Please help me choose a school

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sounds great, any training is better than none, hope you enjoy it, you will find one style that you like better imo.
Im actually starting Silat and Kali very soon, between 2 class' of wing chun a week.

I find that training two arts as a beginner can slow down your mastery of either. Later on it can have the opposite effect. But either way, if you really enjoy it, go ahead. I mean, is your goal to become the ultimate master in the shortest time, or to get fit, learn martial arts and have a great time doing it? I'm for the second choice.

OP
D

dan.h

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the great replies. I'm going to stick to just one art for now. I went to a free trial class of Wing Chun the other day. The instructor is great and the class size is nice and small. I got a real family feel out of it. He taught me one on one for that class. He tried to teach me just the beginning 10 or so moves of Sil Lum Tao and showed me how effective of an art Wing Chun is with various basic attack/defend scenarios. I told him that I'd start next week and try it for a month. I just received an email from another Kung Fu school in town just now though.

They said: "I would be more then happy to set up a one week free one to one lesson trial to help answer all questions that may arise. Our style encompasses many levels of training and one of these levels would be hubid lubid which translates to, "entangle and to disentangle" in which is very close to what you are looking for in Wing Chun. If you are looking for an art form that takes time and covers all aspects of the martial arts your looking for, and more, from hard to soft, standing to ground, distance to enclose, energy to no energy, give us a call to set up an interview."

I googled this sifu and it turns out he is an 8th-degree, white-sash master of Shaolin Kempo Kung-Fu. This is his bio: http://www.shakumartialarts.com/langford/wwwroot/Langford-Martial-Arts-instructors.html

What do you think? A couple days ago I was commited to joining Wing Chun but now, I'm again not too sure.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What do you think? A couple days ago I was commited to joining Wing Chun but now, I'm again not too sure.

I have no knowledge of the branch of WC you are considering or the quality of the instruction, but WC/WT in general is all about efficiency, simplicity and effectiveness. It is not flashy and does not try to be all things to all people.

This "Shaolin Kempo" school on the other hand seems quite the opposite. There's no harm in checking it out, but it strikes me that there is a huge difference between WC/WT and this stuff. That should make your choice less complicated. Oh, and if you choose WC, try it for at least three months, or don't waste your time.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is the Wing Chun section of MT, and not that I'm bias, but I'd say go with the Wing Chun school. You said it youself, it felt like a family. Sounds good to me.

OP
D

dan.h

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am going to try WC for one month because apparently, the student's first month is $80 and if he/she wants to continue, they must commit to a minimum of 3 more months. So if after the first month, I'm still uncertain, if I want to try anymore at all, I must pay another $240 for 3 more months up front.

bs10927

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i vote that you learn Wing Chun. On the Shaku website,
there's a picture of 3 guys, 1 doing a jumping split kick and 2 dudes standing to the side in a fighting stance. That sort of turned me off. haha :)

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the great replies. I'm going to stick to just one art for now. I went to a free trial class of Wing Chun the other day. The instructor is great and the class size is nice and small. I got a real family feel out of it. He taught me one on one for that class. He tried to teach me just the beginning 10 or so moves of Sil Lum Tao and showed me how effective of an art Wing Chun is with various basic attack/defend scenarios. I told him that I'd start next week and try it for a month. I just received an email from another Kung Fu school in town just now though.

They said: "I would be more then happy to set up a one week free one to one lesson trial to help answer all questions that may arise. Our style encompasses many levels of training and one of these levels would be hubid lubid which translates to, "entangle and to disentangle" in which is very close to what you are looking for in Wing Chun. If you are looking for an art form that takes time and covers all aspects of the martial arts your looking for, and more, from hard to soft, standing to ground, distance to enclose, energy to no energy, give us a call to set up an interview."

I googled this sifu and it turns out he is an 8th-degree, white-sash master of Shaolin Kempo Kung-Fu. This is his bio: http://www.shakumartialarts.com/langford/wwwroot/Langford-Martial-Arts-instructors.html

Hu bid - Lu bid?

Did they say what language they are speaking??

Thanks,

Latest Discussions