Question for Rick Tew Part Du

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
I saw #1 in a sarcastic vein and was quietly happy he didn't call it "inu yoshiki".

(which is very probably very wrong, but .....) :D
i guess that is a japanese joke. maybe should be moved to jma section ;)

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
What the matter? Can't take a little heat? Wuss!
that is the bad rep point i got... am i the one that can't take heat? ha ha ha! is that where we are now... name calling?:rolleyes: alright...

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Enson said:
i guess that is a japanese joke. maybe should be moved to jma section ;)

Oh but we can't.......Tew doesn't want to be connected to any japanese stuff. :boing2:

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
Oh but we can't.......Tew doesn't want to be connected to any japanese stuff. :boing2:
har har har!:lookie: who's we? you a moderator now? not the last time i checked. well either am i so hee hee!

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Enson said:
har har har!:lookie: who's we? you a moderator now? not the last time i checked. well either am i so hee hee!

Generally speaking "we"......

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Enson said:
k, thanks... at least you answered that one clearly.

I think most members on MT find my replies "crystal clear" .....maybe too clear for some tastes

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
Generally speaking "we"......
As opposed to the Royal "We" (always capitalized, and eyes averted if in England.) ;)

Oh! and the French "Oui" (not to be confused with the discontinued mens magazine of the same name) :rofl:

(sorry gents, but I've had waaaaaay too much caffine today. ) :D

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Enson said:
as you might have noticed we are a non japanese style that is derived from a japanese concept. might help you for the future.

A Japanese concept that, according to what I've read so far, your style has absolutely no legitimate, reputable, verifiable connection to...

Whatever. :rolleyes:

no not really... but although hayes's students use the word an-shu which pretty much means founder. the word "founder" doesn't sound as cool though does it?:rolleyes:

So its all about how "cool" it sounds? I'm guessing you meant that to be comical, but in this kind of debate I'm not really moved by your attempt at humor. Your teacher, with a Korean MA background, makes up his own style of MA and gives it a Japanese name with Japanese terms... Sure, why not. Martial arts in general are so adulterated anymore, what's one more made up, misnamed style, right? :rolleyes:

not necessarily... that is a version of a taco... it also depends on where you are from.

And for those of us on Planet Earth (where we are from) the word "sensei" is a Japanese term, literally translating as "one who has gone before," and is used commonly to address teachers (martial as well as elementary, junior and senior high school level), professors, attorneys, doctors and dentists, as well as other situations wherein one person is of significantly higher skill or experience level than another. So, depending on where you are from (and given that we are all from Planet Earth), "sensei" means, in martial context, only one thing - someone that teaches a Japanese martial art. If it is used otherwise, there need to be better explanations than "we use a Japanese concept with our Korean based martial arts."

With his background in Hapkido, why not use "sabumnim" instead? And link himself not to the ninja of Japan, but to the sulsa of Korea? At least then he'd almost be culturally consistent...

well even though you are against it... people can do whatever they want. and again its all on how your art is based. you might not like it but...

The only people who don't have a problem with someone doing "whatever they want" are a) the people doing it, and b) the people who don't know any better. Fine. You (collectively) want to be ignorant and remain so, go for it. When I and others refer to you as Hillbilly Wannabes, then be sure not to kvetch about the injustices heaped upon you... I'm just doing "whatever (I) want," right? And that's okay after all...

What if I learned RTMS and then went out to teach it the way I want, and in the process really misrepresented RTMS completely. I then went on to misrepresent the way I was trained, the death match fights that I participated in, etc. What if all of this really negatively impacted RTMS and started causing some legal problems... Would Mr. Tews and his instructors feel the same about my being able to do "whatever (I) want?" Or would he, instead, pursue some kind of restitution to him and his organization?

Essentially, you are advocating irresponsibility. Your argument, taken to its logical extreme, would imply that you endorse people who have no training whatsoever creating their own alleged martial art, teaching the ignorant and gullible public, and then refusing to acknowledge their disservice. Then again, maybe that isn't so extreme, given what we know thusfar about RTMS anyway...

not really... why would someone have to rename everything they do? because you say so? i don't think so. "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" should SENSEI TEW have to rename the katana blade too?:rolleyes:

1) If you say you drive a Harley, but you drive a scooter instead, you should call it what it is, not what you'd like it to be. If you are using a language, then use it properly or not at all. Those who misspeak, mistranslate, or otherwise abuse real, living languages just look stupid. Its not bad enough that Americans are the butt of monolingual jokes the world 'round, why go out of your way to make us all look worse?

How about if I say that "hog pick polar bear ketchup ***" really means, to me anyway, "you're a really great guy." Is that really acceptable to English speakers? But I can do whatever I like, right? No. "Hog pick polar bear ketchup ***" means nothing at all; its gibberish.

Its obvious you don't get it. No point wasting any more time trying to get you to understand. Enjoy your hapkido and "other arts" poorly disguised as pseudo-ninja training. You get what you pay for, and you get what you deserve.

I'm looking forward to the backpedaling on the thread where RTMS people are alleged to have NHB fights documented...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Regarding the "Katana" thing....

A Katana is a particular type of sword, as is a tachi, shinai, boken, dha, scimitar, foil, etc.

If someone calls a Katana a "long sword", they would be correct, for it is a form of long sword.

If however they call it a "samurai sword", thats iffy.
That is on par with calling an English longsword a "Knights Sword".
In both cases, yes the first part did use it as such, however it is like refering to a rifle as a "soldiers gun", rather than as an M-1 Carbine Infantry Rifle. Both Samurai and Knights used other weapons, other swords among them.

If someone calls a French Foil a "Katana", that is dead wrong.

Katana just sounds "cooler" to the uninformed than "Ken", which is Japanese for Sword.

Oh, as to Taco....if Americans don't understand that one....Blame Taco Bell.:)
The Greeks also have a "Taco", but they call theirs Slavaki, and I think the Chinese call theirs "Peking Duck" ;)

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
As opposed to the Royal "We" (always capitalized, and eyes averted if in England.) ;)

Oh! and the French "Oui" (not to be confused with the discontinued mens magazine of the same name) :rofl:

(sorry gents, but I've had waaaaaay too much caffine today. ) :D

And not to be confused with the "wee-wee" you have to take after many beers

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
Oh, as to Taco....if Americans don't understand that one....Blame Taco Bell.:)
The Greeks also have a "Taco", but they call theirs Slavaki, and I think the Chinese call theirs "Peking Duck" ;)

And in Japanese Taco is octopus.........

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
man........i think this is the first time ive read through a thread and lmao'd with tears.

but on a serious note.....a lot of so-called martial artists in north america have a great tendency to bend and twist anything to suit their needs or agenda. this isnt any different.
chinese kempo, japanese chuan-fa, sigung, sifu, sensei, dobak, dogi........ive been in a lot of schools that use a mish mash of words that have no relation to what they are teaching. doing this just propagates a long line of people that dont understand or correlate the terminology to its actual origins and further makes them appear unknowing, ignorant or uneducated to the facts.
i think to a lot of traditionalists....this really burns them up, simply because they are doing their best to educate the unknowing and budding student while a host of others throw around terms and such that ought not be thrown around.
i know karate and kempo have their roots in chinese martial arts. but if you are studying a japanese martial art......dont call yourself sifu because you think you ought to pay homage to the chinese.....you're just mixing people up...
dont say you practice ninjutsu if you're doing some modified form of hapkido......dont call it tai chi just because you're practicing your kata slowly.
i know this sounds like i am slamming a lot of people......but the reality is, people in north america have been doing this trading of terms for so long.....its already become a part of their modern systems.
thats all i have to say right now......i will continue my tirade after these messages...

shawn

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
Dude...that actually sounds tasty right now... :fanboy:

Im thinkin' "gordita" with baja sauce
coolyellow.gif

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The man obveously cant or doesnt want to answer, so you have a few options, leave him be, go train with him, or challenge him respectfully or disrespectfully in front of all his students.
Either way he will still keep running his buisness. And yea some of the videos are flashy and look movie like, but you have to look at the big picture, he is marketing his school, and that kind of thing attracts students. The vids dont reflect all his skill as a martial artist.
Mayby he has real lineage in ninjitsu and mayby not, either way its not going to make a difference bad mouthing the man, the only thing that would really do anything at all is a personal confrontation or some type of legal action.
When you go into a school you go to learn, if your not learning anything or your not becoming an effective fighter, then the school sucks. And everyone does not train just to fight, if people enjoy thinking that they are learning ninjitsu, or actually are, thats all that really matters.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Go train with him?

Sorry dude, bad advice. Why should anyone waste their hard earned money and time on a product if they can't get informed about the product before they buy it?

It doesn't make sense. The consumer has the right and responsability to research a product before they buy. Now sure, in martial arts, much more is learned through experience it. However, the prospective student has every right to inquire and get straight answers to simple questions on an instructor's background, the art, and the "product" (or what they'll get for their money) before they spend it and spend time in a seminar or class.

If you are a new student, I recommend that you DO NOT train with anyone if you can't get simple, straightforward answers about them and what they do...

PJMOD

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
its one thing to get answers and then say okay... but its another to get answers and use them to start a smear campaign against someone you have never met... meanwhile acting like you never got answers.:rolleyes:

check how many times i tried to answer to the best of my ability. then you look at a thread about someone elses teacher with honest questions and all you get is bad rep and a locked thread. favortism?... oh yeah!

Latest Discussions