Questions about Karate lesson prices.

D

Dr. Flem

After much searching and research, I've found only two schools in my area that are within my price range.
icon_frown.gif

1. Shotokan -- http://www.shotokan.com.au/
$75/month with a $75 yearly membership. Have to buy uniform seperately. Is that alot for 2 lessons per week(3 after two months)? The teacher(or sensei?) says that after two months of training, I'm able to start on 3 lessons per week for no extra charge.

2. Goju Kai -- Still closed for the holidays but my friend goes there and she told me that it's approx the same price as the Shotokan school.

Just remember that that's $75 Australian.

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I guess it all comes down to whether you teach for money or for the love of what you do. In Shorinji Kempo we are not allowed to make money from teaching it, so classes tend to be quite a lot cheaper than the examples you listed. This very fact could be one of the main stumbling blocks for the growth of Shorinji kempo in the west.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How does the Australian currency compare to the US Dollar?

- Ceicei

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey Dr. Flem, where abouts are you located. I know a few school that are a damn site cheaper than that! Of course the suitability will depend on how far you wish to travel.

--Dave :asian:

OP
D

Dr. Flem

I'm in North Balwyn so I guess that's the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. The school in question is located in Thornbury so any help on the matter would be most appreciated. Thank you. :)

OP
D

Dr. Flem

Should mention that the uniform will cost me $140 Australian. The instructor says that it's canvas(not cotton) and is of very good quality.

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dr. Flem said:
Should mention that the uniform will cost me $140 Australian. The instructor says that it's canvas(not cotton) and is of very good quality.
Most decent Dogi are around that price or more.

OP
D

Dr. Flem

Thought that'd be standard. I suppose that the more expensive the Dogi is, the longer it'll last. I'm just a little short on cash but I don't want that to affect my decision. I'd rather be a little short on cash and go to a good school then have the money and go to a bad school.