Question Time

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
What would you think if you signed up for a MA school and you never saw the Sensei teach?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd think about the need for more information?

Who is teaching the classes you attend?
Are there other classes on the roster that the 'Sensei' does teach?
What do you mean when you use the term 'Sensei'?

Because the word sensei means 'teacher', one must assume that someone is filling that role at your studio. I have to imagine you don't just show up and hang out in an empty room for a few hours.

As most studios are businesses, I would point out that operating a business does not necessarily mean that one need to competent in the skill to run the business. It could be the owner of the martial arts school hires competent teachers for his or her business. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would you think if you signed up for a MA school and you never saw the Sensei teach?

This would be a concern. IMHO, the head instructor, Sensei, etc., should be out on the floor, even if it was just a small segment of teaching. At the least, they should make their pressence known while classes are in session. Hiding in the office during class time isn't a good thing.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I wouldn't expect the Sensei to be at every minute of every class, I would find it odd if the Sensei NEVER taught.
Is the Sensei elderly or ill?
Are you otherwise happy with the instruction?
Have you heard any explaination as to why the Sensei hasn't been teaching?

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Why would this be something you only noticed AFTER you signed up?

When you signed up, "who was teaching the classes" was not a concern you had... so why is it a concern now? Something go wrong?

-D

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another question to add... how long have you been attending and not seen him? Are we talking a week? Month? Several months?

Is the guy possibly in the military? One of the local teachers at a school I've been at just left for military duty. Might be a possibility...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It would depend on what one means by "sensei". In some schools the "sensei" is the head instructor or owner while the "sempai" (or other words) are the instructors that support sensei.

It would also depend on the expectations that were there when joining the school. If I paid a pricey sum of money to train under a particular hot shot but found that all my classes were lead by his shodans, I might be a little miffed...but if the classes were lead by his shihans I wouldn't be at all concerned.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd think it was time to find another school.

I think that is very premature.

Christina liked something about the school, that's why she signed up.

If Christina observed a class before signing up, it must have been accpetable:
was the Sensei in question teaching it?
if not, this was not a problem then, why is it a problem now?
Have these other teachers done something wrong?
Or does she just want to be taught by that particular teacher? Why? ('Signed up for a hot shot' as Carol said). You think he is such a hot-shot but then you don't think his black-belts are good enough to teach you??

If he was teaching when you observed a class, why not now? Is it permanent?
Is he injured or something?? (my teacher once hurt his ankle playing soccer and had to have others teach class a lot during those few weeks)

If she didn't observe a class before signing up, what was it she did like about the school? Is she still getting that? If not, address that with the Sensei, maybe it is temporary. If she is gettign what she liked, what is the problem?

Many schools let advanced students teach the beginners. Is that what is going on? Then Christina should swallow her pride, when she is ready the head Instructor will notice her and teach her. its not unusual for the head instructor to have other instructors.

Christina, the question is too vague to be answered with any degree of clarity, IMHO.

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A short, relevant story:

We recently had a BJJ purple belt from North Carolina sign up at our school. He has now attended for a week and has yet to even meet Cassio (my instructor) because Cassio has been at the hospital with his wife and newborn baby (both in good health I might add).

I don't believe this new student, after a week of training has any qualms about his decision to join our school, and this is why:

1. He came to us because of a recommendation from a trusted instructor.
2. The people who were instructing while he's been here have been more than qualified to teach.
3. We have a welcoming atmosphere at our school, yet we train hard.
4. The quality of Cassio's instruction is evident by the quality of our students.

So, the point is that there are good reasons why a student may choose to sign up before ever being taught by the main instructor.

OP
C

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feed back it was really helpful but the question was not one of my own So I will be passing it on. I for one have been doing martial arts for a number of years and to me I would find it really odd if I never saw my instructor on the floor,Especially if he or she were in good health. This was an actual question from someone on myspace and I wanted to get someone else's opinion before I offered up my own. She said the Sensei is always in the dojo he is just never on the floor teaching. The classes are being taught by Student instructors. I for one didn't see a problem with that because I am a student instructor at my school. That was all the information she gave me so I really didn't want to jump the gun and tell her to find another school. I gave her this site info so hopefully she signs up and gives us all some more info.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Or does she just want to be taught by that particular teacher? Why? ('Signed up for a hot shot' as Carol said). You think he is such a hot-shot but then you don't think his black-belts are good enough to teach you??

Is he injured or something?? (my teacher once hurt his ankle playing soccer and had to have others teach class a lot during those few weeks)

If she didn't observe a class before signing up, what was it she did like about the school? Is she still getting that? If not, address that with the Sensei, maybe it is temporary. If she is gettign what she liked, what is the problem?

Many schools let advanced students teach the beginners. Is that what is going on? Then Christina should swallow her pride, when she is ready the head Instructor will notice her and teach her. its not unusual for the head instructor to have other instructors.

Christina, the question is too vague to be answered with any degree of clarity, IMHO.

I think you've made a few assumptions here on what "Christina" liked or observed. And rather than answering the question posed you've asked a multitude of question to further refine the question (a good idea if you want to start a discussion, but not providing the information requested). I answered with my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think you've made a few assumptions here on what "Christina" liked or observed. And rather than answering the question posed you've asked a multitude of question to further refine the question (a good idea if you want to start a discussion, but not providing the information requested). I answered with my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

yes I did make some assumptions, and asked a lot of questions... and my opinion was that I needed more information before I could have an intelligent answer.

You are of course completely free to have another kind of answer, arrived it in any way you feel best :)

But I curious, what assumption do you think I made?

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Ditto. We need more info.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
yes I did make some assumptions, and asked a lot of questions... and my opinion was that I needed more information before I could have an intelligent answer.

You are of course completely free to have another kind of answer, arrived it in any way you feel best :)

But I curious, what assumption do you think I made?
This is what you wrote:

If Christina observed a class before signing up, it must have been accpetable
I don't need any more information than the question provided. It was a very simple question, warranting a very simple answer. "Analysis paralysis" is not a trap I'll fall into. You, too, are entitled to your opinion; and I stated in my first response to you that asking more questions is a good idea, if it is a dialog you seek. I've practiced at 6 different schools in my career, and every one of them had a very, very strong owner/chief instructor presence at the front of the dojo during classes. Any other recipe is, IMHO, worth avoiding.:asian:

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't need any more information than the question provided. It was a very simple question, warranting a very simple answer. "Analysis paralysis" is not a trap I'll fall into. You, too, are entitled to your opinion; and I stated in my first response to you that asking more questions is a good idea, if it is a dialog you seek. I've practiced at 6 different schools in my career, and every one of them had a very, very strong owner/chief instructor presence at the front of the dojo during classes. Any other recipe is, IMHO, worth avoiding.:asian:

Gotta disagree. A properly developed teaching staff should have no problem providing quality instruction to the students. That's another of the primary responsibilities of a strong owner/chief instructor.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score

If Christina observed a class before signing up, it must have been accpetable

I guess you could call these "assumptions", I thougth tehy were self-evident facts: Who signs up at a school where they didn't see something they liked? Who would sign up for a class that they thought was unacceptable?

Analysis paralysis should be avoided but so should knee-jerk reactions, and the thought process that says the 6 examples you have are the comprehensive and definitive model of success.

anyways, good luck Christina's Friend.

-David

Latest Discussions