their head. Wouldn´t that be considereddisrespectful in Jinenkan/Genbukan?

My english is very poor, so i hope you can understand me.
Thank you.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Genbukan -> black gi + black t-shirt + tabi
Beginners have to have wear the appropriate clothes within 3 months.

I dyed my white jiu-jitsu gi black. That was no problem.
I don't know if you're allowed something on your head, but my guess is that this is would be considered disrespectful and not allowed.

OP
R

RoninX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Genbukan -> black gi + black t-shirt + tabi
Beginners have to have wear the appropriate clothes within 3 months.

I dyed my white jiu-jitsu gi black. That was no problem.
I don't know if you're allowed something on your head, but my guess is that this is would be considered disrespectful and not allowed.

Hello.
I share your opinion. But in Bujinkan it seems to be acceptable.

EWBell

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It is not disrespectful to my knowledge, to wear something on the head in the Genbukan. In fact they sell hachimaki on the honbu website for the various organizations. I've seen that and regular headbands worn in my dojo.

George Kohler

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't allow anyone at my dojo to wear a do-rag (bandana, drive-on rag, durag, ect.) Hachimaki is a different story.

EWBell

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I should clarify that by headband I mean a sweat band. I don't believe a doo-rag, etc., would be allowed or is proper dojo attire. Personally I don't wear anything on my head...a little sweat in the eyes never hurt anyone. :)

OP
R

RoninX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Was the do-rag that i found strange. Hachimaki is pretty acceptable. Not that i found that is anything bad about the use of a do-rag; i just just found it a little bit strange.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the Bujinkan training attire is relaxed and I will clarify that this pertains to the dojo's I have gone to including the Hombu dojo and all the Japanese Shihan. However most people that are serious will have a Gi, tabi, etc. A do-rag in the Bujinkan is certainly not disrespectful or myself and multiple other people would have issues.
icon10.gif

Tsuki-Yomi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A do-rag in the Bujinkan is certainly not disrespectful or myself and multiple other people would have issues.
I am with you on that note. I dont wear it all the time, but I like having that option when I do feel like wearing it.

OP
R

RoninX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thank you everybody.

Now i´d like to see some opinions of Jinenkan members.

Katsujin-ken

White Belt
Reaction score
Training in my dojo, I wear my black gi w/ rank belt, indoor tabi, and occasionally, hachimaki. Sometimes I may also wear kyahan in the dojo, but I mostly wear them outdoors. If I do wear a bandana/do-rag, it's usually during outdoors training, and it's a plain, all-black bandana. Just add an extra bandana to cover the face, and you're on your way to Ninja LARPdom lol j/k

Latest Discussions